What does Steve Yzerman have to do?

SpikeDDS

So I'm reading Sean McIndoe's most recent column (Down Goes Brown) reviewing the offseason moves and ranking each NHL team. I get to the Detroit Red Wings and read this:

Their offseason in one sentence: It was another relatively quiet offseason for Steve Yzerman, although he did land Alex Nedeljkovic for a third and get him signed to a reasonable deal.

Quoted from this (paywall protected): https://theathletic.com/2864598/2021/10/05/down-goes-brown-from-the-bottom-feeders-to-the-true-contenders-finding-a-spot-for-all-32-teams/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

I thought, given what we had and what was necessary to do, that Steve Yzerman did quite a lot this offseason to improve our team. No, he didn't go after any bigger-name FA's, nor SHOULD he have.

Perhaps this will make us an underrated surprise this season!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SpikeDDS said:

So I'm reading Sean McIndoe's most recent column (Down Goes Brown) reviewing the offseason moves and ranking each NHL team. I get to the Detroit Red Wings and read this:

Their offseason in one sentence: It was another relatively quiet offseason for Steve Yzerman, although he did land Alex Nedeljkovic for a third and get him signed to a reasonable deal.

Quoted from this (paywall protected): https://theathletic.com/2864598/2021/10/05/down-goes-brown-from-the-bottom-feeders-to-the-true-contenders-finding-a-spot-for-all-32-teams/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

I thought, given what we had and what was necessary to do, that Steve Yzerman did quite a lot this offseason to improve our team. No, he didn't go after any bigger-name FA's, nor SHOULD he have.

Perhaps this will make us an underrated surprise this season!

So many things to love about this offseason

FIRST Finally rid of the ridiculous contracts that hamstrung this organization, last year Ericsson and Abdelkader moved on, this year Helm and Nielsen did the same. Glendening took a third of what he had been making to continue his NHL career. Bernier got over 4 million a year from new jersey for three years, at his age the Wings wiseley let him move on. Filpulla left as well. We moved on releasing Svechnikov and Choowski a couple of first rounders from the previous regime who didnt pan out. No anchor contracts hanging over the teams head.

SECOND the trade for big Ned and drafting Cossa finally filled the biggest need in the organization, real true young NHL goalie and top tier goalie prospect. massive need filled.

THIRD Defense has been a glaring weakness, Seider after two brilliant years of growth is looking ready to step in and be a beast. Veteran Nick Leddy was added for a second and brings steady calm to the back end as well as skill and can play in any situation. A weakness is now a strength and we drafted Simon Edvinsson who in a year or more than likely two should pair with Seider for a monster top pairing.

FOURTH Raymond seems a lock to make the team likely on the top line with Larkin and is considered a favorite to win the Calder Trophy in many circles. Zadina looks bigger than last year without losing any speed and his confidence level is through the roof. Pius Suter was a steal in free agency to fill a middle six center role. Larkin and Fabbri are healthy as is Bertuzzi all of whom missed significant part of last year. The only crack here is the loss of Vrana until January, and Bertuzzi being unable to play road games in Canada due to not getting the Covid shot. Nonetheless, the skill level at forward is miles above what it was last year.

Spike, I still dont see us as a playoff team. The Division we are in plays a factor, Tampa, florida, Montreal, Boston, Toronto are all among the games best teams, we would have to leapfrom one or even two of them to make the playoffs which isnt going to happen. We would be in the thick of things out West where Calgary, the Kings, Vancouver, San Jose and Anaheim, all bad teams or at the least flawed all compete. I think we are better than any of them with the possible exception of the Canucks.

I see an 85 point season, not enough to make the playoffs but an improvement with next year when we start to push. At the very least as I wrote elsewhere we will be interesting to watch which is more than we can say for the past three or four years.

• Like 1

@yave1964

I agree on very likely not making the playoffs. I'm willing to be surprised, though! I see them within shouting distance of it, but probably falling short, and probably by more than just a point or two.

That said, I completely disagree with McIndoe. for this organization, short of winning the draft lottery, this has been just about as busy and productive an offseason as we've hade since we were ACTUALLY competing for a Cup. "Relatively quiet?!" I think he's gotta be DEAF!

• Like 1