Kane, Toews: Trade Decisions on Horizon

NHL HHOF

cut.jpg

Toews could be facing 'last few weeks here' with Blackhawks

3-time Stanley Cup champ trying to return from illness, shocked by trade of Kane to Rangers

by Tracey Myers @TraMyers_NHL / NHL.com Staff Writer

https://www.nhl.com/news/jonathan-toews-may-be-playing-final-games-with-chicago/c-342811226

CHICAGO -- Jonathan Toews returned to practice with the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday for the first time in two months, hoping to come back and play before the end of what could be his final season with the only team he has played for in his 15 NHL seasons.

"It's definitely special for me," said the 34-year-old center, who has not played since Jan. 28 and announced on Feb. 21 he was stepping away from the Blackhawks to deal with effects of long COVID-19 and Chronic Immune Response Syndrome, which kept him out the entire 2020-21 season.

"Regardless of what happens in the future this summer, it's definitely on my mind that this could be my last few weeks here in Chicago as a Blackhawk, and so that's definitely very important for me to just go out there and enjoy the game and just kind of soak it in and just really appreciate everything I've been able to be a part of here in Chicago and show my appreciation to the fans as well."

Toews helped the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup three times as their captain (2010, 2013, 2015), but Chicago is 24-43-6 this season and has been eliminated from playoff contention. The Blackhawks, 15th in the Western Conference, have nine games remaining, including hosting the Dallas Stars on Tuesday (8:30 p.m. ET; NBCSCH, BSSW, ESPN+, SN NOW).

Chicago has been aggressive in remaking its team this season, highlighted by the trade of franchise forward Patrick Kane to the New York Rangers in a three-team trade that also included the Arizona Coyotes on Feb. 28. Toews and Kane had been teammates since each entered the NHL with the Blackhawks in 2007-08 and played their 1,000th NHL game together in a 7-1 loss to the Rangers on Dec. 18. Toews is in the final season of an eight-year contract he signed on July 9, 2014.

"I would say, for myself, personally, probably, I was definitely shocked," Toews said in his first public comments since Kane was traded. "The possibility was there for a while, but, yeah, 'It's not actually going to happen,' you know? You just can't see a guy like him in another jersey. I heard he was flying home from San Jose to kind of wait things out until the trade was actually going through. I think it might have been Tuesday night or something. And then, I realized this is for real.

"All of a sudden, you see him in a New York Rangers jersey. It kind of looks good on him, to be honest with you. I hate to say that. Just happy to see him enjoy himself playing with some really good players and being reunited with a guy like 'Breadman' (forward Artemi Panarin). 'Kaner' is such a competitor that it's going to feel good for him to go out there and play some meaningful games in the playoffs and play on the big stage.

"So it's been tough though to watch the changes that our team has gone through. The guys that have been a part of this room these last few years, namely a guy like Kaner, who I've played with my whole career and come back in the locker room right now, and it feels a lot different."

Despite Toews being limited to 46 games this season with 28 points (14 goals, 14 assists), he said he was looking forward to trying to return for a few more spins on the ice with Chicago this season.

"Yeah, it's nice," he said. "It's something you take for granted. You definitely realize when you're out of the routine and away from the locker room, not going on the road with the boys, all that stuff, and you're just kind of on your own slugging through every day, so that part of it's not easy. So it's definitely nice to be back and be on the ice with the guys."

Blackhawks coach Luke Richardson said Toews being around again is a boost.

"Didn't talk to him after [skate] but it was great to have him in there, just his presence in the room for the meetings and on the ice," he said. "Just talking to him about helping 'AA' (forward Andreas Athanasiou) with some face-off tips and stuff like that. It's great to have the leader back in there and hopefully this progresses to the next stage."

Named Blackhawks captain as a 20-year-old on July 18, 2008, Toews won the Conn Smythe Trophy voted as MVP of the playoffs in 2010, the Selke Trophy as the League's best defensive forward in 2012-13 and the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award in 2014-15. The No. 3 pick in the 2006 NHL Draft, Toews ranks sixth in Blackhawks history with 880 points (371 goals, 509 assists) in 1,060 regular-season games, and fifth with 119 points (45 goals, 74 assists) in 137 playoff games.

Toews, who also skated on his own over the weekend, couldn't pinpoint when he'd be back in the lineup but hopes to be ready in a few more days.

"Regardless, I wouldn't say to expect much," Toews said with a grin. "But I'm just going to try and go out there and play with energy and have some fun, so we'll see when that might be."

Toews last played in 7-3 loss at the Edmonton Oilers on Jan. 28. Around that time, he said his health really took a turn for the worse.

"I don't know if it was when we were on the road a lot or leading up to the [All-Star] break," he said, "and it just got to the point where I couldn't move on the ice and didn't even want to put on my skates or roll out of bed to come to the rink.

"So, it was pretty rough there for a bit. And so, I think it probably took me a couple of weeks of just wrestling with, in my own mind, trying to figure out what the right decision was, if I should keep trying to push through it, which really didn't feel like an option anymore, or kind of pulling the plug in and trying to focus my energy on getting better."

