Wings trade for Marc Staal

yave1964

From the Wings standpoint, simply this.

UGH.

The Wings agreed to take Staal and his one year at 5.7 million remaining on his contract and in exchange the Rags sent the Wings a second rounder as well. There are future considerations  going back, probably a used Zamboni or something like that, the Rangers are just pleased to be rid of the albatross of a contract for such an average defender.. 

I hate Staal, there is no more overrated player in the game playif Staal played anywhere else but New York he wouldnt even be an afterthought, he would have been irrelevant, He cannot shoot, he is slowing morevery year, he really cannot even play anymore.

Wings happy to add a future asset in a second rounder, the Rangers happy to clear cap space.

The trade for Staal combined with resigning Sam Gagner are proof the Wings arent taking 2021 serious.

1 hour ago, Brewin Flames said:

Meh, looking to the future...

They add a d man at price (for one year) but get that second rounder...

Rangers needed cap relief, giving up a second was a fair price for them. As for the Wings, assuming there is a 2021 season, Staal will likely be moved for a 3rd or so at the deadline. So essentially for a little money we get a 2nd and likely a 3rd so i guess it is a win/win. My problem is that Staal is one of my least favorite players in the game, i have never understood the media love for him, i know he is a good interview in a game with vanilla cliché players and supposedly a really nice guy but lets be honest, he isn't much of a player and never has been. Yeah he has played 800 plus games so there is something there but he is a 2nd pairing stay at home d-man on his best day and his best day is waaay in the rear view mirror and for some damn reason every time i watch a Rangers game he is treated by the announcers as if he is the second coming of Brian Leetch. 

• Like 1