TRADE: Rangers acquire Kane from Chicago

NHL HHOF

PATRICK KANE TRADE TO THE RANGERS SEEMS INEVITABLE

Trade rumors and speculation suggest Patrick Kane to the New York Rangers looks likely. What do the Rangers have to do to acquire him?

LYLE RICHARDSON

3 HOURS AGO

https://thehockeynews.com/news/patrick-kane-trade-to-the-rangers-seems-inevitable

usatsi_20064870.jpg

Speculation over the possibility of Chicago Blackhawks winger Patrick Kane heading to the New York Rangers dominated the rumor mill over the weekend. There's an expectation the 34-year-old winger will be on the move before Friday's 3 p.m. ET trade deadline.

Kane is not with the Blackhawks on their current road trip. He reportedly returned to Chicago to await what appears to be his inevitable move to the Rangers.

The New York Post's Larry Brooks reported Saturday that Rangers GM Chris Drury still had to find a third team to broker a trade by retaining a quarter of Kane's $10.5-million cap hit ($2.625 million) with the Blackhawks retaining 50 percent ($5.25 million).

So far, there's no indication of which club might get involved. That third party will also seek a draft pick from the Rangers or Blackhawks as compensation for their efforts. 

The Rangers spent the weekend attempting to clear sufficient cap space for their share of Kane's cap hit. They traded winger Vitali Kravtsov ($875,000) on Saturday to the Vancouver Canucks. CapFriendly indicates they sent Jake Leschyshyn ($767,000) to the minors after he cleared waivers on Sunday.

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman speculated the earliest the Rangers could acquire Kane is Tuesday once they've accrued sufficient trade deadline cap space. He suggested it could happen sooner if sidelined defenseman Ryan Lindgren should end up on long-term injury reserve. However, Brooks' colleague Mollie Walkerreported Lindgren's injury isn't considered serious, and he's listed as day-to-day.

TSN's Chris Johnston believes it could take until Friday's 3 p.m. trade deadline due to salary-cap implications. In other words, it could take that long for the Rangers to have sufficient deadline cap space to take on their share of Kane's remaining cap hit.

Edited by NHL HHOF

Kane goes to Rangers in 3-team trade with Blackhawks, Coyotes

3-time Cup winner in Chicago to make New York debut Thursday against Senators

https://www.nhl.com/news/patrick-kane-traded-to-new-york-rangers-from-chicago-blackhawks/c-341625462?tid=278542340

cut.jpg

Patrick Kane was traded to the New York Rangers by the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday.

Chicago received a conditional second-round pick in the 2023 NHL Draft, a fourth-round selection in the 2025 NHL Draft and defenseman Andy Welinski for the 34-year-old forward, who is in the final season of the eight-year contract he signed with the Blackhawks on July 9, 2014. The contract contains a no-move clause, so Kane had to approve any trade prior to the 2023 NHL Trade Deadline at 3 p.m. ET on Friday.

Kane is projected to make his Rangers debut against the Ottawa Senators at Madison Square Garden on Thursday (7 p.m. ET; MSG, TSN5, RDS, ESPN+, SN NOW).

"I'm so thankful for everything the city, the Blackhawks organization, my teammates and the fans have done for me and my family over the last 16 years -- the support was constant from day one and Chicago will forever be home for us," Kane said in a statement released by the Blackhawks. "This has been an emotional time for me and my family, but I feel this decision puts me in the best spot to immediately win another Stanley Cup.

"This isn't about me leaving the Blackhawks, but this is an opportunity for me -- the Blackhawks did everything they could to put me in a great position and I will forever be grateful. It is bittersweet to leave a place that is so special to me, but I will always carry the memories we made in Chicago. I will miss the roar of the United Center, the deafening sound of the anthem and the people of Chicago. Together, we made memories that will last a lifetime like the three Stanley Cup Champions banners that will forever hang at the United Center. I look forward to this next step in my career and will forever be appreciative for all I have received from the Blackhawks and Chicago."

New York also acquired defenseman prospect Cooper Zech from Chicago, and the Arizona Coyotes received a third-round pick in 2025. The Coyotes, who will take on 25 percent of the remaining salary on Kane's contract, also sent defenseman Vili Saarijarvi to the Blackhawks. 

