Durzi traded to Yotes for a 2024 2nd round pick

Brewin Flames

Durzi traded to Coyotes by Kings

Los Angeles receives 2nd-round pick in 2024 for 24-year-old defenseman

NHL.com @NHLdotcom
 4:43 PM
cut.jpg

Sean Durzi was traded to the Arizona Coyotes by the Los Angeles Kings on Saturday.

The Kings received a second-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft that the Coyotes had previously acquired from the Montreal Canadiens.

The 24-year-old defenseman had an NHL career-high 38 points (nine goals, 29 assists) in 72 regular-season games in 2022-23 and one goal in six Stanley Cup Playoff games.

Durzi has one season remaining on a two-year, $3.4 million contract ($1.7 million average annual value) he signed with the Kings on Sept. 5, 2022. He can be a restricted free agent after next season.

"Sean is a reliable two-way defenseman who has good vision and contributes offensively," Coyotes general manager Bill Armstrong said. "He will be a very good addition to our blue line and we look forward to having him on our roster this season."

A second-round pick (No. 52) in the 2018 NHL Draft by the Toronto Maple Leafs, Durzi has 65 points (12 goals, 53 assists) in 136 NHL games, each with the Kings, and four points (two goals, two assists) in 13 playoff games.

I'd like to say this is a nice pickup for the Coyotes...except, I am not sure just what in the blazes they are doing over there.

Durzi showed flashes of being perhaps a solid second pair, both-sides-of-the-puck defenseman, and at just 24, he has plenty of ceiling.
But will that ceiling be realized playing on a team that is forever simply collecting picks, losing games, collecting more picks, getting players, then trading off those players.

I really would like to see the Coyotes turn into a competitive franchise already. They've been given all the ingredients (except a new arena), but honestly, the team on the ice, whether they play in an NHL arena or someone's literal barn, should be making strides upwards.
But I look up "Stagnant" and I see a Yotes logo....

This dog n pony show in the desert is well past old.

At any rate, Durzi is a nice player. If he can't seem to make any big impact with the Coyotes, perhaps, as Arizona is prone to doing, he will be traded yet again to a team that could use his skillset in THEIR rebuild, or a contender that can use his skillset to compliment the top talent they already have.

• Like 1

Jeebus...look at me. 
Rambling on about the Coyotes when this is a KINGS forum...heh.

Ok, well, the Kings get a pick in next year's draft.
Second rounder. About where decent defensemen are found I think.

LA could have used Durzi's skillset, IMO, but the fact they traded him tells me they are pretty happy with what they have now or what they have in the pipeline from the blueline moving forward.
I would think LA is in 'win now' mode, as I believe they'd like to try and win one more Cup with a core that still includes Kopitar and Doughty.

The rest of the core is mostly in their prime years, so while the pick is nice for later for LA, it doesn't help them now, and in fact, it may have weakened their blue line, unless of course, they have immediate replacements for Durzi with players similar to his skillset ready to come up.