Anderson, Kings ink 8 yr extension

Brewin Flames

Defenseman Mikey Anderson signs 8-year extension with Kings

Feb 15, 2023
  • clark_ryan.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Ryan S. ClarkNHL reporter

Defenseman Mikey Anderson on Wednesday became the latest player to sign a long-term deal with the Los Angeles Kings, getting an eight-year, $33 million extension with the team through the 2030-31 season, it was announced.

The contract for the 23-year-old Anderson carries a $4.125 million annual average value. He was set to become a restricted free agent at the end of the season, having been on a one-year bridge deal worth $1 million following the expiration of his entry-level contract.

The deal also comes with Anderson having what has been the strongest campaign of his career with two goals, 13 points and averaging 21:49 in ice time over 55 games.

Signing Anderson also means the Kings have six players who will have at least three years remaining on their current deals. Forward Trevor Moore signed a five-year extension worth $4.2 million AAV in December, while forward Kevin Fiala agreed in June to a seven-year pact carrying a $7.875 million AAV after he arrived in an offseason trade with the Minnesota Wild.

The Kings used a 2017 fourth-round pick to select Anderson, who then emerged into one of their most promising prospects while having starred for two seasons at the University of Minnesota Duluth while also representing the United States at consecutive IIHF World Junior Championships. He spent the majority of his first professional season playing for the Kings' AHL affiliate before he became a full-time NHL player during the 20/21 season.

From there, Anderson established himself as a top-four defenseman who went on to partner with 2016 Norris Trophy winner Drew Doughty on the Kings' top defensive pairing. This season has seen Anderson and Doughty be among the number of significant contributors who have helped the Kings in what has become a competitive Pacific Division race.

Entering Wednesday, the Kings are one point out of first in the division while being in the cadre of four Pacific teams that are within three points of each other in the standings.

Look, i love Anderson, I really do,  solid shut down defender, capable player BUT

He has no offense at all. None. As a player he reminds me of Jonathan Ericsson, top shelf offensively during the next eight years is probably going to wind up around 25-28 points. 4 million plus for a player like that says he really, REALLY better perform defensively. Problem is his Corsi and Fenwick are not truly awful but borderline bad. He does take almost all of his zone time in the defensive zone and players such as that generally can have their corsi skewed a bit, but truth is his numbers are not what one would expect of someone who just signed an eight year deal.

I like the directionthe Kings are going but this one makes very little sense to me. The comment about being paired with '2016 Norris winner Drew Doughty' is to put it mildly misleading, Anderson was not in the NHL in 2016.  Anderson LOOKS like a hockey player, young kid with an Irish street kid look but i feel he is a bit overrated and the pay is too much for too long.