Selected by the Blackhawks with the No. 1 pick in the 2007 NHL Draft, Kane has 1,225 points (446 goals, 779 assists) in 1,161 regular-season games. He is second in Blackhawks history in points and assists behind Stan Mikita (1,467 points, 926 assists), third in goals behind Bobby Hull (604) and Mikita (541), and third in games played, trailing Mikita (1,396) and Duncan Keith (1,192).

Kane is a three-time Stanley Cup champion with the Blackhawks (2010, 2013, 2015). He also won the Calder Trophy voted as the NHL rookie of the year in 2007-08, the Conn Smythe Trophy voted most valuable player of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in 2012-13, and in 2015-16, he won the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP, the Ted Lindsay Award as the most outstanding player as voted by members of the NHL Players' Association, and the Art Ross Trophy as the League's leading scorer.

"I believe 'Kaner' will go down, until the next Kane or [Stan] Mikita comes or [Bobby] Hull comes, as the greatest Blackhawks player to put on a sweater," said former Blackhawks player, coach and TV analyst Eddie Olczyk. "When you look at individual success and you look at team success, you still have chapters to write but it's been a [heck] of a ride."

[RELATED: 2022-23 NHL Trade Tracker | Kane trade ends golden era of Blackhawks hockey]

Kane has 45 points (16 goals, 29 assists) in 54 games this season and 10 points (seven goals, three assists) in his past three, but was a healthy scratch the previous two because of roster management.

Kane skated at the Blackhawks practice facility Feb. 26 after flying home before a 4-3 shootout win at the San Jose Sharks the night before.

"Patrick Kane leaves the Blackhawks with a legacy that will be hard to match," Chicago general manager Kyle Davidson said. "We all love Patrick and the memories he provided our fans and our organization for 16 seasons. He and his representatives were great to work through during this process -- I really appreciate the exemplary open communication we had -- and we wish him well with the New York Rangers. I knew from Day One of taking this job that there would be some tough days and today was one of the toughest.

"Our goal from day one is to achieve sustained success throughout all levels of the organization and that goal remains. I appreciate the continued support of team leadership and I look forward to leading the Blackhawks into this next era on the ice."

He is expected to be the right wing on a line with center Vincent Trocheck and left wing Artemi Panarin, who played with Kane on the same line in Chicago in 2015-16, when Kane won the Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player and Panarin the Calder Trophy as the rookie of the year.

It leaves Mika Zibanejad, Chris Kreider and Vladimir Tarasenko as the Rangers other top-six forward line.

Rangers coach Gerard Gallant said Tuesday that he believes Panarin and Trocheck are starting to figure each other out after struggling to establish chemistry together earlier in the season. He also said he wants to keep Zibanejad and Kreider together because they have played together for a long time.

Tarasenko, acquired from the St. Louis Blues on Feb. 9, played with Zibanejad and Kreider in the Rangers' 5-2 win against the Los Angeles Kings on Sunday.

Adding Kane to the top six also allows the Rangers to keep Filip Chytil, Kaapo Kakko and Alexis Lafreniere on the same line. Gallant has said many times this season he believes those three are best together.

The fourth line is expected to feature Tyler Motte, Barclay Goodrow and Jimmy Vesey.

Kane trade to Rangers ends golden era of Blackhawks hockey

Forward won Stanley Cup 3 times in 5 seasons; 2nd in team history in points, assists

https://www.nhl.com/news/patrick-kane-trade-to-new-york-rangers-ends-golden-era-of-chicago-blackhawks-hockey/c-341640878

Kane trade has Rangers thinking they're 'capable' of winning Cup

3-time champion will make New York debut Thursday after being acquired by Blackhawks

https://www.nhl.com/news/patrick-kane-trade-has-new-york-rangers-thinking-theyre-capable-of-winning-stanley-cup/c-341683068?tid=277548856

Fantasy spin: Kane trade impact on Rangers

Reunites with past linemate Panarin; boosts Trocheck, New York's Stanley Cup chances

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-fantasy-hockey-trade-patrick-kane-new-york-chicago-blackhawks/c-341643258?tid=277729150

• 1 month later...

cut.jpg

Kane, Tarasenko mull futures after Rangers' ouster by Devils

Each forward pending unrestricted free agent; Gallant expects to return as coach

https://www.nhl.com/news/patrick-kane-vladimir-tarasenko-mull-futures-after-new-york-rangers-ouster-by-new-jersey-devils/c-344123710?tid=277548856

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Patrick Kane and Vladimir Tarasenko are entering the offseason as pending unrestricted free agents for the first time in their NHL careers.

