J.T Miller 7 yrs, $56 Million

Brewin Flames

Vancouver Canucks sign leading scorer J.T. Miller to 7-year, $56 million contract

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The Vancouver Canucks signed forward J.T. Miller to a seven-year, $56 million contract Friday.

The 29-year-old Miller was Vancouver's leading scorer last season with 99 points on 32 goals and 67 assists in 80 games. He was set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of the 2022-23 season.

The Canucks acquired Miller from the Tampa Bay Lightning at the 2019 NHL draft for goalie Marek Mazanec, a third-round pick in the 2019 draft and a conditional first-round pick in the 2020 draft.

Drafted 15th overall by the New York Rangers in 2011, the 6-foot-1 American has 169 goals and 285 assists in 637 regular-season games with New York, Tampa Bay and Vancouver.

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure the Canucks had lots of offers to choose from when it came to possibly trading JT Miller to a contender....and they probably could have gotten a nice haul for him too.

But I am glad Vancouver decided to keep him on. He is one of the few players on the team that is nice combination of scoring, grinding and attitude on the ice that any contender likes to have.
Is 8M too much? On the surface, 8M for most players does seem like its too much, but I will go out on a limb here and say, that unless Miller's body suddenly breaks down on him, 8M is about right for the 'do-everything' type forward he is.

From things that I have read, he wants to be there, is respected as a leader amongst his peers in the locker room, and simply gets things done on the ice as well. Well worth the investment for a team looking to win now rather than in 5 or 6 years from now.

I'd like to see the more Canucks adopt  Bruce Boudreau into their mentality (aggressive, pressuring forward units with an emphasis on scoring and nastiness....at least menacing defensively, if not airtight defensively), so they can really take steps to being serious contenders, but JT Miller is a player that personifies that style of play.

Of course, with Miller now making the big 8.0 per on the millions scale, it will be interesting to see what team captain Bo Horvat will be getting as he is a UFA after this coming season and currently sits at a 5.5M cap hit....very similar to what Miller was at before the big raise.

• Like 1