Preseason Thoughts So Far

SpikeDDS

Well, only one preseason game left to play until they start counting, and it should be an interesting one since most, if not all, of the lineup will be the team we will carry into the regular season, with maybe one or two more switches at most. Here are my thoughts so far:

The Wings that impressed me so far:

1. Ghost - He is making such an impact on the PP. @yave1964, if he keeps this up, you'll be right about it being an upgrade from whatshisname...having a hard time remembering... 😉

(Yes I know Hronek's name; just having a little fun with it for effect.)

1a. The PP - It looks the best it has looked since Pav & Z were both here. Puck movement is WAY less predictable. Way more one-touch passing, tic-tac-toe opportunities. Night and day difference. The addition of Ghost and Debrincat in this regard cannot be denied. The PP has consistently been our Achilles heel since the Blashill era. This is clearly another level.

2. Rasmussen - Looks like he's picking up where he left off before his injury. With the way he's shooting, he might be better on the wing, since we have enough centers. Do you realize that other than Larkin, Ras has the most games played in a Red Wing uniform on the team?

3. Veleno - This guy looks like he is responding the right way to a one-year deal so far. He looks fast, he's winning puck battles, making plays, and scoring himself. Even staying mostly responsible on D. I've been very impressed with him, and I was starting to wonder if I was expecting too much. He continues to play like this, and he'll get a deal from Stevie before the season is out.

4. Berggren - Last season was not a fluke. This kid is smart! He gets a little more meat on his bones in the next few years, and he'll be a real force, activating others around him. And showing a nice shot too.

5. Reimer/Lyon - The scoreboards might be somewhat deceptive, but these two have played very solid between the pipes. Lyon was excellent againt the Leafs last night, keeping us in the game so we could at least take them to OT. Reimer has played better than I expected also. This decision will be interesting.

6. Edvinsson - He looks OK, but I think he starts in GR. I think he'll end up being called up, and he could stay up once called, but we'll see. He's had some defensive lapses, and I think he could use at least part of a season to get his mind ready to adjust to the faster game.

7. Soderblom - Looks slow this preseason. Giving up pucks because of it. I think he stays in GR.

8. Danielson - Looks like the real deal. Very mature. Making mostly good decisions. Doesn't look like he's having difficulty adjusting to the speed. He looks more ready for the show than Kasper does. Size helps, and the kid's only just turned 18! I've been super-impressed with him. Like Berggren, smart and creative. Fast too. If there is a young surprise to make the squad, he's it, IMHO. I don't know who gets bumped other than Soderblom from the expected players to make the team.

9. Kasper - Not making enough impact yet. Needs a season in GR to figure things out. He looks to me like the speed of play and the small ice are giving him expected challenges. He doesn't look "bad." He just doesn't look ready enough. Just saw he has been sent to GR. Right call.

Noted that this morning, Czarnik, Gettinger, McIsaac, Newpower, Rafferty, Stevens, & Hirose were all put on waivers.

Also: Kasper, Lombardi, Johansson, Tuomisto, Viro, Wallinder and Cossa were all sent to GR today.

So far, they are reading the tea leaves similarly to how I am reading them. More tough decisions to come over the weekend.

• Like 1

Amadeus Lombardi made an impression, the kid is slipping under the radar but is very talented 

Wallinder not so much. Did little to impress with as many dmen as we have he could get buried. Edvisson had a nice goal to close out Pittsburgh late but hasn't done much 

The vets, you are spot on. Rasmussen especially has impressed. I think we will be able to run two legit power play units this year. Cautiously optimistic we will be average or a bit better in net.

Tough division. We have to close mb over at least two of Boston, Florida, Ottawa or Buffalo which is a huge task..still I like the roster, not only at the NHL level but the kids at GR as well.

Oh PS compher looks really, really fearless and skilled as well.