But each forward will enter that process with a different mindset in the aftermath of the New York Rangers' seven-game loss to the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference First Round.

Kane said he hopes to know within the next week or two if he will require surgery to repair a lower-body injury that he's been dealing with for the past few seasons. He said free agency will be something he thinks about after that.

Tarasenko said his focus will be finding the best situation for his family with the goal of signing with a team that has a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

"I'm turning 35 next year but it's not like I feel old," Kane said at the Rangers training center Wednesday. "I still feel pretty young and I feel like the passion is still there. I know that I can be a top player if my focus is solely on hockey instead of how I feel that day."

Kane said he does not know if surgery will impact his ability to start next season on time.

The 34-year-old right wing can become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his 16-year NHL career July 1.

"There's not a decision on that (surgery) yet, but we're going to have to find a way to get me back to as close to 100 percent as possible," Kane said. "Even me personally, I look at that series and know if I felt a little bit better I can help us win that series. It's almost disappointing and depressing in a way, but that's just how I feel about it."

The Rangers' season ended with a 4-0 loss to the Devils in Game 7 at Prudential Center on Monday. Kane had six points (one goal, five assists) in the series, but none in the final three games, when the Rangers went 1-2.

Kane had 12 points (five goals, seven assists) in 19 regular-season games with the Rangers after they acquired him from the Chicago Blackhawks in a three-team trade that also included the Arizona Coyotes on Feb. 28.

"I commend the training staff, (head trainer) Jim Ramsay and his staff just on getting me as ready as possible for the playoffs," Kane said. "I felt pretty good. Not 100 percent, but I felt pretty good. We'll figure everything out, talk to the doctors and see what the plan is going forward. The main focus is the health right now and to get that all figured out."

Tarasenko had four points (three goals, one assist) against New Jersey after scoring 21 points (eight goals, 13 assists) in 31 regular-season games with the Rangers, who acquired him from the St. Louis Blues on Feb. 9.

The 31-year-old, who just completed his 12th NHL season, spoke glowingly about his time with the Rangers and said he would consider re-signing with New York, but he's not ready to think too much about that yet.

"For me, I've never been a free agent before so just looking forward to how it is," he said. "I don't really have time to think about it now, just need a few days to calm down and figure out what to do."

The Rangers also have forward Tyler Motte, defenseman Niko Mikkola and goalie Jaroslav Halak as pending unrestricted free agents. Defenseman K'Andre Miller and forward Alexis Lafreniere are pending restricted free agents coming off their entry-level contracts.

Miller, Lafreniere and Mikkola each said they will leave the business side of their game to their agents. Halak did not speak with the media Wednesday.

Motte said he is interested in re-signing with the Rangers if the feeling is mutual. The Rangers clearly like Motte since they acquired him ahead of the NHL Trade Deadline for the second straight season, getting him from the Ottawa Senators on Feb. 19 this season.

"Absolutely," he said. "Comfortable the second time around here for sure. Love the city. Love this group. You never know who is going to be back in a locker room at the beginning of each year, but this is one that I love to be a part of and love to be in. There's a lot of the core guys that you take two runs at it with and you'd love to do it again."

Gerard Gallant said he expects to be back for his third season as the Rangers coach. He said he has not spoken yet to general manager Chris Drury, but that he was "disappointed" he even had to address his future when he met with the media Wednesday.

"I'm coming in here from what I think is two excellent years," Gallant said. "We had one bad week and it cost us."

The Rangers went 47-22-13 this season for 107 points after winning 52 games and getting 110 points last season. In Gallant's two seasons, they're fifth in the NHL in points percentage (.662) and tied for sixth in wins (99) with the Edmonton Oilers and Minnesota Wild.

