Problem

blocker

I watched a prep school game yesterday.  One of the schools was a place I'd never heard of.  It was obvious early that they  didn't belong on the ice with the other team.  Their players were being run over.  They weren't skilled, big, fast, or whatever to compete.  The officials wisely chose to declare running time before someone got injured.   That game exposed a problem.  In the US, there are a lot of people and institutions who take advantage of kids dreams or parents egos.  Kids who lack the ability to play at a high level are given the chance because a parent was willing to write a check.    And hucksters take advantage.  Don't know the answer, but it's a problem.

The day wasn't a total loss.  Between the second and third periods, I'm in the restaurant area.  This kid comes along and flips a sports drink bottle onto my table.  The bottle lands right side up.  I ask the kid to do it again.  He did it.  Not only can he do it, he was able to make the bottle land upside down on it's top sometimes.  

Nice to see someone who knew what he was doing.

Archived