OHL Expansion Team in Lansing, Michigan

OHLinLansing

I am in the process of starting a civic campaign with a group of area high school students to raise interest and support for an OHL expansion team in Lansing, Michigan. Are there any forum members who have carried out similar efforts in their respective communities? Also, what might be some ways a group such as this can launch a quality campaign? Obviously, any notion of an OHL expansion franchise in Lansing will have to consider the construction of an appropriate arena and the presence of the very popular Michigan State University Men's Hockey Team. Hopefully, this will provide a great learning experience for students and perhaps lay the groundwork for bringing professional hockey back to Lansing since the ill-fated Lancers.

19 hours ago, OHLinLansing said:

I am in the process of starting a civic campaign with a group of area high school students to raise interest and support for an OHL expansion team in Lansing, Michigan. Are there any forum members who have carried out similar efforts in their respective communities? Also, what might be some ways a group such as this can launch a quality campaign? Obviously, any notion of an OHL expansion franchise in Lansing will have to consider the construction of an appropriate arena and the presence of the very popular Michigan State University Men's Hockey Team. Hopefully, this will provide a great learning experience for students and perhaps lay the groundwork for bringing professional hockey back to Lansing since the ill-fated Lancers.

I wish you luck, it's a admirable goal, having the 2nd best league in the world in your city. You need grassroots support, ie city council, who will need to approve the tax funded (or supported) building of a arena, like you stated. Without that willingness on the part of tax payers, the mayor, city council, there is no starting point. Perhaps getting signatures to get the arena question on the next election ballot....I believe that is how it works in Michigan.

edit...also, you need a rich owner willing to foot the bill, the OHL has a lot of expenses, but is also a great investment. I remember Steve Rolio, the former Spits owner bought the team in the early eighties for 150,000...he sold to Rychel and Bougner for 5 mill plus....they are now worth over 15 mill .....so a great investment if the deep pockets are there...and the owner must be free of all criminal ties....a HUGE vetting system in place....also...you need to prove you have the population density to sustain a franchise....the best way to show this is commitment to season tickets in the form of a small refundable down payment...ie,  putting your money where your mouth is. One thing to say you will buy season tickets, another to fork over hard cold cash.

edit #2....lol, welcome, good to have you!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear @jammer2,

Thanks so much for the information...I understand that getting an OHL franchise for Lansing will be a daunting task. This will be a great opportunity for students to conduct research on a wide range of issues and work to raise interest in an OHL team. One good piece of news regarding this is the Lansing Community College Center for Student Engagement may have students also assist mine (high school students) in putting together a presentation for he Lansing Area Chamber of Commerce and OHL officials. I attended the Flint Firebird's open house on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at the Dort Federal Credit Union Event Center where I discussed in detail with Firebird officials about this project. They were all very supportive and willing to provide any information or assistance. Additionally, I am planning on attending several games this year and am willing to promote the Flint Firebirds in the Lansing area on a voluntary basis. Lastly, I am excited that Joe Dellandrea was drafted by Flint! Please let me know any other ideas regarding what could/should be covered in a general (not a super in depth market feasibility study) presentation.

Thanks,

OHLinLansing

1 hour ago, OHLinLansing said:

Dear @jammer2,

Thanks so much for the information...I understand that getting an OHL franchise for Lansing will be a daunting task. This will be a great opportunity for students to conduct research on a wide range of issues and work to raise interest in an OHL team. One good piece of news regarding this is the Lansing Community College Center for Student Engagement may have students also assist mine (high school students) in putting together a presentation for he Lansing Area Chamber of Commerce and OHL officials. I attended the Flint Firebird's open house on Tuesday, May 24, 2016 at the Dort Federal Credit Union Event Center where I discussed in detail with Firebird officials about this project. They were all very supportive and willing to provide any information or assistance. Additionally, I am planning on attending several games this year and am willing to promote the Flint Firebirds in the Lansing area on a voluntary basis. Lastly, I am excited that Joe Dellandrea was drafted by Flint! Please let me know any other ideas regarding what could/should be covered in a general (not a super in depth market feasibility study) presentation.

Thanks,

OHLinLansing

"Please let me know any other ideas regarding what could/should be covered in a general (not a super in depth market feasibility study) presentation. "

Ok, this might be piped up thought process, ha ha...but my feeling is you *should* be courting Flint, and getting the Lansing message out there. It's a great advantage for teams to hop on a bus and arrive in under an hour for a road game, that takes the grind and expenses out of things. More importantly, Windsor is right in the mix, very close. Sarnia not to far away and London just up the 401.  These teams should all be in favour of a team in Lansing. You should be getting the message out via various media outlets. In Windsor, the #1 rated news show is Channel Six, News Now from CTV. I actually know the weatherman (lives in my builiding) and have a legit door into a possible interview. It's easily the top rated show local show and would get the message out the quickest.

Windsor should really be the target to team up with, biggest population base and a team that is about play in it's 4th Memorial Cup, putting them in some select company.....but promoting a Flint vs Lansing rivalry at the same time...that is just smart.

