Delay of game on a goalie

timelydew

hey, I was trying to familiarize myself with the delay of game rule since I heard it changed slightly this year, but in doing so I came across a part of the rule pertaining to goalies. "A minor penalty shall be imposed on a goalkeeper who, when he is in his own goal crease, deliberately falls on or gathers the puck into his body or who holds or places the puck against any part of the goal in such a manner as to cause a stoppage of play unless he is actually being checked by an opponent."

it made me think back to the infamous steve smith own goal. say a team's defenseman collects the puck and skates around to the side of the net, and fumbles the puck near the post. the goalie, at the last second, in trying to prevent an own goal from happening, freezes or holds the puck against the post/goal net or scrambles to cover it in the crease to prevent it possibly going in (with no attackers nearby), would he be subject to this call or would a ref use good judgement and allow for the freeze to happen it if was close to going in off the defenseman's mishandle? i would imagine an allowance would be made if its in the act of playing goal even though it's a teammate?

I'm back for more.

4 hours ago, timelydew said:

hey, I was trying to familiarize myself with the delay of game rule since I heard it changed slightly this year, but in doing so I came across a part of the rule pertaining to goalies. "A minor penalty shall be imposed on a goalkeeper who, when he is in his own goal crease, deliberately falls on or gathers the puck into his body or who holds or places the puck against any part of the goal in such a manner as to cause a stoppage of play unless he is actually being checked by an opponent."

it made me think back to the infamous steve smith own goal. say a team's defenseman collects the puck and skates around to the side of the net, and fumbles the puck near the post. the goalie, at the last second, in trying to prevent an own goal from happening, freezes or holds the puck against the post/goal net or scrambles to cover it in the crease to prevent it possibly going in (with no attackers nearby), would he be subject to this call or would a ref use good judgement and allow for the freeze to happen it if was close to going in off the defenseman's mishandle? i would imagine an allowance would be made if its in the act of playing goal even though it's a teammate?

I'm back for more.

The intent of that rule is to prevent a goalie from freezing the park when no one is around him. Good example would be on the penalty kill when the team dumps the puck down the ice and it happens to go on net. Goalie cannot freeze the puck if there's no pressure on him. Most times a referee will be telling the goalie to play the part.

21 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

The intent of that rule is to prevent a goalie from freezing the park when no one is around him. Good example would be on the penalty kill when the team dumps the puck down the ice and it happens to go on net. Goalie cannot freeze the puck if there's no pressure on him. Most times a referee will be telling the goalie to play the part.

Oh yeah, I know the intent just fine, but in this unique situation, if the puck almost enters the net on a near own goal, and the goalie who's down and out can't make a safe play with the puck if he barely keeps the puck from going in the goal, I think an empathic ref would whistle play dead. If the goalie recovers and players haven't converged on him quite yet, I think that's when you'll see the ref implore him to move the puck.

Archived