Toews said he keeps learning how to treat his long COVID and looks to others who have gone through the same, including Vancouver Canucks forward Brandon Sutter, who missed all of last season and this one with it.

"I know even Brandon Sutter was approached and talked to the media recently," Toews said, "and him and I have been in contact here and there, and even having someone like him to reach out to and we've dealt with a lot of the same similar symptoms over the last couple years. So I think it's helpful to hear from him, and I think for my situation, it's just trying to calm the symptoms and not put too much stress on my body, so I think these last few months have been good for that."

cut.jpg

Toews to return for Blackhawks on Saturday, unsure of future

Center 'not near making that decision yet' after being sidelined 2 months

https://www.nhl.com/news/chicago-blackhawks-jonathan-toews-to-return-saturday-unsure-of-future/c-342952642

CHICAGO -- Jonathan Toews will return to the Chicago Blackhawks lineup Saturday, but is not ready to say the final seven games of the regular season will be the last of his NHL career.

"To be fully honest, I'm not near making that decision yet, and I don't feel like with what I've been through this year and this past season that I have enough clarity on what that decision will be," the captain said Friday after practicing with the Blackhawks for the third time this week.

"I'm just kind of doing my best every day to get healthy and get back into a good place mentally and physically."

The 34-year-old center will play when the Blackhawks host the New Jersey Devils at United Center (8 p.m. ET; ESPN2, SN NOW). He has not played since Jan. 28 and announced on Feb. 21 he was stepping away from the Blackhawks to deal with the effects of long COVID-19 and Chronic Immune Response Syndrome, which kept him out the entire 2020-21 season.

Toews has 28 points (14 goals, 14 assists) in 46 games this season. The No. 3 selection by the Blackhawks in the 2006 NHL Draft, he has 880 points (371 goals, 509 assists) in 1,060 regular-season games to rank eighth in Chicago history. He was named Blackhawks captain on July 18, 2008, when he was 20 years old and in 2017 was named one of the 100 Greatest NHL Players.

He is in the final season of an eight-year contract he signed with the Blackhawks on July 9, 2014.

"I think either that decision will be clear for me this summer, or it'll be a situation where I'm really feeling good and really excited and just really ready to train and prepare to get myself to a place where I can play high level hockey again and just enjoy the game," Toews said. "I want to be able to be in that place where I'm really having fun and playing at a high level and contributing to my team the way I know I can.

"All those things are part of what makes the game really enjoyable for me. It's kind of my own conditions for myself and then we'll see. I'm not putting any pressure on myself one way or another. Again, I'm thankful of how supportive the team has been and my teammates as well. It's one of those things that not a lot of people can understand unless you've been through it yourself, so I appreciate everyone's patience with that. Yeah, I'm just trying to do my best one day at a time going forward."

Toews helped the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 2010, 2013 and 2015. He won the Conn Smythe Trophy as most valuable player of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 2010 and the Selke Trophy as the League's best defensive forward in 2012-13.

Coach Luke Richardson said Toews' return should be a boost for the city, fans and the Blackhawks (24-45-6), who have been going through a rebuild, have lost seven in a row and are last in the Western Conference. Chicago has been eliminated from playoff contention for the third straight season and fifth time in six seasons.

"He's like, 'Well, it's not going to be perfect, it might be ugly.' I said, 'We're a little bit ugly right now, so you'll fit right now,' Richardson said. "He'll help us in the face-off circle and just having the captain around will be a good lift for the team and I hope for him, too. He feels a lot better, not perfect but better. So, we'll go from there."

• 2 weeks later...

cut.jpg

Toews treating final 2 games as his last with Blackhawks: report

Captain, 34, won 3 Stanley Cups with Chicago, is unrestricted free agent after season

https://www.nhl.com/news/toews-could-be-playing-final-games-with-blackhawks/c-343329316

Jonathan Toews said he could be playing his final two games with the Chicago Blackhawks this week.

"For myself, I'm taking it as if these are my last games in Chicago," the Blackhawks captain told the Chicago Sun-Times on Saturday.

Toews, who has played all 1,064 NHL games with the Blackhawks, and won the Stanley Cup three times, is an unrestricted free agent after this season.

The 34-year-old center announced on Feb. 21 that he was stepping away from the Blackhawks to deal with the effects of long COVID-19 and Chronic Immune Response Syndrome, which kept him out the entire 2020-21 season.

Toews returned to practice with the Blackhawks on March 28 for the first time in two months. He returned to the lineup in Chicago's 6-3 loss to the New Jersey Devils on April 1, his first game since Jan. 28.

"I really worked hard and put a lot in to try to get back into the lineup before the end of the season so I could have the opportunity to do this and really soak it in for myself," Toews said. "I owe so much to the fans and the people in the city that made it so special to be a Blackhawk for all these years. I owe a lot to the organization; they've given me everything."

The Blackhawks play the Minnesota Wild at United Center on Monday (9 p.m. ET; ESPN) and finish their regular season at home against the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday. They have been eliminated from Stanley Cup Playoffs contention.

