Calgary Flames Draft 2024

Posted (edited)

is there any situation where calgary could end up with tij iginla and Carter Yakemchuk? If not,what is the most likely 1st round picks?

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Good Post 1

Who can the Calgary Flames target at No. 9 overall in the 2024 NHL Draft?

By Nathan Smith

2023 NHL Draft, Samuel Honzek

2023 NHL Draft, Samuel Honzek / Bruce Bennett/GettyImages

After weeks of anticipation, a deflating 2024 NHL Draft Lottery saw the Calgary Flames make absolutely no movement, solidifying them in the No. 9 slot for the upcoming 2024 NHL Draft. While this draft isn’t considered a deep one, the top of the draft certainly has some top level talent, with the Flames potentially targeting a game-changing player.

Sure, they impossible dream of landing Macklin Celebrini unsurprisingly didn’t come true, but with the Flames building a solid young core of B level prospects, now is the time for them to target a big name in this draft.

Anton Silayev (Available in two mock drafts, drafted in one)

LHD, Torpedo, KHL.
2023-24 stats: 63 GP, 3 goals, 8 assists.

Silayev comes in at 6-foot-7 and brings great skill as well as size, so if the Flames see him on their draft board, no one who has watched this team draft for the past few decades would bat an eye if he was the selection.

Sam Dickinson (Available in four mock drafts, drafted in none)

LHD, London, OHL.
2023-24 stats: 68 GP, 18 goals, 52 assists.

With good size and a great skating ability, the Flames could do a lot worse, and depending on who you ask, this could be a deflating pick, or it could be the one that leads this blue line going forward for years.

Zeev Buium (Available in two mock drafts, drafted in none)

LHD, University of Denver, NCAA.
2023-24 stats: 42 GP, 11 goals, 39 assists.

Depending on how the front office sees their priorities, it would make sense, but if they want a game-changing defenseman, than look no further.

Zayne Parekh (Available in two mock drafts, drafted in one)

RHD, Saginaw, OHL.
2023-24 stats: 66 GP, 33 goals, 63 assists.

Parekh’s work defensively certainly needs work, but with raw offensive skills that we’ve rarely seen heading into the draft, the Flames could certainly do much worse if he fell to them at No. 9.

Konsta Helenius (Available in eight mock drafts, drafted in one)

C, Jukurit, Liiga.
2023-24 stats: 51 GP, 14 goals, 22 assists.

Like many centres in this draft, he comes in somewhat undersized, but with the skill and the experience playing against grown men already, and while it may not be a popular pick, it wouldn’t be a bad one.

Carter Yakemchuk (Available in all 10 mock drafts, drafted in one)

RHD, Calgary, WHL.
2023-24 stats: 66 GP, 30 goals, 41 assists.

However, there’s questions over his poise and how much work it would take for him to translate to the NHL, and that type of patience is shown by the fact that only one mock draft has him landing in Calgary, as he’s not quite ready to contribute right away.

Berkly Catton (Available in nine mock drafts, drafted in none)

C, Spokane, WHL.
2023-24 stats: 68 GP, 54 goals, 62 assists.

If Iginla is drafted, it makes sense that Catton is the next logical pick given he plays arguably the most important position in hockey, and with the Flames needs being C and D, Catton could be a very bright star of the future.

Cole Eiserman (Available in seven mock drafts, drafted in none)

LW, USNTDP.
2023-24 stats: 24 GP, 25 goals, 9 assists.

The reason for that is very likely due to the amount of wingers the Flames have, and unless the draft falls in a very interesting way, it’s unlikely that the team will look into Eiserman.

Tij Iginla (Available in nine mock drafts, drafted in six)

F, Kelowna, WHL.
2023-24 stats: 64 GP, 37 goals, 47 assists.

At this point, it seems almost inevitable that the Flames would draft Iginla, that is if he is truly available, as his stock seemingly continues to rise. Iginla has improved in every way, physically, mentally and skillfully over the past year, and it appears as though those in hockey media see this draft playing out in a consistent fashion.

• Good Post 1

Posted (edited)

Flames Draft Picks 2024

* Subject to change

1st Round (9th overall) Zayne Parekh, Defense

1st Round (28th overall) Matvei Gridin, RW

2nd Round (41st overall) Andrew Basha, LW

2nd Round (62nd overall) Jacob Battaglia, RW

3rd Round (74th overall) Henry Mews, D

3rd Round (84th overall) Kirill Zarubin, G

4th Round (106th overall) Trevor Hoskin, RW

5th Round (150th overall) Luke Misa, C

6th Round (170th overall) Hunter Laing, C

6th Round (177th overall) Eric Jamieson, D

7th Round (none)

Edited by Brewin Flames
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 1

• Brewin Flames changed the title to Calgary Flames Draft 2024
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2024 at 1:47 AM, frostbyte25 said:

is there any situation where calgary could end up with tij iginla and Carter Yakemchuk? If not,what is the most likely 1st round picks?

Nevermind Yakemchuk if Calgary doesn't gey Iggy Jr someway somehow it'll be a catastrophic failure of a draft season in my opinion...

• 2 weeks later...

'Pretty Good Gut Feeling'

Flames add dynamic defenceman Zayne Parekh with first pick 20240628_Parekh

ByRyan Dittrick
@ryandittrick CalgaryFlames.com

LAS VEGAS – Imagining finishing the most pivotal season of your career on top, to the tune of a national championship.

Nothing could top that feeling … Right?