New York is 13-14 in the Stanley Cup Playoffs under Gallant but had a 2-0 lead in each of its last two series -- against the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Eastern Conference Final last season and against the Devils in the first round this season -- and did not win either.

"If I can't stand by my record, what I've done, I think there's something wrong," Gallant said. "I think it's pretty good. and not just the record here, the record moving forward."

• 5 weeks later...

cut.jpg

Patrick Kane could miss start of season after hip surgery

34-year-old forward has resurfacing procedure, can become unrestricted free agent July 1

https://www.nhl.com/news/patrick-kane-could-miss-start-of-season-after-hip-surgery/c-344686138

Patrick Kane could miss the start of next season after having hip resurfacing surgery Thursday.

The 34-year-old forward, who can become an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career on July 1, had 57 points (21 goals, 36) in 73 regular-season games this season for the New York Rangers and Chicago Blackhawks, including 12 points (five goals, seven assists) in 19 games after he was acquired in a trade with the Blackhawks on Feb. 28.

Kane had six points (one goal, five assists) in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the Rangers, who lost in seven games to the New Jersey Devils in the Eastern Conference First Round.

News of the surgery was first reported by Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet.

"Patrick did this because he wants to continue playing," Kane's agent, Pat Brisson, told NHL.com. "Surgery went extremely well and we're very confident that he will be able to play next year and hopefully for many more years to come."

After the Rangers were eliminated May 1, Kane said he hoped to know soon if he would require surgery to repair a lower-body injury that he has been dealing with for the past few seasons.

"There's not a decision on that (surgery) yet, but we're going to have to find a way to get me back to as close to 100 percent as possible," Kane said May 3. "I'm turning 35 next year, but it's not like I feel old. I still feel pretty young and I feel like the passion is still there. I know that I can be a top player if my focus is solely on hockey instead of how I feel that day."

Two players have come back to play in the NHL after having hip resurfacing surgery: center Nicklas Backstrom, who rejoined the Washington Capitals lineup Jan. 8, nearly seven months after having the procedure, and played 39 games last season; and defenseman Ed Jovanovski, who returned to play 37 games for the Florida Panthers in the 2013-14 season.

The No. 1 pick by Chicago in the 2007 NHL Draft, Kane has 1,237 points (451 goals, 786 assists) in 1,180 regular-season games for the Blackhawks and Rangers, and 138 points (53 goals, 85 points) in 143 playoff games. He is second in Blackhawks history in points (1,225) and assists (779), behind Stan Mikita (1,467 points, 926 assists); third in goals (446), behind Bobby Hull (604) and Mikita (541); and third in games played (1,161), trailing Mikita (1,396) and Duncan Keith (1,192).

Kane won the Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks in 2010, 2013 and 2015. He also won the Calder Trophy voted as the NHL rookie of the year in 2007-08, and the Conn Smythe Trophy voted as most valuable player of the playoffs in 2013. 

In 2015-16, he won the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP, the Ted Lindsay Award as the most outstanding player as voted by members of the NHL Players' Association, and the Art Ross Trophy as the League's leading scorer.

The 2023-24 season is expected to begin in October.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Top remaining NHL unrestricted free agents include Patrick Kane

Patrick Kane, New York Rangers

A three-time Stanley Cup winner with the Blackhawks (2010, 2013, 2015), Kane was traded to the Rangers on Feb. 28. The 34-year-old had 12 points (five goals, seven assists) in 19 regular-season games with New York and six points (one goal, five assists) in seven playoff games after having 45 points (16 goals, 29 assists) for Chicago before the trade. Kane had hip surgery June 1 and could miss the start of the season, but the five-time 30-goal scorer might be appealing to a contender intent on making a long run in the playoffs.

https://www.nhl.com/news/best-of-remaining-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents/c-345180466?tid=281072352

• 2 weeks later...

cut.jpg

Patrick Kane not expected to sign contract prior to season

Agent says forward will be 'amazing asset for many teams' after recovering from June hip surgery

https://www.nhl.com/news/patrick-kane-not-expected-to-sign-prior-to-season-report/c-345332120

Patrick Kane is not expected to sign a contract with an NHL team prior to the 2023-24 season, his agent said Thursday.