"Sitting where I am right now, it's hard to predict what the emotions will be like," Toews said. "But there's no doubt that it's starting to sink in, for sure."

Toews has 30 points (14 goals, 16 assists) in 50 games this season. The No. 3 selection by the Blackhawks in the 2006 NHL Draft, he has 882 points (371 goals, 511 assists) in 1,064 career games.

He is in the final season of an eight-year contract he signed with the Blackhawks on July 9, 2014.

Toews helped the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 2010, 2013 and 2015. He won the Conn Smythe Trophy as most valuable player of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 2010 and the Selke Trophy as the League's best defensive forward in 2012-13.

The Blackhawks have been eliminated from playoff contention in five of the past six seasons. They are in the midst of a rebuild during which they've aggressively remade their roster.

The biggest move came when they traded forward Patrick Kane to the New York Rangers in a three-team trade that also included the Arizona Coyotes on Feb. 28. Toews and Kane had been teammates since each entered the NHL with the Blackhawks in 2007-08 and they played their 1,000th NHL game together in a 7-1 loss to the Rangers on Dec. 18.

Though he said he's treating these last games with the Blackhawks as possibly the end of his time in Chicago, Toews said last month he's not ready to say this is the end of his NHL career.

"I'm not near making that decision yet, and I don't feel like with what I've been through this year and this past season that I have enough clarity on what that decision will be," he said March 31.

"I think either that decision will be clear for me this summer, or it'll be a situation where I'm really feeling good and really excited and just really ready to train and prepare to get myself to a place where I can play high level hockey again and just enjoy the game. I want to be able to be in that place where I'm really having fun and playing at a high level and contributing to my team the way I know I can."

cut.jpg

Toews unclear on future, wants to enjoy Blackhawks' final 3 games

Captain, pending unrestricted free agent, said he's not 'thinking that far ahead'

https://www.nhl.com/news/chicago-blackhawks-jonathan-toews-unclear-on-future/c-343350878

CHICAGO -- Jonathan Toews had a succinct way of looking at what could be his final two home games with the Chicago Blackhawks. 

"Just play your hardest and enjoy it," the captain said prior to the Blackhawks playing the Minnesota Wild at United Center on Monday (9 p.m. ET; ESPN, SN NOW).

The 34-year-old forward, who is in the final season of the eight-year contract he signed with the Blackhawks on July 8, 2014, said he's still not sure what happens regarding his hockey career past this season.

"I feel like I've answered that one quite a few times here and like I said, I don't really have an answer right now," he said. "I'm just trying to enjoy the last few days of the season here with this group and not thinking that far ahead."

Selected No. 3 by the Blackhawks in the 2006 NHL Draft, Toews has 882 points (371 goals, 511 assists) in 1,064 regular-season games with them. He also has 119 points (45 goals, 74 assists) in 137 Stanley Cup Playoff games with the Blackhawks, with whom he won the Stanley Cup in 2010, 2013 and 2015. In 2017 he was named one of the 100 Greatest NHL Players of all time.

He has 30 points (14 goals, 16 assists) in 50 games this season.

He announced Feb. 21 that he was stepping away from the Blackhawks to deal with the effects of long COVID-19 and Chronic Immune Response Syndrome, which kept him out the entire 2020-21 season.

Toews practiced with the Blackhawks on March 28 for the first time in two months. He returned to the lineup for a 6-3 loss to the New Jersey Devils on April 1, his first game since Jan. 28. 

The Blackhawks have missed the playoffs in five of the past six seasons. They are in the midst of a rebuild during which they've aggressively remade their roster.

The biggest move came when they traded forward Patrick Kane to the New York Rangers in a three-team trade that also included the Arizona Coyotes on Feb. 28. Toews and Kane had been teammates since each entered the NHL with the Blackhawks in 2007-08 and they played their 1,000th NHL game together in a 7-1 loss to the Rangers on Dec. 18.

The Blackhawks have two regular-season games remaining after Monday: against the Pittsburgh Penguins at PPG Paints Arena on Tuesday and their home finale against the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday.

On Saturday, Toews told the Chicago Sun-Times that he was looking at the final two home games "as if these are my last games in Chicago."

But with his contract expiring and the Blackhawks rebuilding, he has decisions to make. He said the reality of this season being over, and the uncertainty of the summer, hasn't hit him yet.

"I feel like it's one of those things that doesn't fully sink in until after it's over and you reminisce to the big moments when you win the Stanley Cup and you know everything happened around you is going to be a memory before you know it, so you're trying to soak it in. So in a sense it's like that, but obviously it's different," Toews said.

"But just trying to be present and enjoy everything even though it's been tough. I mean, you look at these last few months, even when I wasn't in the lineup the guys were on the road so much. This last road trip wasn't an easy one. Now we've got a tough week ahead of us with three games in four nights and so through all that, you've got to do what you got to do, but just trying to enjoy it for what it is."

