Flames sign Coleman, 6 yrs $24.9 mil

Brewin Flames

Flames sign Coleman to six-year deal, add Zadorov in trade

The Flames acquired defence Nikita Zadorov from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for a third-round pick and are set to sign former Tampa Bay Lightning forward Blake Coleman in free agency.

TSN.ca Staff

•  

The Calgary Flames have added offence and defence via different routes on Wednesday.

The Flames acquired defenceman Nikita Zadorov from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for a third-round pick and signed former Tampa Bay Lightning forward Blake Coleman to a six-year, $29.4 deal in free agency.

Coleman will carry a cap hit of $4.9 million under the new deal.

Zadorov appeared in 55 games last season for the Blackhawks and posted a goal and seven assists.

The 26-year-old joined the Blackhawks from the Colorado Avalanche in a trade prior to the season.

Zadorov spent five seasons with the Avalanche and has also played for the Buffalo Sabres.

The Moscow native has skated in 411 career NHL games and has 23 goals with 60 assists.

He was selected in the first round, 16th overall, in the 2013 NHL Draft by the Sabres.

Adding a Two-Time Cup Champion

The 29-year-old Coleman spent last season with the Tampa Bay Lightning, scoring 14 goals and adding 17 assists in 55 regular-season games.

Coleman was coming off a three-year, $5.4-million deal he signed with the New Jersey Devils in July 2018.

He was dealt from the Devils to the Lightning in February 2020 in exchange for Nolan Foote and a 2020 first-round pick.

In 301 career NHL games, Coleman has 71 goals and 55 assists. He was selected in the third round (No. 75 overall) of the 2011 NHL Draft.

• Good Post 1

Funny how everyone and their dad had Coleman "going home to Dallas" even during the Finals run.
Goes to show that NOTHING is guaranteed till it happens.

At any rate, the Flames are getting an excellent middle six forward, good puck skills, versatile, and can be physical.

4.9M AAV isn't terrible for him, but definitely higher than the Bolts could afford had they wanted to keep him.
I honestly feel he is more of a 3-4M tops type of player, but hey, he helped the Lightning to TWO Cups, paid for himself many times over for his former team, and now it was time to cash in, so congrats to him and good luck moving forward with Calgary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Funny how everyone and their dad had Coleman "going home to Dallas" even during the Finals run.
Goes to show that NOTHING is guaranteed till it happens.

At any rate, the Flames are getting an excellent middle six forward, good puck skills, versatile, and can be physical.

4.9M AAV isn't terrible for him, but definitely higher than the Bolts could afford had they wanted to keep him.
I honestly feel he is more of a 3-4M tops type of player, but hey, he helped the Lightning to TWO Cups, paid for himself many times over for his former team, and now it was time to cash in, so congrats to him and good luck moving forward with Calgary.

Haha yeah with everything all the speculation is just that, but yeah he brought you guys 2 Cups so was time to make him richer.

For me I like his size and speed and toughness like you said, and I do agree we overpaid by around the amount like you said - but it seems to me that price have gone up for all the free agents, looks like most of the big signings are way more than anyone in the media suspected.

Tampa losing many key players, can't wait till season starts to see what'll be left and what they add too.

It what you said in other thread, Florida adding alot, hopefully Tampa can keep up!

7 minutes ago, Villella McMeans said:

Haha yeah with everything all the speculation is just that, but yeah he brought you guys 2 Cups so was time to make him richer.

For me I like his size and speed and toughness like you said, and I do agree we overpaid by around the amount like you said - but it seems to me that price have gone up for all the free agents, looks like most of the big signings are way more than anyone in the media suspected.

Tampa losing many key players, can't wait till season starts to see what'll be left and what they add too.

It what you said in other thread, Florida adding alot, hopefully Tampa can keep up!

Bolts should still be good, even after losing the players they did.
Difference will be, they likely won't have the level of dominance they had.

More of a "good team" that can make the playoffs, and could possibly still make a deep run, but won't steamroll anyone as they work in new bodies and bring up younger players to become NHL regulars.

I wouldn't say a player like Blake Coleman is "easy" to replace, but the Lightning DO have some younger guys that play with his style.....they just need to learn to play the pro game as well Coleman did.

• Like 1