Passing thought.....since the OHL has a cap on non Ontario natives, this means more and more opportunity for Ontario kids, which is great. The more expansion teams, the less chance of a Ontario native being denied his dream of pro hockey. It's really a double win, for Ontario kids, and the communities in the USA, that get access to this great league. Ontario is so deep with young talent, I believe they could easily supply a few more teams without any risk of watering down the talent.

Dear jammer2,

I would like very much to work with the Windsor Spitfires and Windsor media to help get the word out regarding the OHL franchise in Lansing! I will be traveling to Windsor this weekend (June 17-19) If you are able and interested, I am available to meet to discuss in more detail this project. I really appreciate your interest and enthusiasm in assisting me with this. It is really awesome!

Take Care,

Jason

On 6/12/2016 at 0:08 PM, OHLinLansing said:

Dear jammer2,

I would like very much to work with the Windsor Spitfires and Windsor media to help get the word out regarding the OHL franchise in Lansing! I will be traveling to Windsor this weekend (June 17-19) If you are able and interested, I am available to meet to discuss in more detail this project. I really appreciate your interest and enthusiasm in assisting me with this. It is really awesome!

Take Care,

Jason

I'm working 12 hour shifts all weekend, night shift at that....we'll have to make it another weekend.

Dear jammer2,

It turns out I will not be going to Windsor this weekend after all (my girlfriend had something come up). Please let me know a weekend or weekday that works best with your schedule. I am on summer vacation due to teaching, making my availability quite flexible. Another idea I am considering is to start an online petition for Lansing area residents to show their support for an OHL franchise. This might a good way to alert the local media regarding the initiative. Thanks again for your time and interest.

Take Care,

Jason

The best to catch me in the near future is late June, specifically Sat the 24th and Sun the 25th. I start my 2 week vacation that weekend, so I basically have a free schedule from the 24th on.

I've been going to OHL games since the late 70's....just love the league. It would be amazing to actually help jumpstart a franchise. I don't think there will be a problem getting this on the Channel 6 news....in fact, I'm thinking the Sports Editor would find it an interesting topic. Probably the best way to go about it is to get your credentials in line, just so the News station (and or the Spitfires) know that the wheels are in motion (ie some supporting documentation from city council etc) and it's not a fly by night kinda thing. The very best outcome would be to get either Boughner (Spits coach) and or Rychel(Sptis GM) to comment on a possible team in Lansing. That would *instantly* put you on the radar......from that point the story could very well get picked up by the various CTV stations throughout Ontario.....hell, maybe even the CTV National News....who knows?

Like I said, the Spits would welcome this scenario....shorter bus trips, less travel....plus a expansion team to beat up on....LOL~!!

• 3 weeks later...

jammer2,

Just got back from a long vacation in Vermont. I apologize for the delay in getting back with you. I will not be able to go to Windsor this weekend (I know you said in your previous post that you are on vacation). Please let me know a weekend before the end of summer and I will try to arrange something. I am in the process of reaching out to various parties in the Lansing area for letters of support as per your suggestion. One organization that may be helpful is the Lansing Lugnuts (minor league baseball). There is no overlap between the OHL season and the Midwest League's. I will contact them fairly shortly and see if there is any interest. Lastly, I was able to meet Brenda Mavety of the Kingston Frontenacs. She seemed interested in and supportive of the student project. Additionally, she stated there may be an opportunity for the students to present to an OHL official. Thanks again for your help and support.

Sincerely,

Jason

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2016 at 10:16 AM, OHLinLansing said:

jammer2,

Just got back from a long vacation in Vermont. I apologize for the delay in getting back with you. I will not be able to go to Windsor this weekend (I know you said in your previous post that you are on vacation). Please let me know a weekend before the end of summer and I will try to arrange something. I am in the process of reaching out to various parties in the Lansing area for letters of support as per your suggestion. One organization that may be helpful is the Lansing Lugnuts (minor league baseball). There is no overlap between the OHL season and the Midwest League's. I will contact them fairly shortly and see if there is any interest. Lastly, I was able to meet Brenda Mavety of the Kingston Frontenacs. She seemed interested in and supportive of the student project. Additionally, she stated there may be an opportunity for the students to present to an OHL official. Thanks again for your help and support.

Sincerely,

Jason

The meeting with the Kingston employee sounds very promising. I'm off the weekend of Aug 20 and 21st....I have a lot of OT scheduled for Aug....if you do come, try to give me some advance notice so I can set some wheels in motion.

Sorry for the late response, forgot to check this thread. Just saw the date on your post and it was early July....lol.

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2016 at 11:39 AM, OHLinLansing said:

Dear jammer2,

I will let you know when a trip to Windsor is on the horizon...hopefully sometime in the near future. Thanks again for your help.

Take Care,

Jason

Just a tip, if you quote me, I will see your post for sure. If I forget to check into this thread, I might miss a post you sent me. Or a private PM would do the job also.

Archived