Bad Juju

WingNut722

Speaking of Larkin, @yave1964 did you have any idea that he would be this good this fast? The kid just totally gets this game. Can't believe he's only 19! How the heck did he get passed over long enough to let us pick him? I know he can score, but he is making other players better too. Slick passing. Opportunistic and solid D for a O man. +19 is just sick! It's amazing how few 5-on-5 goals have been scored with him on the ice. Just a handful. That's what I think is amazing. Other young forwards might score, but they also tend to give up lots of goals too. Not Larkin. He's responsible. Smart. Fast!

Z had a great start, but has slowed down to pedestrian levels. Pav's not yet really going. Little flashes here and there, but nothing consistent yet. It will be quite a thing if these guys can get their games back along with Larkin, Green, and Richards, adding to Tats and Nyke. If that core gets going offensively without coughing up chances, this could be a very interesting season.

I do not believe that ANYONE could have predicted  the year that Larkin is having, I saw him play once last year with Michigan against Ohio State and he was very good, stood out with his speed, and I watched a lot of the Griffin playoff games and saw that he was able to play among men. But no, nobody could have possibly seen this coming. Loving it.

If anyone had said that Datsyuk would be a non factor, that Z would slow to a crawl, I doubt anyone could have predicted a 10 game point streak. Usually as those two go, so go the Wings. The times they are a changing.

@WingNut722

I am the ultimate Hockey Card geek, well over a hundred thousand, I have just a ridiculous amount of cards, many based off of themes. For instance I have an autographed card of every single member of the 1997 and 1998 as well as 2002 Red Wings, I am putting the 2008 Wings autographs together. Larkin, when his card first came out a month ago it was going for 25 bucks on line, I waited for the initial rush to die down, 10 bucks is still a bit pricy for me for a rookie, if he were with any other team no way would I have spent even that much, but well........

I never got to be that kind of card nut.  Sure I collected baseball cards when I was a kid, but they were always thrown into a shoebox.  I had no idea at the time that there was a trade in collecting.  Now I hear that people buy packs of cards and specifically don't open them because of which card MIGHT be inside and it needs to be kept in perfect mint condition.  We traded them with friends for other cards, but never money.  Dear simple days of youth............

@yave1964 @SpikeDDS

I'm thrilled to say that I watched the game last night!

Happy to see the Wings be able to top the conference leaders in decent fashion.  Some things could be better (some things could have been a lot better) but you have to be happy that they scored more goals than the other guys.  Two points is two points.  

I didn't like the way they played later in the second.  Too many turnovers, and I think the Habs ended up with 4-5 odd-man rushes in that stretch alone.  

You could also tell that Blash was taking no chances late in the third on the final power play.  Having the team just dump short outs over the blue line instead of taking risking icing the puck.  He's tired of going to overtime as much as the players are.  Plus they had a plane to catch to come out here.

Looking forward to seeing tonight's game against the Devils.  They've been having real solid goaltendeing of late, but are dealing with the particularly heavy injuries with both Zajac and Henrique being out.  Still the Devils are rested.  We'll see!  

@WingNut722

Wish you could get to the game tonight and show the colors!!

Solid win last night, smith and Marchenko were not so hot but the rest of the team brought their A game. Really like the way the team is playing right now.

I was listening to the Canadien postgame last night, the announcer insulted Abdelkader, talking about how he has five goals now on the year that have deflected off his body, not even touching his stick and kind of snorted that 'all ten of his goals combined probably would not even make it from one end of the ice to the other.' Well all I can say is it is ten goals, and you do not get extra points for distance. Meet the new Holmstrom, only Abby can do things that Homer never could. Love that he is getting into other teams heads that way too.....

To me the most impressive part of the game last night was the last ten minutes of the third the Habs only managed two shots on net. The Wings simply shut the game down, tied and then took the lead and finished them off by smothering them. Just a super team win.

So we are still a five hundred club or so without Datsyuk, but damn near unbeatable with him in the lineup. That still concerns me, he is old frail and brittle, it is amazing though that even when his offense is off he dominates the way he does. Other teams shots on goal are down by over five a game when he is in versus when he is out. That is not even talking quality chances.

The one quibble on the year, we have 18 home games, only 11 on the road. Eventually the difficult stretch will kick in, we have to prove that we can win away from the Joe. Tonight we draw the Devils who are without Henrique to injury. They are playing good solid hockey but I think it is Schneider, Henrique, Camelleri and smoke and mirrors. Hopefully we drill them early tonight.

GO WINGS!

Archived