Kraken, Wright sign ELC

Brewin Flames

Wright Stuff: Signs Contract

All accounts lead to Shane Wright staking a long, productive NHL career. The next step was signing his entry-level contract Wednesday at Kraken Development Camp

by Bob Condor / @ByBobCondor / nhl.com/kraken
 3:08 PM
  •  
cut.jpg

The dream week continues for Kraken top draft choice Shane Wright. Last Thursday, he was smiling and telling a teeming group of reporters at the NHL Draft that "he couldn't be happier" to join the Kraken, fending off any suggestions of disappointment about order of selection.

Wednesday, Wright was signing his three-year NHL entry-level contract at center ice at Kraken Community Iceplex after this week's development camp scrimmage. A full house of fans cheered the newest Kraken signee, contract in view. Wright even got the opportunity to skate a lap and toss out a plush fish to a lucky fan.

Shane Wright and Ron Francis signing contract on ice

"I couldn't be happier to be in Seattle and be a part of the Kraken organization," Wright said. "Getting to see the city for the first time this week, I can't wait to get back here and get to work. It was truly an honor to be drafted by the Kraken. This is just the beginning and I'm really excited about what lies ahead."

Wright did plenty during his amateur days to whet the appetite for a long, productive NHL career as a centerman. The Kraken earned straight-A grades from all media reviews of the recent draft with the Wright selection top of mind.

cut.jpg

• 00:17 • 12 minutes ago

Wright pleased the crowd earlier in the championship game of the scrimmage with an NHL-caliber assist on a Luke Henman goal to secure the scrimmage bragging rights. He has made any number of eye-popping moves all week here at development camp.

"I love the city so far," said Wright earlier this week. "It's super special to be a Kraken. It's such a great fit to be a member of this team and help build a championship team."