Strange Brew- Bruins year in review

yave1964

m8po6GM_TWxIT8YcoMEu3nA.jpg PRESEASON EXPECTATIONS: The Bruins won the Presidents trophy with the leagues best record last year and have been among the leagues elite. In spite of having to donate Boychuk to the Isles and living in Cap Hell, enough talent was there that most pundits thought the Bears would again be among the leagues elite.

FINAL RECORD:41-27-14 96 Points 9th in East, missed playoffs.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON: March 14th, the Bruins won five in a row to pull to 36-22-10 with consecutive wins over the Flyers, Wings, Lightning, Senators and Penguins. They had a seven point lead over Ottawa and owned the tiebreaker with only 14 games to go.

LOW POINT OF THE SEASON: The Bruins went 5-5-4 down the stretch, including losing their final three games to miss the playoffs by 2 points.

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Bergeron stayed healthy all year and led the team (23-32-55) in scoring. Marchand was a super pest and led the club with 24 goals. Loui Eriksson (22-25-47) bounced back somewhat. Dougie Hamilton and Torry Krug established themselves as a couple of brilliant young blueliners. Tukka Rask was brilliant at times. 18 year old David Pastrnak was forced into action and didnt embarrass himself. Ryan Spooner was solid in 29 games.

WHAT WENT WRONG: Chara was injured for much of the year and was not himself when healthy. The team was up against the cap all year with no wingers and everything they tried (save for Pastrnak) failed. They traded for Connolly from Tampa who got hurt and missed all but the final few games. The signed Simon Gagne who bombed. Max Talbot was a washout. Soderberg had a 24 game goal drought, he was expected to provide offense and added only 13 goals. Reilly Smith took a step backwards from 20 goals and 51 points to 13 and 40. David Krejci was injured and not himself when in the lineup. In spite of all of this, they still only missed the postseason by 2 points.

STRANGE STAT: Brad Marchand had only 2 power playmIQeGic3Uneu0vs1dG8qBhw.jpg points among his 42 that he scored in spite of being 4th among Bruin forwards in PP ice time.

UFAs:

Greg Campbell

Adam McQuaid

Daniell Paille

Matt Bartkowski

Carl Soderberg

TOP PROSPECTS FOR 2015-16:

Gotta start with a whole season from Spooner and Pastrnak who both showed flashes of top six forward written all over them. Malcom Subban may make a run at the backup goalie spot next year. Alex Khokhlachev is considered a solid top nine forward prospect who is expected to stick next year, Seth Griffith will likely take a spot vacated among the 4th line by Campbell or Paille.

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS:

Do you resign Soderberg? Can you fit him under the cap? The wingers and the injuries to Chara and Krejci killed this team last year, do you believe those two will stay healthy, and can you find scoring among the current players or do you risk trading a young blue chip d-man for a guy like Eberle? They missed the playoffs by 2 points, do the Bruins see the current roster capable of making those points up? Is that enough, or do you go big and make a play to try to get the team into cup contender contention again?

Bruins ...according to Chirelli are parting ways with Paille/Campbell.

Not sure if McQuaids stock is as high as it once was.

Bartkowski? Meh. I like that kid Trotman.

Soderberg you re sign. Hes the real deal and should be our second line centerman.

Trade Krejci.

Offer Chara to the Leafs because they are stupid and desperate to take him....for draft choices of course.

Lucic???????????? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????????

@nORRis8

The Lucic???????? was that addressed because I didn't mention him? Or because you are unsure of where he fits with the Bruins?

I didn't mention him because he was not what went right, he was not what went wrong, his numbers do not stand out as anything special one way or the other. He didn't hurt or help the Bruins, he was not the reason they missed the playoffs, he wouldn't have been the one who got them over the top either. Just a body at this point. A uniquely talented player but skill wise he has eroded but not to where he is a hindrance. That is my opinion. Yours?

@nORRis8

The Lucic???????? was that addressed because I didn't mention him? Or because you are unsure of where he fits with the Bruins?

I didn't mention him because he was not what went right, he was not what went wrong, his numbers do not stand out as anything special one way or the other. He didn't hurt or help the Bruins, he was not the reason they missed the playoffs, he wouldn't have been the one who got them over the top either. Just a body at this point. A uniquely talented player but skill wise he has eroded but not to where he is a hindrance. That is my opinion. Yours?

I mentioned him that way due to being undecided. ...which I am.

Seems like he peaked two years ago.

Hes not physical. Hes not scoring. He seems on a different page than everyone else.

Archived