Edited by NHL HHOF

cut.jpg

Toews to play final game with Blackhawks, will not be re-signed

34-year-old three-time Stanley Cup winner undecided on future of playing career

https://www.nhl.com/news/jonathan-toews-to-play-final-game-with-chicago-blackhawks/c-343471322

CHICAGO -- Jonathan Toews will play his final game as a member of the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday after the longtime captain and team came to a mutual understanding that he will not be re-signed after his eight-year, $84 million contract expires at the end of this season. 

The forward, who turns 35 on April 29, has yet to decide the future of his playing career. But after 1,066 NHL games, 371 goals, 511 assists and three Stanley Cup championships in a Blackhawks sweater, he will wear it one final time against the Philadelphia Flyers at United Center (8:30 p.m. ET; NBCSCH, NBCSP, ESPN+, SN NOW).

"I can only speak from my side, but it's incredibly difficult," Blackhawks general manager Kyle Davidson said Thursday. "I feel like every time we've (made) a transaction the last little while it's me talking about how hard it is. But it's true. It's incredibly hard.

"Jonathan and I are the same age, and I watched his progression (back to) World Juniors. Being from Canada and watching him burst onto the scenes at the World Juniors for Canada and then the 2010 (Vancouver) Olympics for Canada. After that, I started with the Blackhawks and got to see first-hand the type of contributions, the type of player he was. To kind of take that step and have that conversation was not easy because of all he's done and the status that he holds. Not easy at all, but we look forward to watching what he does next and where he might go next and what he does. Tough decision, but something we felt was the right step to take in our rebuild."

Toews will not speak again until after the game Thursday. 

The No. 3 pick in the 2006 NHL Draft, Toews was named Blackhawks captain July 18, 2008, and won the Cup in 2010, 2013 and 2015. He has 30 points (14 goals, 16 assists) in 52 games this season, and announced Feb. 21 that he was stepping away from the Blackhawks to deal with the effects of long COVID-19 and Chronic Immune Response Syndrome, which kept him out the entire 2020-21 season.

"I feel like I've answered that one quite a few times here and like I said, I don't really have an answer right now," Toews said April 10. "I'm just trying to enjoy the last few days of the season here with this group and not thinking that far ahead. Just play your hardest and enjoy it."

Davidson said Toews' health and contract end did not factor into the decision not to re-sign him.

"This was strictly a decision for what we thought was best for the young players that would come in to step into that role," Davidson said, "and just allow the organic growth of leadership skills and providing this new wave the same opportunity that this past era was granted when they entered the NHL. 

"Just a clean slate, an opportunity to step up and step in and work through the leadership development on their own terms rather than deferring and just leaving that to someone else. It forces some people to step up and experience things that they wouldn't experience if Jonathan were in the room."

The Blackhawks (26-49-6) are tied with the Anaheim Ducks for 30th in the NHL and will miss the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the third consecutive season and fifth in the past six. 

The Toews news comes weeks after the Blackhawks traded another core piece of their three most recent championships, Patrick Kane, to the New York Rangers on Feb. 28. 

Kane, the No. 1 pick by Chicago in the 2007 NHL Draft, played 1,161 regular-season games for the Blackhawks. His 1,000th NHL game was with Toews, a 7-1 loss to the Rangers on Dec. 18.

Speaking at the Rangers' morning skate Thursday, Kane said Toews "was like a brother."

"It was amazing to come up with him at the same time," Kane said. "Obviously, he was a lot more mature than I was coming into the League and ahead of his years, too. So great to come in with him and a lot of great memories just on the ice, off the ice as roommates, everything. I was very fortunate to come in with him at the same time and spend all those years together."

Toews and Kane played for Chicago's three Stanley Cup championship teams. They each signed their respective eight-year contracts July 8, 2014. 

"I mean, for me, when it was my last game, I didn't know the situation, so I didn't know it was going to be my last game or my last game at home, anything like that," Kane said. "He's obviously in a situation now where he knows this will be his last game as a Hawk and he's had an amazing career. I really hope he enjoys tonight because he deserves it and puts on a show for the fans. He gave a lot of people a lot of great memories."

Toews has 119 points (45 goals, 74 assists) in 137 playoff games. In 2017, he was named one of the 100 Greatest NHL Players of all-time.

"It's definitely on my mind that this could be my last few weeks here in Chicago as a Blackhawk," Toews said March 28. "It's definitely very important for me to just go out there and just enjoy the game and just kind of soak it in and just really appreciate everything that I've been able to be a part of here in Chicago and show my appreciation to the fans as well."

cut.jpg

Toews to play final game for Blackhawks, remembered as 'a legend'

Longtime captain, 3-time Cup winner, won't return to Chicago next season

https://www.nhl.com/news/chicago-blakchawks-captain-jonathan-toews-to-be-remembered-as-a-legend/c-343476916

CHICAGO -- Jonathan Toews pondered the question when it was asked of him in December: in Chicago Blackhawks history, where did he think his legacy would rank?

"That's not really for me to decide," Toews said. "I'm thankful for all the success we've had. Any success that I've had as an individual has been in large part to guys like [Patrick Kane] and [Patrick Sharp] and [Duncan Keith] and [Brent Seabrook] and [Niklas Hjalmarsson] -- go down the list. It's interesting that you're even asking me that question. I think that's enough of a compliment for me."

