Pickard winning backup over Berra

Zz_

Tonight the Colorado Avalanche will try to slow the Dallas Stars, winners in three of their last four gaining points in each of those games. Stars young center Tyler Seguin leads the NHL with 18 goals this season and stands with 30 points which is 2nd in the league. The onetime 37 goal scorer looks like he is on pace for a career year.

Dallas sits two points above Colorado in the Central Division as both teams have come out to an unexpected and terrible start. On the road, Dallas sits above .500 at 5-4-0 in 9 games, the Avalanche look to get back to last season’s home magic as they are struggling so far and are under .500 at 4-5-2.

Avalanche starting goaltender, Semyon Varlamov, will miss his 4th consecutive game with a groin injury. When spoken to Varlamov the 26 year old said, “Feel a lot better, I didn't skate for a week and when you're off the ice for a week you need more time to get that feeling back, your conditioning and your confidence. First day today with the team. I need a couple days more to get ready and play the game.” Coach Patrick Roy said, “Varly is doing well, just needs to get stronger, expect him to play in Montreal, but be very cautious about that.”

Along with the return of Varlamov coming, defenseman Erik Johnson will be back in the lineup tonight against the Dallas Stars. Johnson sustained a neck injury in the Avs overtime win in Arizona, Martin Hanzal, who has been suspended before for a dirty hit, caught Johnson leaning into a shot and his elbow contacted his head. Johnson laid without moving much on the ice as he feared to move from past neck issues. Erik sat out against the Chicago Blackhawks where the Avalanche lost a 3-2 thriller. John Mitchell will also return to the lineup against the Dallas Stars. Mitchell missed three games with a leg injury and feels comfortable and confident in his return to the lineup. In the return to the lineup events, Colorado has reassigned defensemen Karl Stollery and forward Paul Carey to Lake Erie. The Avalanche still have Tomas Vincour, and Ben Street called up as the Avs await the arrival of either Jamie McGinn or Jesse Winchester. Winchester has never played a regular season game with the Avalanche, Jesse sustained a concussion during the pre-season and could return sometime in the next month.

The biggest story for Colorado has been 22 year old rookie goalie, Calvin Pickard. Pickard would come in relief twice for Avs backup Reto Berra against both the Hurricanes and Coyotes. In both games, Berra would be pulled in the first period after allowing 3 goals in 10 shots or less. The rookie would be awarded with the start against the Chicago Blackhawks where he would stop 42 of 45 shots in the 3-2 loss. One goal Pickard wished he would have had back as hit pad caught the inside of the post on his slide across the crease. Even with that flaw, Pickard was outstanding, especially against Marian Hossa who had 9 shots against the rookie. Patrick Roy stated in Friday’s press conference, ““We certainly… encourage our players to play well, especially the ones that come from the minors. If they come and they play better than our guys, obviously we have to look at it, right now, he deserves to stay.” Roy would go on, “If we had to make a decision today, he (Pickard) would not go back to the minors.”

With two key players back in the lineup and a confident team with Pickard in net, the Avalanche look to get to .500 at home. Colorado only had 11 total regulation losses at Pepsi Center last regular season and stand only 6 away from that total in 11 total home games. The Avalanche would love to get on track at home where they will also take on the Montreal Canadians on Monday, December 1st. If Calvin Pickard plays as well as he did against Chicago, there is a very strong chance Reto Berra will be waived and if he clears waivers, Berra will stay in Lake Erie unless an injury were to occur to Varlamov or Pickard. Colorado will also have to wonder if Berra may request a trade and or if another goaltender may be called up in order to keep Berra off waivers again later. The Avalanche have a variety of young goalies they can call upon if needed, losing Berra would certainly  not hurt the team even if he is claimed by a team in need, such as San Jose.

UPDATE: CALVIN PICKARD WILL GET HIS 3RD CONSECUTIVE START AGAINST THE MONTREAL CANADIANS, SEMYON VARLAMOV WILL NOT RETURN IN THAT GAME. VARLAMOV IS EXPECTED BACK NOW AGAINST THE CALGARY FLAMES ON THURSDAY, DECEMBER 4TH.

@   I can't say thanks enough for these enlightening posts on the Ave's. It's like one stop shopping for all things Ave's. It's really helping me out in fantasy hockey and it's so very informative. If we had someone like you for every team, this place would be ROCKING. Keep the great posts coming!!