The 34-year-old forward had hip resurfacing surgery June 1 with an expected recovery time of 4-6 months.

ESPN first reported that Kane is unlikely to be under contract before the season.

"This is an unusual situation, and I'm very, very comfortable with that situation because I know he's an amazing player and I can't wait to see him going 100 percent," Pat Brisson said. "He's going to be an amazing asset for many teams. I'm looking forward to, I would say sit and watch, but I manage that side at the appropriate time."

As for Kane's progress following surgery, Brisson said, "He's doing great in his rehab. I would say right on target. I hate to put timelines or put him ahead of the schedule, so on and so forth, but he's doing great. He's doing fantastic, first and foremost. Yeah, so everything is going in the right direction."

The season begins Oct. 10.

Asked whether Kane is seeking a one-year contract or multiyear deal, Brisson said, "My best advice to him, based on the type of player that he is -- and he's a fantastic player, he's arguably, probably the best American who's ever played the game -- I look at Patrick, this surgery will put him in the position where he'll feel great. He played with an injury for a year and a half or so, he had to deal with it and now I can't wait for the moment when he's cleared and he feels great. At that point, that's why I'm not saying anything like, whether he does a one- or two- or three- or four- or five-year deal, at that point we'll see where teams are at, where the possibilities are at, the [NHL salary] cap's going up next year.

"Sitting here in July, we can predict all we want where teams are going to be in November and December, and that's when Patrick should be coming back. Why don't we wait [until] around that time and look at where teams are at and how he feels and before we make decision to explore a short- or a longer-term deal. I don't want to speculate because I'm not there yet."

Kane last spoke to the media May 3, two days after he and the New York Rangers were eliminated by the New Jersey Devils in seven games in the Eastern Conference First Round. At the time, he was still undecided on having surgery but said, "We're going to have to find a way to get me back to as close as 100 percent as possible."

"I'm turning 35 next year, but it's not like I feel old," Kane said. "I still feel pretty young, and I feel like the passion is still there. I know that I can be a top player if my focus is solely on hockey instead of how I feel that day."

The No. 1 pick by the Chicago Blackhawks in the 2007 NHL Draft, Kane has 1,237 points (451 goals, 786 assists) in 1,180 regular-season games for the Blackhawks and Rangers, who acquired him in a trade with Chicago on Feb. 28. He also has 138 points (53 goals, 85 points) in 143 Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Kane is second in Blackhawks history in points (1,225) and assists (779), behind Stan Mikita (1,467 points, 926 assists); third in goals (446), behind Bobby Hull (604) and Mikita (541); and third in games played (1,161), trailing Mikita (1,396) and Duncan Keith (1,192).

He won the Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks in 2010, 2013 and 2015 and also won the Calder Trophy, voted as the NHL rookie of the year, in 2007-08. Kane won the Conn Smythe Trophy voted as most valuable player of the playoffs in 2013.

Kane was one of the cornerstones of the Blackhawks, along with center Jonathan Toews, who has been captain since July 18, 2008. However, prior to their final regular-season game last season on April 13, the Blackhawks announced that they would not re-sign Toews.

Toews and Kane each was in the final season of an eight-year contract he signed July 9, 2014.

"Him and Johnny wanted to retire as 'Hawks," Brisson told ESPN. "But unfortunately, things worked out differently."

NHL.com staff writer Tracey Myers contributed to this report

Edited by NHL HHOF

Patrick Kane, New York Rangers

A three-time Stanley Cup winner with the Blackhawks (2010, 2013, 2015), Kane was traded to the Rangers on Feb. 28. The 34-year-old had 12 points (five goals, seven assists) in 19 regular-season games with New York and six points (one goal, five assists) in seven playoff games after having 45 points (16 goals, 29 assists) for Chicago before the trade. Kane had hip surgery June 1 and could miss the start of the season, but the five-time 30-goal scorer might be appealing to a contender intent on making a long run in the playoffs. His agent, Pat Brisson, told ESPN that the forward is not expected to sign a contract with an NHL team prior to the season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/best-of-remaining-nhl-unrestricted-free-agents/c-345180466?tid=281072352