Seven keys to Ranger success

Paparanger

Going back a few weeks ago when the Rangers were on their famous winless streak, Dave Maloney was on an interview with NHL Radio on Sirius XM talking about the Rangers shortcomings.

One of the things he said about the state of the Rangers was this (And not word for word) Basically he said " Unfortunately,  the Rangers are a team that do not believe in building with youth. They are in the constant hunt for the cup using star players from other teams and ownership is more interested in having celebrities in the seats with a couple of stars on the team."

Now , this is what he said (Not me) and like I said not word for word but you get the picture. Remember that movie from a long time ago called Field of Dreams with Kevin Kostner and James Earl Jones ? There was a scene where James Earl Jones said that famous line; "If you build it, they will come" Well for me that is the mindset of the Ranger organization; "If We Ice them, they will come."

Now it is unlikely that Cablevision will sell MSG and everything associated with it anytime soon to include the Knicks, Rangers, Liberty and all the other holdings, but if James Dolan decided to sit back and allow management to do their jobs, the Rangers could have a shot at some point. But not the way they are going it now.

So... I present my seven keys to Rangers Success  

1. Allow Jeff Gorton to do his job without interference from ownership

2. Relieve Glen Sather of his duties

3. Fire Alain Vigneault

4. Send Henrick to a contender

5. Shed some salary (Nash, Stall) (* Resign Nash for less cash)

6. Amass assets through trades and draft

7. Play the kids so they can learn and build from within

MSG makes money in spite of themselves. Unfortunately, when you have that much money to burn a sports franchise becomes more of a toy to play with rather than an asset you try to build on. 

Archived