Haha, thanks man, I am all about the Avs man. Since I was 7, the more I can get out about them, the happier I am. Seems weird because the Avs aren't the Flyers, Pens, Leafs, Habs, etc and have tons and tons of followers, but to me, every team deserves someone to care about them! *Even the Oilers, Sabers and Canes haha.

@  Do you have a running theory on why the Ave's offense has failed so miserably this year?  Most expected them to take a step back, but I don't think many thought the offense would be this bad. Duchene seem's to be in a funk, ditto for Landy and O'Riley....weird, lotta talent to not be filling the net. I think McKinnon is experiencing the ol' sophomore jinx, kinda seen that coming.

As far as the offense goes, you have to realize they lost Paul Stastny. It didnt "seem" like a big loss, but this guy was their leader without the "C." He was the old guy in the room for the young guys as they all came up. Duchene, O"Reilly, Landy, MacK, Barrie, and others. Losing him put a void in their leadership, confidence and of course aspects of play on the ice. His loss was quite substantial. Just because we went and got Iginla did not mean that everything would be well. None of them knew him, knew of, yes of course. They had to learn him, that took away a lot of what Colorado had going. Then you toss in Brad Stuart, who did not play horrid, but played pretty bad, its a good thing that he is hurt quite honestly. The team is finally building that chemistry. Ryan O'Reilly was never projected to be that 20+ goal scorer, he is just in a bit of a funk that will break in time. He scored against the Hawks the other night, so one has to think, just maybe, he might find a groove. MacKinnon was a slow starter last season and this as well, he could just be a slow starter in the NHL for a few years. We all remember when it took Duchene a while to get going, MacKinnon just needs a few more seasons to maybe be that, "boom" we think he is. Matt has been hit and miss this year and it might be because O'Reilly is lost right now. He and Duchene usually get hot together, without Jamie McGinn, I feel both their production falls off. McGinn is out indefinably, no return time set. 

We have seen the Avs go 4-2-0 (more than likely a win tonight as they are up 5-2 with 3mins left) 5-2-0 in the last 7. They are all starting to click, and now with Pickard establishing that the Avs are solid in net with Varly coming back, I feel the Avs are about to come on. I do not see Pickard back in Lake Erie, and I do not see the Avs under .500 for much longer. Plus, we have 7-9 guys, that are injured, so once everyone is healed, I see them rebounding well. Its all about confidence and timing, some guys especially young guys, take a little longer to get there. Just wait for it!

@jammer2

@  Totally agree with all of that. The loss of Stasney was indeed huge. Like you said, Landy might have had the C, but Paul was highly respected in the room and gave the kids a stable veteran presence to look up to. He's the type of guy that would have helped them out of the early season slumps they were experiencing.

Like you, I feel the Ave's are much better than what they have shown thus far, they will come around.

I've got a few more questions to ask you.....

1) will Joey Hishon ever get a legit shot?  I think the kid is super talented and still think he has a lot of offensive upside. I do think he's a bit of a tweener though, he has the kind of skill set that says "top 6 forward" but don't know if he has the defensive acumen to handle a bottom six role. I know the concussion really set his career back, but I still hold out hope that he has a future in the NHL. The kid has nice wheels and good hands, which usually translates to an NHL career of some sorts. Problem is, the Ave's top 6 and their depth at center may make it necessary to trade him. Time will tell.

2) My feeling is Holden has the same kind of skill set as Barrie. Considering how many teams are looking for offensive d-men with upside, maybe a trade for a more defensive minded defender would work for both teams involved.

3)It looks like the Stuart signing was a big mistake. Is he tradeable?

4)Is Pickard a viable threat to steal starts from Varlamov when he gets back?  Do you still think Varly is the unquestioned goalie of the future for the Ave's, or has Pickard brought some doubt into that line of thinking?

5)Being a Windsor Spitfire fan, I got a chance to see Mitchell Heard play a few games for division rival Plymouth Whalers. I came away very impressed. He has some nice wheels, is very physical, has a nice shot and will stick up for teammates at the drop of a hat. He fought in Windsor and threw some very nice right handed bombs. He's the type that will fit into the bottom six very nicely and provide some offense also. Do you think he has a chance to stick with the Ave's long term?

