Elmer makes the roster

SpikeDDS

The big surprise to many who hadn’t heard much about him before training camp is that Elmer Soderblom has made the opening night roster. He will be the third rookie in the past 2 seasons to do so.

But if you were paying attention to training camp, it was pretty clear that not only were the Wings leadership pretty excited about what this kid’s potential is because of his size, but that he responded well even knowing that leadership was looking at him closely. He really delivered showing that he’s got great hands despite being 6’8”. Wings leadership has targeted him for the net front, especially on the PP. There just aren’t very many who can answer for his size. You’ve gotta like what his future holds.

Joe Veleno made the cut too. His last couple of games sealed the deal. Now he’s gotta contribute to keep it that way. He made the team despite being waivers-exempt, so he must have earned it enough. If he hadn’t, he be traveling I-96W right now.

I was kinda hoping we might see Berggren, but not right now. I don’t think it will be too long before he makes his Red Wing debut. Edvinsson will eventually as well. I would expect Berrgren before Edvinsson unless injuries make Edvinsson lore of a need. I don’t think Berggren is gonna learn much more in GR than he already has. He’ll be ready.

Can’t wait to get this season going! LGRW!

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 4:53 PM, SpikeDDS said:

The big surprise to many who hadn’t heard much about him before training camp is that Elmer Soderblom has made the opening night roster. He will be the third rookie in the past 2 seasons to do so.

But if you were paying attention to training camp, it was pretty clear that not only were the Wings leadership pretty excited about what this kid’s potential is because of his size, but that he responded well even knowing that leadership was looking at him closely. He really delivered showing that he’s got great hands despite being 6’8”. Wings leadership has targeted him for the net front, especially on the PP. There just aren’t very many who can answer for his size. You’ve gotta like what his future holds.

Joe Veleno made the cut too. His last couple of games sealed the deal. Now he’s gotta contribute to keep it that way. He made the team despite being waivers-exempt, so he must have earned it enough. If he hadn’t, he be traveling I-96W right now.

I was kinda hoping we might see Berggren, but not right now. I don’t think it will be too long before he makes his Red Wing debut. Edvinsson will eventually as well. I would expect Berrgren before Edvinsson unless injuries make Edvinsson lore of a need. I don’t think Berggren is gonna learn much more in GR than he already has. He’ll be ready.

Can’t wait to get this season going! LGRW!

Heavy,heavy game by that line thethree of them meshed so well. Truth is I have about given up on Rasmussen but IMHO he was by far going away the absolute best player on the ice and that counts everyone. Elmer, Ras and sundquist were amazing last night.

It speaks volumes as to the depth of the squad that suter and zadina were the only two who played every single game last year and both were healthy scratch last night. And we had more shots through two periods than we had in 53 games last year for the whole game. And Husso was fantastic. 

1 hour ago, yave1964 said:

Heavy,heavy game by that line thethree of them meshed so well. Truth is I have about given up on Rasmussen but IMHO he was by far going away the absolute best player on the ice and that counts everyone. Elmer, Ras and sundquist were amazing last night.

It speaks volumes as to the depth of the squad that suter and zadina were the only two who played every single game last year and both were healthy scratch last night. And we had more shots through two periods than we had in 53 games last year for the whole game. And Husso was fantastic. 

I 100% agree with you. Ras was the best skater in yesterday’s game from either team. Elmer simply made him better. It takes the pressure off. Ras is no longer the biggest man. Both played strong games, but Ras was better! Elmer will get all the. Headlines—and rightly so—but real hockey people saw Ras making a very loud statement last night. He looked as though he is accepting his role as a 3rd line center, and if he can become dominant at that role, it makes us VERY hard to play against.

The past few seasons, we’ve talked about being hard to play against, but it’s been more rhetoric than reality. This line has the potential to screw up opposing defense strategy. Who do you play your shutdown line against? And if you put them against the Larkin line, will this Biggie Big line make a smaller opposing line pay?

But let’s be patient. After all, this was the Habs. They aren’t very good. We need to compete like this consistently and against more competitive teams. But you’ve gotta at least wonder if the size of this line changes our competitive calculus. I think it very well could, and it may hinge more on Ras than it will on Elmer. We may be seeing return on what has been a slower-than-we-would-have-liked development of a first round pick. Many will complain that since he’s not a 1- or 2C that he is a “bust.” If he can become a dominant 3C and brings Elmer with him, it changes the game for us.

It’s the most excited I have been in years. I won’t lie!

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1