Whatever his legacy will be, his time in a Blackhawks sweater will come to an end when Chicago plays the Philadelphia Flyers at United Center on Thursday (8:30 p.m. ET; NBCSCH, NBCSP, ESPN+, SN NOW).

General manager Kyle Davidson said Thursday that Toews, who will be an unrestricted free agent after the season, and the rebuilding Blackhawks had agreed to part ways, setting the stage for what will be an emotional and historic night for Toews, the team and its fans.

Named Blackhawks captain July 18, 2008, Toews won the Conn Smythe Trophy as most valuable player of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 2010, and the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award in 2015. The No. 3 pick in the 2006 NHL Draft, Toews is fifth all-time for the Blackhawks in games played (1,066), sixth in goals (371), eighth in assists (511) and sixth in points (882).

"He's a legend, man," Kane said Thursday. "I mean, he turned that franchise around.

"It's pretty impressive obviously what he's done with his career, but just for that city in general, he's great with the fans, great with the people. He's the guy who led our team. He's a legend."

Kane and Toews had played together with the Blackhawks since each entered the NHL in 2007-08 until Kane was traded to the New York Rangers on Feb. 28. They played their 1,000th game together in a 7-1 loss to the Rangers on Dec. 18.

"He was like a brother," Kane said. "It was amazing to come up with him at the same time. Obviously he was a lot more mature than I was coming into the League, and ahead of his years too. So great to come in with him and a lot of great memories just on the ice, off the ice as roommates, everything. I was very fortunate to come in with him at the same time and spend all those years together."

For Kane, several moments stuck out as Toews' defining moments, including his performance during the 2020 postseason playing in the Edmonton bubble because of the coronavirus pandemic. Toews had nine points (five goals, four assists) in nine games, helping Chicago defeat the Edmonton Oilers in the Stanley Cup Qualifier before losing to the Vegas Golden Knights in five games.

"I look back at all the adversity we went through as a team," he said. "Even now that I think about it, he was going through all the health stuff in the bubble and he was probably our best player in the bubble. He was just grinding through and helping lead our team past Edmonton in that play-in round, just really impressive stuff like that.

"Obviously I look back to the three Stanley Cups, him giving [Marian] Hossa the Cup after we won in 2010. He was our best player on the ice in Game 6 when we won in 2013. In 2015, winning at home was special. He was the leader of all those teams. He was the guy."

As captain, Toews led with his play but also could be vocal when necessary. He's had his effect on other Blackhawks players, especially those in leadership roles like alternate captain Connor Murphy.

"I think [I take from him] his perseverance and kind of awareness and his eagerness to get a feel and get guys voices going and kind of really get everyone's sense of what they want and what they feel a team needs," the defenseman said. "He's not someone who's going to lead off of something he's just seen. He's going to talk to guys and try to make guys be vocal and bring guys out of their shell.

"He recognizes the Hawks over the years have had this persona of a few guys being the image of the team and a lot of us coming in, at times, felt like fillers. He's aware of that right away and has always wanted to make sure everyone steps out of their comfort zone and realizes the impact and leadership they have to offer. That's what I've taken from him, being such a great leader."

Toews had been out since prior to the NHL All-Star break and announced Feb. 19 that he was stepping away from the Blackhawks to deal with symptoms of long COVID and Chronic Immune Response System (CIRS). Toews also missed the 2020-21 season with CIRS.

He practiced for the first time in two months March 28, and returned to the lineup for a 6-3 loss to the New Jersey Devils on April 1, his first game since Jan. 28. When Toews came onto the ice for warmups against New Jersey, he was greeted by a massive cheer from the home crowd. 

"I'm just trying to focus and concentrate on the game, but there's no doubt you hear that when you step on the ice," Toews said after the game. "It felt good to get that coming back tonight. Unfortunately we couldn't find a way to win. Either way, it feels good to receive that from the fans and keep playing hard for them."

For opponents, facing Toews usually wasn't easy. Boston Bruins forward Charlie Coyle went against Toews often while playing for the Minnesota Wild from 2012-19, including Stanley Cup Playoff series in 2013, 2014 and 2015.

"Everyone knows what kind of player he is, but on face-offs, when I'm playing center against him, he's a tough guy to go against," Coyle said of Toews, whose 56.9 career face-off winning percentage entering play Thursday places him 10th among all-time NHL players (minimum 5,000 face-offs), second among active players behind Bruins center Patrice Bergeron (57.2 percent).

"And he's just smart. The way he moves, too, he's slippery. You never know what he'll do. He can score, he can pass. He can kind of do it all. He's always a guy, when you face him so much, I was getting tired of facing him. Seems like we played them every year in the playoffs in Minnesota. And to have a guy like that up the middle of his caliber, the way he plays, he's such a threat, makes those around him that much better too."

Goalie Marc-Andre Fleury, who played with Toews last season in Chicago before he was traded to the Wild, said Toews always will be synonymous with the Blackhawks.

