Is Perron the New Yzerman? My Tribute

SpikeDDS

The title might be misleading a little bit. I'm not saying David Perron is or will ever be as great a Red Wing or even as great a player as Steve Yzerman, let me clear that up right off the bat. But there is one thing that happened over the weekend that is history repeating itself that caught my attention.

After his goal on Saturday, the camera zoomed in on David Perron sitting on the bench, and in his hand he was holding JT Compher's stick. You could see Compher's name clearly on the stick handle. Ken and Mickey noticed it and commented. It WAS a little strange, because normally when that happens, it's just after a player's stick breaks and someone just hands him the next available stick they have available, whosever stick it might be. But he hadn't broken his stick recently. And no one was rummaging down in the tunnel to find him a replacement. He was playing with it on purpose.

After the game, or it may have been before Sunday's game, someone asked Perron about it, and he said he had switched sticks. Why? His response was that he was being asked to play a different role. And whereas when he was primarily playing on the flank and using his one-timer, he used a shaft that had a bit more flex to it to maximize velocity on his snapshot. But now, he was being asked to play net front and down low and screening the goalie, and mucking it up for the dirty goals in the blue paint. He said to do that, Compher suggested he try a stick with a more firm flex for doing stick battles with opponents. So he started playing with Compher's sticks. It was mentioned that he was doing it so much that they were running low on Compher's sticks.

Here's the point: Players and coaches talk about "buying in" to their systems. Some players are asked to change their roles. Frequently, when an historically top-rated scorer gets asked to play more defense or to play in the trenches, you'll get pushback. Either that, or the player will give only a modicum of effort, playing "lazy." Players do that when they aren't happy. Ask Debrincat about last year. He admitted it, even though he tried later to walk it back. You can go through the motions playing a role you don't want to play.

JT Compher's stick tells you that David Perron isn't going through the motions. He has decided to embrace his new role, and it's allowing Larkin and Debrincat to shine in what used to be HIS role. The stick change tells you he's giving it his best effort; that he is willing to change his game to allow the team to win.

Years ago, Steve Yzerman was top-3 in the league (only behind Gretzky and Lemieux) in offensive production. But Scotty Bowman challenged him to buy in to his left wing lock system, which would mean he would have to take on a more-defensive role than ever before. Yzerman did NOT want to do it. He refused. And for the next couple seasons, the Red Wings did what they HAD been doing--winning in the regular season, and being trounced in the early rounds of the playoffs. It almost came to the point where the Wings were actually considering moving Yzerman or not re-signing him because of it. But Yzerman finally came to his senses, and committed to Bowman that he would play his way, and two seasons later, we won our first of four Stanley Cups in the Wings' era.

Perron didn't need to wait 2 or 3 seasons. He bought in immediately. I have to take my hat off to the man. That is not easy to do, but he has clearly made the right decision, and both he and the team will be better off for it. Just look at Debrincat and Larkin's stats if anyone isn't convinced as well as the Wings' current position in the standings.

It's early, but THIS MATTERS!

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1

Wow are the boys fun to watch so far. Let's not forget that they started 3-0-2 last season, but this feels so different. They also had a 4 game winning streak to get within two points of a wildcard spot last season in February but again, not the same feel. A simply ferocious backcheck, the moment an opponent has the puck at least one, sometimes two Wings are in their face contesting every inch of the ice. Perron as a fantastic two way forward is a big part of that, but every addition we made this offseason plays the same way as Perron and Copp, last years adds do. Taking the puck away from the opponents and immediately switching to offense, been a long time. Fun to watch.  This feels real. And with more cap room than about anyone in the game still plenty of room to add Kane and/or several others if needed down the stretch. 

• Like 1

I admit i was dismayed when Berggren began in the AHL (he was killing it early BTW) but the reason was he needed to work on his defense. Czarnik first call up frustrated me as well. Now Berggren will understand offense is not the end all. be all and will play a nasty two way game as well.

Again, love the team so far.  Beating Tampa and Pittsburgh but most importantly Ottawa so early set the tone.

• Like 1

@yave1964

Ottawa was a statement game for sure. You KNOW how reticent I am to get optimistic. I’ve had good reason to be that way. I have less good reason now than any time in the last 10 years to be hesitant. I still am. It IS early. But you’re right. This DOES feel VERY different. If for no other reason, despite Larkin and Debrincat being at the top of the NHL in scoring, we’ve had just about as balanced a score sheet this season as you could draw up. EVERYONE is contributing. We are rolling four—sometimes 3 2/3) LEGIT lines that can all play and are real threats. How does a team defend against that, especially if the top line is dominating like they are in addition?

If Stevie Y isn’t on top of the GM of the Year standings right now, I’d like to know who else is. He’ll try to play it down, but this is the product of his genius plus good fortune that Debrincat wanted to come home and is playing like he is elated. But to Steve’s credit, he amassed the resources required to make a deal happen.

This IS fun, even if I haven’t yet FULLY swallowed the KoolAid. I am taking sips, and DANG if it doesn’t taste good!!

Edited by SpikeDDS
  • Like 1