@jammer2

1) will Joey Hishon ever get a legit shot?  I think the kid is super talented and still think he has a lot of offensive upside. I do think he's a bit of a tweener though, he has the kind of skill set that says "top 6 forward" but don't know if he has the defensive acumen to handle a bottom six role. I know the concussion really set his career back, but I still hold out hope that he has a future in the NHL. The kid has nice wheels and good hands, which usually translates to an NHL career of some sorts. Problem is, the Ave's top 6 and their depth at center may make it necessary to trade him. Time will tell.

*Joey Hishon is a great asset for the Avs, however, with the guys they have (not including Dutch and MacK) there is a slim shot he makes the NHL with Colorado. He played solid in the post-season for the Avs this past year in three games. He showed he can be solid defensively and on the face-off. Sadly Colorado has drafted, signed or traded for a TON of centers, which makes it harder for Hish to get the call up plus, this season he is on a contract that would require him to be waived if called up and sent back. So Roy would need to be 100% that Joey will stay in the lineup to get the call this year. Sadly, I see him being a trade piece or a UFA rather than a full time Av. He has the skill, but is also a huge injury risk after sustaining that concussion vs Brayden McNabb a few years ago. I do not ever see him playing top 6 in Colorado, if he is lucky, top 9 - yet you have, Talbot, Mitchell, Winchester, Street, Vincour, Sgarbossa, on and on. Makes it hard, Sgarbossa is in the same boat, I do not see him playing for the Avs much in his career, he will be a trade asset or end up a UFA - and we all know Sgarbossa is a hidden gem that has yet to be given a full end shot. 

2) My feeling is Holden has the same kind of skill set as Barrie. Considering how many teams are looking for offensive d-men with upside, maybe a trade for a more defensive minded defender would work for both teams involved.

*Sadly, Holden has been terrible this season, he had only  4 points (1g,3a) and he is a -15! He has been the 3rd pair majority of the season when a lot of us thought he could maybe play 2nd pair. I don't know how to explain it other than, the I played hard enough to get a good contract and now that I am set, I am good and don't have to prove anything. However, I think that he can find a way back into a groove, but he an Guenin have both been miserable. Minus the fact that Elliott would need to be waived if called up, Roy could consider giving Duncan Siemens a shot and sitting Holden once injuries subside. With the loss of Ryan Wilson for the season, it would be hard to see the Avs moving Holden. Then again, stranger things happen in the NHL, yet Holden's value has sunk this season and in order to get fair value for him, he would need to be on a terror. I don't see Holden traded this season, if he plays this way all year I could see a possible off season move. Maybe even training camp, someone can beat him out and he will end up in Lake Erie. 

3)It looks like the Stuart signing was a big mistake. Is he tradeable?

Staurt was a HUGE mistake, the fact that we signed him to a 3 year deal before he ever played was so very dumb. Although, Staurt in 14 games was a -4 when many others we -8 and worse. You do have to remember though, he is on a new team, learning new guys and a new system. It took the entire club about nearly 20 games to get their crap together, so Staurt has been "ok" considering the situation of the entire club. I feel that he should have to work his way back onto the roster like anyone else though. Lets just say magically, Holden and Guenin get hot, EJ, JH, Barrie and Redmond are playing well, I cannot justify yanking any of them in favor of Brad. Roy likes to say, "Make it hard for me to take you out." That should go for Vets too. Id say the same thing about EJ, Barrie, MacK, Dutch, Landy and ORY. If Holden is still playing sub-par though, by all means yank him and vis-versa. As far as trading Stuart, I am not sure to be honest, he is a cup winner, I think if a playoff team needed one guy that has been there that is a solid 3rd pair guy, yes. Yet what the Avs would get back, I highly doubt would be what we gave. I think once he comes back, if he can get into the lineup, I feel like he will redeem himself if we make the post-season. 

4)Is Pickard a viable threat to steal starts from Varlamov when he gets back?  Do you still think Varly is the unquestioned goalie of the future for the Ave's, or has Pickard brought some doubt into that line of thinking?