"Being [with the Pittsburgh Penguins] a long time, we didn't see each other too much," Fleury said. "But watching the Cup runs, you'd see his face everywhere, right? He was always a huge part of it, and 'Kaner' as well.

"I was happy to come here and get a chance to play with him, get to know him as a person. Everybody knows 'Captain Serious,' right? But to me, he was great. Always wanted to do what was good for the team, would go out of his way to make sure everybody's good, the new guys coming in, the new guys, staff, he takes care of everybody, makes sure they're good. Obviously he's a competitor, right? It was fun in practice trying to stop him, chirp him a bit. He would give it back, so it was good. I appreciated that."

Toews' tenure with the Blackhawks will end Thursday. Will he play with another team next season? Will he retire? Toews has said he'll take time this offseason to think about his future. His legacy in Chicago, however, isn't in question.

"Words fail to adequately summarize everything that Jonathan's done for the organization, the amazing memories that he's provided," Davidson said. "He'll be a Blackhawk forever. He's going to forever be known as Chicago's captain. He's the longest tenured captain in Chicago sports history.

"He's one of the greatest players in team history of his generation and some of his milestones and his accomplishments will be extremely difficult to match. Over 1,000 games, almost 900 points, three Stanley Cups, Conn Smythe, Olympic gold medal. He's done it all and he's done it all in a Blackhawks jersey. We can't thank him enough for everything he's done. Wherever he goes and wherever he plays next, he'll be a Blackhawk forever."

Edited by NHL HHOF

cut.jpg

Toews receives fond farewell in final game with Blackhawks

Longtime captain soaks in atmosphere, takes 1 last lap after OT loss to Flyers

https://www.nhl.com/news/jonathan-toews-final-game-with-chicago-blackhawks/c-343532618

CHICAGO -- Jonathan Toews did a lap around the ice, waving to a United Center crowd standing in appreciation for the captain in his final game with the Chicago Blackhawks on Thursday.

"I told the guys in the room after the game that it just goes to show -- obviously it's more than a game out there when you're able to be part of some special years where you win Stanley Cups and provide a lot of special feelings for the fans, but obviously it's a two-way street," Toews said after a 5-4 overtime loss to the Philadelphia Flyers. "We gave our heart and soul and poured everything we had into this team, this organization, this game for a lot of years and to reap the rewards like that, you can't draw it up any better.

"I just hope that those guys I've shared a locker room with for a lot of years felt that, as well, and were able to share that with me tonight."

You could hear a quiver in Toews' voice, only hours after general manager Kyle Davidson announced the Blackhawks would not re-sign the forward, who is in the final season of an eight-year contract he signed July 9, 2014. He turns 35 on April 29.

"When Kyle called me into the room when we were on the road [in Seattle] last week and came out with it right away, it caught me by surprise, because I didn't know what he wanted to talk about," Toews said. "But once I took a deep breath and let it sink in, I realized it's just what it is.

"There [are] absolutely no hard feelings. I have nothing but love and gratitude for the Blackhawks and Rocky Wirtz and the Blackhawks family, everyone over the years who's been a part of that. Like I said, you can't ask for more than that. At the end of the day, it's a business. It's a business where you want to win games and you want to go out there and entertain the fans and chase Stanley Cups, and I think it's exciting for me too, at the same time, not knowing what's really around the corner for me personally. But at the same time, it's a new start for the Blackhawks."

It's the end of an era in Chicago. Toews was the final player remaining from the Blackhawks core that helped win the Stanley Cup in 2010, 2013 and 2015. Forward Patrick Kane, Toews' teammate since each debuted in the NHL in 2007-08, was traded to the New York Rangers on Feb. 28.

Toews soaked in the atmosphere from pregame to post. The last player on the ice following warmups, Toews tossed a puck into the stands and did a quick pirouette on the ice before departing. He wore a microphone for the NBC Sports Chicago broadcast throughout the game and got a monstrous cheer after scoring a goal in the second period.

After the game ended, a montage honoring Toews played on the video board. Players from each team remained on the ice to watch.

Then Toews took one last lap.

"The guys were telling me I should do one more lap. I was like, 'That was one too many already right there,'" he said with a laugh. "It was pretty cool. It was overwhelming. I didn't expect that. Really didn't know what to expect tonight, but just tried to focus on the game just as I always do and go out there and create some offense and try and win the game for us.

"Unfortunately, [we] fell a little bit short. Still a pretty special moment for all of us."

Chicago coach Luke Richardson listened in on Toews' final postgame speech, which he hopes resonates with players.

"I think his words were, 'The juice is worth the squeeze,'" Richardson said. "So, I think the guys will hopefully take that and run with it in the future and remember how big a part of it he was here, and they had an opportunity, and I had an opportunity to work with [him] this year and try to use that experience to push us forward."

