Paul Maurice 10th all time in wins

yave1964

The title says it all, Paul Maurice earlier this year passed Alain Vigneault and Ron Wilson and currently sits at 10th all time in wins. I am not gonna lie, when I first read that I thought it had to be a typo but it is true he sits at 655 wins currently two ahead of Mike Babcock who is right behind.

Next on the list are a couple of former Flyer coaches in Keenan and Quinn both of whom should be passed this season, next season he will pass Dick Irvin and has a shot at catching Ruff so by April of next season he has a very good shot of being 6th all time in coaching wins.

I have never given thought to him as an all time great,  he has been coaching in the NHL for 21 years now in Hartford, Carolina (twice) Toronto and Winnipeg. In twenty one seasons he made it to the Cup finals with a good but not great Canes team in 2001-02  and last year his Jets made it to the WCF. That is about it, no other deep runs, in fact his teams have missed the playoffs 12 of the first 20 seasons he has coached.

Like I said, I was kind of stunned when I realized that he was already around as long as he has been, it doesn't seem possible and I dont think he is an all time great. Of course the Jets are well built and a cup win or two, retiring in the top four or five in total wins would in all likelihood get him into the Hall someday.

Archived