Tage Thompson 5 goal game 12/7/22

Brewin Flames

Sabres' Tage Thompson ties team record with 5 goals vs. Columbus

Buffalo Sabres forward Tage Thompson tied a franchise record with five goals against the host Columbus Blue Jackets on Wednesday night.

Thompson tied the mark at 16:07 of the second period, which put the Sabres up 7-2 on their way to a 9-4 win. It was his 21st goal of the season. He became the second Buffalo player with five goals in a game, joining Dave Andreychuk, who accomplished the feat against the Boston Bruins on Feb. 6, 1986.

Thompson's five goals are the second-most in a road game. Only Red Berenson of the St. Louis Blues had more, scoring six at the Philadelphia Flyers on Nov. 7, 1968.

Through two periods, Thompson had six points.

"It's definitely a rewarding feeling," Thompson said. "You've spent a lot of years working to get to this point and to be rewarded for it is a pretty good feeling and it just leaves you hungrier."

Tage Thompson joined Hall of Fame forward Dave Andreychuk as the only players in Sabres history to score five goals in a single game. Photo by Kirk Irwin/Getty Images

Thompson helped open the scoring with a secondary assist on Dylan Cozens' power-play goal at 3:21 of the first period. He started his onslaught of goals at 5:32 of the period on an assist from Alex Tuch. After defenseman Rasmus Dahlin made it 3-0, Thompson scored again just 22 seconds later on another assist from Tuch. Thompson's third and fourth goals of the period came 4:18 apart, both on power plays.

"That was an amazing performance by Tage, and really the whole group set the table," Sabres coach Don Granato said. "I thought the energy, the collective effort, the focus to start was really good and enabled that to happen."

Thompson scored four goals in just 5:14 of ice time. He became the first Sabres player to score four goals and earn five points in a period. Thompson became the fourth player in NHL history to score four goals in the first period, the last being Peter Bondra of the Washington Capitals in 1994.

"We didn't have an answer for that one line," Blue Jackets coach Brad Larsen said. "Tage Thompson just tore us up tonight."

The most points scored in an NHL regular-season game is 10 by Darryl Sittler of the Toronto Maple Leafs on Feb. 7, 1976. The most goals scored in an NHL game is seven, set by Joe Malone of the Quebec Bulldogs in 1920.

• Good Post 1

I know Thompson is stealing all the highlight in Buffalo these days, and deservedly so. But there is another star in Buffalo, quietly born - Dylan Cozens. Man, what a stud!  There is literally NOTHING this guy cannot do on the ice. Granato uses him in all the situations: PP, PK, even strength... Making cuts, navigating through a neutral zone, playing against the opposing team's best players, one-on-one coverage, his work without a puck... he does it all. I can see why he was a 7th overall pick.  And in a couple of years, I won't be surprised if he challenges for a Selke trophy winner. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, Mad Dog said:

I know Thompson is stealing all the highlight in Buffalo these days, and deservedly so. But there is another star in Buffalo, quietly born - Dylan Cozens. Man, what a stud!  There is literally NOTHING this guy cannot do on the ice. Granato uses him in all the situations: PP, PK, even strength... Making cuts, navigating through a neutral zone, playing against the opposing team's best players, one-on-one coverage, his work without a puck... he does it all. I can see why he was a 7th overall pick.  And in a couple of years, I won't be surprised if he challenges for a Selke trophy winner. 

Yes and Quinn and Paterka are not bad either.  Power is playing great too. Some real great assists he has made.  Power and Bryson both out right now.   Bryson is no slouch either and Dahlin is having a great year. too.  Luukenen seems to be improving?  I hope.  But if he goes South again, we need to pull a deal on a goalie.   They just won at Colorado and at Vegas.  Now granted McKinnon is out and so is Eichel  That likely helped.  But Ill take them.  Now home to wear the red and black vs the Lightning. I am going to make a prediction that Jack Quinn gets at least one in that game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Yes and Quinn and Paterka are not bad either.  Power is playing great too. Some real great assists he has made.  Power and Bryson both out right now.   Bryson is no slouch either and Dahlin is having a great year. too.  Luukenen seems to be improving?  I hope.  But if he goes South again, we need to pull a deal on a goalie.   They just won at Colorado and at Vegas.  Now granted McKinnon is out and so is Eichel  That likely helped.  But Ill take them.  Now home to wear the red and black vs the Lightning. I am going to make a prediction that Jack Quinn gets at least one in that game.

Yes, the future in Buffalo looks bright.  I know people are tired of hearing this as it's been perceived that Buffalo has perennially had a young and building team and nothing to show for. But I feel like this time around it's different.

Particularly Thompson, Cozens, Dahlin, Luukonne, and Jack Quinn will be a core of this team for many years to come, barring some unforeseen circumstances, of course. It's not just them having a good year. They *are* already a core of this team.

Dylan Cozens especially has impressed me.  He is mature beyond his age. He plays important minutes on ice. There are almost no flaws to his game.  He plays against the opposing teams' best players in crucial moments of the game as Granato has confidence in him.  He has a high hockey IQ. He is great with and without the puck.  He doesn't take shifts off, which is why they call him "Workhorse from Whitehorse".  His puck possession and ice vision in a neutral zone is unparalleled. And he is only 21 years old. He reminds me of young Patrice Bergeron. 

In a couple of years, these players will make people forget that Eichel ever played for Buffalo. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Yes, the future in Buffalo looks bright.  I know people are tired of hearing this as it's been perceived that Buffalo has perennially had a young and building team and nothing to show for. But I feel like this time around it's different.

Particularly Thompson, Cozens, Dahlin, Luukonne, and Jack Quinn will be a core of this team for many years to come, barring some unforeseen circumstances, of course. It's not just them having a good year. They *are* already a core of this team.

Dylan Cozens especially has impressed me.  He is mature beyond his age. He plays important minutes on ice. There are almost no flaws to his game.  He plays against the opposing teams' best players in crucial moments of the game as Granato has confidence in him.  He has a high hockey IQ. He is great with and without the puck.  He doesn't take shifts off, which is why they call him "Workhorse from Whitehorse".  His puck possession and ice vision in a neutral zone is unparalleled. And he is only 21 years old. He reminds me of young Patrice Bergeron. 

In a couple of years, these players will make people forget that Eichel ever played for Buffalo. 

Except me.  Still pissed at Adams.  And I have his brand new number 9 Jersey .  Don’t forget we have Alex Tuch and the kid Power to help also.  I still think the Eichel thing never should have happened.  Vegas sure needs him.  One of best teams when he is in lineup. Won at Boston