The No. 3 pick by the Blackhawks in the 2006 NHL Draft, Toews has 883 points (372 goals, 512 assists) in 1,067 career regular-season games with them. He was named captain July 18, 2008, and had 119 points (45 goals, 74 assists) in 137 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Toews had 31 points (15 goals, 16 assists) in 53 games this season. He announced Feb. 21 he was stepping away from the Blackhawks to deal with the effects of long COVID-19 and Chronic Immune Response Syndrome, which kept him out the entire 2020-21 season.

Toews said "there's no timeline" as far as whether he'll retire or play elsewhere next season. With everything so fresh, he was focused on his final moments with the Blackhawks.

"There's no doubt a moment like that, it's hard to top," he said. "Yeah, I think it's something I'll just let myself sink into with my family. The thought of playing for another team right now is so far in the back of my mind right now, especially after that moment.

"I always thought I'd retire a Blackhawk and part of me still believes in that, so we'll see."

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks

Toews is a three-time Stanley Cup champion (2010, 2013, 2015) who has played all 15 of his NHL seasons with Chicago and been its captain since 2008-09. The 35-year-old is undecided about his future after the Blackhawks said April 13 they would not re-sign him, but he'd provide instant leadership to any organization. Toews may not be the dominating offensive force he once was, but he did have 31 points (15 goals, 16 assists) in 53 games last season despite missing two months to deal with the effects of long COVID-19.

https://www.nhl.com/news/best-of-remaining-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents/c-345180466?tid=281072352

• 2 weeks later...

Jonathan Toews, Chicago Blackhawks

Toews is a three-time Stanley Cup champion (2010, 2013, 2015) who has played all 15 of his NHL seasons with Chicago and been its captain since 2008-09. The 35-year-old is undecided about his future after the Blackhawks said April 13 they would not re-sign him, but he'd provide instant leadership to any organization. Toews may not be the dominating offensive force he once was, but he did have 31 points (15 goals, 16 assists) in 53 games last season despite missing two months to deal with the effects of long COVID-19.

https://www.nhl.com/news/best-of-remaining-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents/c-345180466?tid=281072352

• 5 weeks later...

cut.jpg

Toews not retiring, will be 'taking time away from the game' this season

Center who played 16 years with Blackhawks, thanks city, fans before addressing NHL future

by Tracey Myers @Tramyers_NHL / NHL.com Staff Writer

https://www.nhl.com/news/jonathan-toews-thanks-chicago-blackhawks-in-social-media-post/c-345614870

Jonathan Toews said he is not retiring from the NHL but will be "taking time away from the game again this season."

The 35-year-old center, who played the past 16 years with the Chicago Blackhawks, posted about his NHL future on Instagram on Thursday.

"I'd like to announce that I am not fully retiring, but I am taking time away from the game again this season," the post said. "I cannot deny my love for the game of hockey and still feel the passion for competing at my highest level."

Toews had 31 points (15 goals, 16 assists) in 53 games last season. He announced Feb. 21 he was stepping away from the Blackhawks to deal with the effects of long COVID-19 and Chronic Immune Response Syndrome, which kept him out the entire 2020-21 season. He returned in a 6-3 loss to the New Jersey Devils on April 1.

"However, these last few seasons have been very difficult considering my health challenges," the statement said. "My focus is to give myself the time and space to fully heal and enjoy life to the fullest once again. Along the way I have met several people who have struggled with health issues pertaining to long COVID, chronic immune response syndrome and other similar cases that are quite complex. I now recognize the importance of one day sharing the details of my health journey with you all."

The post came shortly after Toews had posted a message thanking the Blackhawks and the city of Chicago.

Blackhawks general manager Kyle Davidson said April 13 that the team would not re-sign Toews, who became an unrestricted free agent after the season. That night, he played his final game with Chicago, a 5-4 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers at United Center. Toews, who had been Blackhawks captain since July 18, 2008, signed an eight-year contract with them July 9, 2014.

"It's hard to find words to describe the 16-year journey that has made this city my home," the first post said. "Aside from the 3 Stanley Cups, the parades, and the countless memories made with my teammates, what is still most special to me was feeling a true connection to the people of this city.

"To Blackhawks fans, it was surreal to witness and be a part of the revival of hockey in Chicago. There was nothing like the roar of the Madhouse when we scored a big goal to tie it or win it late in a game. As players, we tried to reciprocate that heart and soul energy we felt from you. I honestly believe it's what made us so tough to beat in the later games of a playoff series. You are the best fans in the world, and I'm so thankful we shared so many special moments together."

Toews had 883 points (372 goals, 511 assists) in 1,067 games with the Blackhawks. He won the Selke Trophy as the League's top defensive forward in 2012-13 and the Conn Smythe Trophy as the most valuable player of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 2010, helping Chicago win the Cup in 2010, 2013 and 2015.

"To the Blackhawks organization, the late Rocky, Danny and the Wirtz family, all of my coaches, GM's, athletic and equipment trainers, strength coaches, scouting staff and all those that put it all together," the statement said. "It is not lost on me that all the work you do behind the scenes leads to all of our success on the ice. You showed up every day to help all of us achieve our dreams and for that I am forever grateful.

