Game 3 Flyers at Ducks 10/07/17 10:00 pm

OccamsRazor

45 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

Thank the hockey gods  that West Coast trip is over.  Whatever ass hole  at league headquarters decided that an Eastern conference team  should open up the season on a three-gam West Coast road trip deserves to get punched and throat. I watched the ffirst period, but that was it.

Still have to go through Nashville to get home.  The fun continues.  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Grossmann ? really, that's interesting.  

I haven't thought about a comparison for Hagg.

I think his ceiling is way higher than a  Grossmann type player based on my limited viewing of him.

Also, that shot from Fowler was a damned rocket, your take is pretty harsh, that shot beats 95 % of NHL goaltenders. :cheers:

If Grossman had been more mobile his ceiling would have been a lot higher too.  

Not for nuthin though, I think Hagg also has eyes that Grossman maybe never did.  Hagg can make a nice pass if he needs to.  

All that said though, Grossman wasn't bad for a while.  He just became not quite good after the first season or two.

21 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yikes Steve Mason in Winny- Peg!!!!

His statline so far: 0-2 11 goals against 6.53 gaa 831%

Look like Ron resigned the right goalie from where i sit!!!!!!

:dancing:

Mason took a gamble and it didn't pay off.  

There are many reasons why Hextall extended Neuwirth and not Mason, but none of them were that Hextall thought Neuwirth was just plain better. Hextall needed to sign someone to meet the Vegas requirements.  The only guys he could sign that would qualify were Neuvirth and Mason.  Anyone else he'd have to trade an asset (even if it was just a pick) to get and Hextall clearly prefers using his assets for things he intends to actually USE as part of the rebuild someday.  Neuwrith and Mason are not in that long term vision.  Clearly.  

That said, I think what Mason was looking for to stay in Philly was probably much much more than he ended up getting in WNPG. I think between Dallas, Calgary and others, he probably thought he was covered.  At the time there were a lot more teams that were going to need goalies and between the end of the season and the Vegas draft, most of them sorted it out on their own without needing to dip into the FA pool.  

Hextall didn't just because he didn't want to give up any assets in a trade the way Dallas and others did. So he signed Neuvirth at the deadline, probably when he was sure no one was going to trade him a qualifying goalie under contract for next year and probably because Neuvirth was asking for less than mason and probably because (fainting and having the worst season in the NHL aside) Neuvirth is just lower maintenance than Mason.  And I say this as the guy that completely believes Hextall did the wrong thing in that whole Mason/Reese/Berube confrontation a few years ago.    Berube was being an arse and risking Mason's long term health and the long term benefit to the team and Reese knew it and Hextall should have known it too.  He probably he did, but being a "good soldier" erred on the side of Chain of Command.  That was a mistake.  Because he probably knew he was about to can Berube anyway. 

Water under the bridge.  I'm happy with Elliot for a few years.  Hopefully we're looking at Hart/Sandstrom  backed up by Lyon/Stolarz in two years.

Archived