I felt Pickard should have been called up two years ago when they called Sami Aittokallio up instead. I feel like he has been ready for the NHL for awhile, however, Varlamov is the unquestioned #1 in Colorado. His consistency and injuries have been an issue, but Pickard gives the Avs that SOLID #2 guy that they have needed for a long time. You get both these guys hot and I could see Pickard playing every 3rd-4th game. Roy always wants his #1 to play 3 and sit 1, if Pickard posts a shut-out on say 40 shots, I there is a chance he could steal a 2nd game but in Roy's eyes, Varly is the man and has proven it. Even though he is 4-5-4, all but MAYBE 2 of those games, the Avs had a chance but couldn't come back. Pickard is making them doubt Berra, lets just start with that, if he pulls a Gibson from the Ducks or and Anderson and just comes out booming, them we can discuss it them. 

5)Being a Windsor Spitfire fan, I got a chance to see Mitchell Heard play a few games for division rival Plymouth Whalers. I came away very impressed. He has some nice wheels, is very physical, has a nice shot and will stick up for teammates at the drop of a hat. He fought in Windsor and threw some very nice right handed bombs. He's the type that will fit into the bottom six very nicely and provide some offense also. Do you think he has a chance to stick with the Ave's long term?

The Avs drafted Connor Bleackley this past off-season, because of that, I see Mitchell Heard being similar to Cody McLeod and Patrick Bordeleau, he will be older when he gets a shot and will be a grinder the Avs need in the future. That will be 4-5 plus years from now though, unless he proves some great stuff in camp in the next few years, but I see him a lot like Sgarbossa and Hishon, he may never get that shot as an Av. Especially with the way Joe Sakic has come in an drafted, it just seems unlikely but many surprises come from no where. I like Bleak to make the team before Heard which would leave him to fight out a winger to play in the NHL. I dont know what he can play, I dont watch too much of him, but if he is diverse he will have a shot when PB or CM leave the Avalanche. Possibly when Mitchell or Talbot leave, who knows, it is all really speculation. 

Duncan Siemens - in 46 games last season with Lake Erie had 1g 3a and was a -1 ----- In 16 games this season he has 0g 3a and is a -2, offensively he is doing much better, obviously, however he is still a little lack on defense, but that comes with his role as a defensive dman. He is only 21, he has plenty of time to continue to learn, I think it would be good for the Avs to call him up this season at some point to see what it takes to play at that level. Only two Monsters D are + in the +/- aspect and Karl Storlley is a -1, so he is not doing too terrible considering Bruno Gervais and Maxime Noreau are combine -11, two guys the Avs see as depth defense. 

I do not think he is a lock to make the team next season, however, if Guenin, Holden, Gervais, Noreau, Elliott, Bigras and Geertsen do not sparkle, he will have a shot. I think Bigras would be the MOST ideal to make the team next season. He is quick and can be explosive, his last two training camps, Roy could have easily kept him but wanted to benefit him via development in the last two seasons. He is stuck in juniors, so no chance he gets a call up (NHL rules) but I think he will be tough to not make the team next season. I think Elliott is a lost cause for Colorado and could be GREAT trade bait - only because the Avs have Tyson Barrie, Elliott cannot stand side by side with Barrie, similar to why the Avs traded Kevin Shattenkirk, the up and coming Barrie/Elliott. With Geertsen, Siemens and Bigras, Elliott is expendable. Although, I think if the Avs would have known the D Shatty would turn into, they wouldnt have traded him. 

But no, no lock on Siemens, though he will play with the Avs unless randomly traded, I see him as a top 4 in the future. He took a minute adjusting to AHL and is now beginning to understand it much better. 2 years from now though, I could bet he will make them team unless the Avs magically get 4 outstanding defense. I used to talk to him the year he was drafted and he went though A LOT of bad stuff off the ice that messed with him mentally and he is just now getting back into shape. 

Although, I think if the Avs would have known the D Shatty would turn into, they wouldnt have traded him.

Geez, I don't know how they missed the potential of Shattenkirk. To me, it was clear he would be a and offensive force and very respectable all round d-man when he was with Colorado. He's the second best d-man on the Blues, but only because Pieteranglo is so amazing. Shats would be a clear #1 on many teams in the NHL....you just don't trade away guys like that.

I think that we had Joe Sacco at the time, Greg Sherman, just a lot a BAD BAD BAD things happened back then. We thought that Johnson would all of a sudden be a threat on D and Shatty was going to stall. Blues have GREAT D development, I doubt i will EVER understand that ENTIRE trade......ever...

Archived