"To my Blackhawks teammates, I consider you all lifelong friends and brothers. We share a bond that's hard to break. Whether you reach the mountain top or not, we can all agree it's grinding through the tough moments together that we'll really miss.

"To all of you I say, THANK YOU. You made my time here in Chicago unforgettable."

His agent Pat Brisson told NHL.com in July that Toews was "taking his time" regarding his future in the NHL.

"He hasn't made a decision yet, whether he wants to play or not. He's going through that period of time," Brisson said July 13. "If and when Jonathan Toews decides to play, I mean, he won't waste anyone's time."

The No. 3 pick in the 2006 NHL Draft, Toews ranks fifth in games played, sixth in goals and points, and eighth in assists in Blackhawks history. His 119 playoff points (45 goals, 74 assists) rank fifth.

Edited by NHL HHOF

Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane May Eye Oilers for NHL Reunion

August 18, 2023 by Jim Parsons

https://thehockeywriters.com/jonathan-toews-patrick-kane-possible-reunion-edmonton-oilers/

After saying goodbye to Chicago Blackhawks fans, but then posting a note on his Instagram page that he is not retiring, Jonathan Toews became a player to watch this season. Will he sit out the entire year? Will he get his health back to a point he feels comfortable and then sign with a contender? No one knows that quite yet, perhaps not even Toews.

Meanwhile, Patrick Kane has said through his reps that he’s in no rush to sign with an NHL club this summer. He’s focused on rehabbing from off-season surgery and when he’s ready, he’ll make his decision. No doubt, a few teams will be looking at Kane, especially once they know where their clubs are headed part way into the 2023-24 campaign.

For the Edmonton Oilers, both are players worth keeping an eye on, and it will be intriguing to see if the Oilers become frontrunners for a reunion.

Toews Isn’t Done Playing in the NHL

Right now, it appears Toews is hinting that he’ll sit out the entire 2023-24 season. That said, things have a way of changing when a player misses the action. In his anti-retirement statement, Toews admitted he’ll likely find his passion for the NHL too strong a force to keep him away, likely pulling him back to the game. And, if he’s feeling better and thinks he can contribute this season, even in a lesser role, expect the speculation to begin.

Should he return in 2023/24, Toews will not be an expensive addition to any team. With so many questions surrounding his health, if he signs more than a league-minimum deal, that may come as a surprise to many. The key thing he’ll be looking for is a comfortable fit, in a comfortable role, and with a contender. The Oilers would make a lot of sense and check a lot of boxes for the veteran.

Kane Will Be Looking to Boost His Value

While Kane probably isn’t going to sign a league-minimum deal, he shouldn’t be terribly costly. Much of his value will be determined by what’s available to him when he’s ready to return. The New York Rangers might show interest, then again, they might not. Other teams could use his dynamic skill, but where will these teams be, both in terms of their salary cap and in the standings?

Kane is going to weigh all of that and if the Oilers have the space, they’ll be tire-kickers.

The Oilers don’t have room to fit Kane in now, but that could change over the course of the season. So too, if Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl are options as centermen, Kane has the potential to be one of their wingers and pot some quick points, elevating his game and proving he’s worth investing in next summer when he’s fully healthy and looking for another contract.

For Kane, this season won’t just be about the chance to win a Stanley Cup — although that will be a heavy consideration — but about the opportunities to set himself up with options as a pending UFA in 2024-25.

Why Would the Oilers Look at Both Players?

Beyond the fact that these two players could come in at a pro-rated cost of around $2 – $3 million (total) for the Oilers — which is huge on the plus side when looking at this — both former Blackhawks would undoubtedly be motivated to take one more kick at the can together. This might be their best shot at winning another Stanley Cup and with Duncan Keith a part of the Oilers’ executive team, a reunion might be high on their priority list. The Oilers want experienced and motivated veterans who know how to win. Would there be a better tandem at that price?

When it comes to Toews, the Oilers’ center depth of Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, and Ryan McLeod means there isn’t huge pressure on him to be a highly-offensive solution. And, bringing him in allows the Oilers a chance to shuffle things around. That flexibility during the playoffs, with the intangibles he provides could be invaluable.

When it comes to Kane, his skill is undeniable. Even at less than 100 percent, as a top-six winger who can elevate the Oilers’ second power play unit, he becomes an attractive option, especially if he’s not looking to hit a home run financially.

Perhaps this is a long shot and circumstances may change how realistic an option all of this is. But, if both players want to return, both are open to being flexible on the money side of things, and both want to play for a contender, all the Oilers need is a little wiggle room to get this done. They don’t have it today, but things can change quickly in a matter of months.

notWebP

notWebP

Edited by NHL HHOF

The Oilers still need to sign Evan Bouchard to a 2-year deal somewhere in the $3.5M - $3.9M range, and they'll pretty much be at the cap. As it is, they won't run a full roster this season again, so anybody who signs there would be on a league-minimum deal. Even if he's available on a relative bargain contract, it won't be that low. I would love the veteran presence of Jonathan Toews, but the question is his health. The last few times I watched him last season, he was a shadow of his former self, and he admitted that he was completely winded just from the pre-game skate.

• Like 1