“I'm still living on that high,” a beaming Zayne Parekh said after being chosen by the Flames with the 9th pick in the NHL Draft. “But I think this one might top it.

“They're 1 and 2.

“1A and 1B.”

Parekh and the Saginaw Spirit – who were bounced in the post-season by the powerhouse London Knights – returned the favour as Memorial Cup hosts, dispatching their OHL rivals to capture the 2024 Memorial Cup last month.

Now, he’s a Calgary Flame.

And after the conversations he had with General Manager Craig Conroy and the Flames brass at the Scouting Combine only a few weeks ago, he had a feeling this is how things would play out.

“I had a really good talk with them,” he recalled. “They told my agent that I spoke pretty well and that there was interest coming into this draft.

“When it did happen, with the feeling I before ... I knew. And in the 30 seconds leading up to it, I was smiling.

“Pretty good gut feeling.”

image.jpg?fastly_token=Njg2MGIzMGRfY2E3Z

"I love to win - I love that feeling"

The Nobleton, Ont. native had more than 40 family and friends on hand, where the NHL wowed a sold-out crowd with a first-class, one-of-a-kind presentation at the magnificent Sphere.

While the experience of sitting among fans with his future in play had a remarkable, if not distressing, big-league feel to it, Parekh admits he had no trouble keeping his nerves in check.

After all, this is moment he’d been training for.

Parekh is coming off an immaculate season with the Spirit, recording 96 points (33G, 63A) in 66 regular-season games, before adding another 11 points (2G, 9A) in 13 playoff appearances.

This, most impressively, came on the heels of setting an OHL record the year prior, when he potted 21 goals to score the most-ever by a 16-year-old rookie.

Parekh – a right shot – is clearly a dynamic offensive defenceman. His elite vision, footspeed and puck skills mirror those of the greatest threats currently playing in The Show – like one of his idols, 2024 Norris Trophy winner Quinn Hughes.

It’s no surprise, then, that both Hughes and Avalanche blueliner, Calgary native Cale Makar, are the two NHLers he loves to watch most.

“I think that's the type of player I am,” he said of his offensive exploits. “I'm a creative kid with the puck and I like to express that. In terms of the way I play, I like to be creative and make plays on the blueline.

The fact that that's grown in the game, I love it. It's the next wave of generational defencemen and you need your defencemen in the play to contribute. I love to make an effort to help my team out.”

image.jpg?fastly_token=Njg2MGIyYjdfNmYwY

When Parekh spoke with CalgaryFlames.com last month as part of our 2024 NHL Draft Class series, he made an interesting comment about his growth over the past year.

Hearing some criticism that he was too one-dimensional (because of that incredible numbers he racked up), Parekh pored over hours of game tape to identify the holes in his game.

While the defensive side was never an issue with him per se, the growth he’s seen over the past calendar year because of this practice turned him from steady prospect to a true dual threat with game-breaking potential.

All of it was the result of his one-of-a-kind work ethic.

And in talking to him post-draft, it’s clear the motivation from within has never been higher.

“I was working with the best, Sergei Samsonov,” the 6-foot, 181-lb. Parekh said of the support group in Saginaw. “He watched back a lot of my games and gave me feedback and we (also) watched games together.

He was perfect for me in terms of development and the biggest thing he told me this year was, 'You've got to WANT to defend.' That was the biggest eye-opener for me and sometimes going in there a little straight-legged trying to anticipate the play, but he told me to be quick; close on guys quicker and don't wait and overthink things.

“I took steps in the right direction every day. It starts in practice obviously. From the start of the season to the end of the season, I think I really matured in terms of my game away from the puck. With the puck, I became more creative and smarter. And I thought I became a little bit of better skater throughout the year, too.”

So much so that after a full year’s worth of toil, he skated into the off-season as a Memorial Cup titleholder.

“I love to win. I love that feeling of winning and going through those 10 days with that group of guys, I wouldn't trade that for anything in the world, honestly.

“If I could relive it, I would 1,000 times over,” he said.

And certainly, this emotional Vegas Night will live long in the memory bank, too.

• Good Post 1

9. Calgary Flames -- Zayne Parekh, D, Saginaw (OHL)

NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 5 (North American skaters)

Parekh (6-0, 178), climbed to No. 5 from No. 10 in Central Scouting's midterm rankings in January. He's a transitional defenseman who can quarterback the power play. The right-handed shot led Ontario Hockey League defensemen and set Saginaw records for goals (33) and points (96) by a defenseman in 66 regular-season games.

Parekh also scored 10 power-play goals, two short-handed goals and six game-winning goals. He had 11 points (two goals, nine assists) in 13 OHL playoff games, and had five points (one goal, four assists) in five games to help Saginaw win the Memorial Cup.

The 18-year-old has been compared to Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Erik Karlsson because of his dynamic offensive skills.

"His upside is huge," Nick Smith of Central Scouting said. "He never gets rattled, is full of poise and confidence, and has the skills and the brain ... just a smart, smart player. He can score, he's got a good touch, he's got good vision, and he competes. A real high-end prospect."

NHL.com analysis: The Flames get an electric offensive-minded defenseman that makes the comparisons to Karlsson very apt. But what also makes Parekh stand out is his hockey IQ and determination to disprove the doubters who believe he won't be able to defend at an NHL level.

Parekh had the work ethic to graduate high school at 16; it's easy to see him putting that kind of effort into becoming a better defensive player.

• Good Post 1

18 hours ago, Brewin Flames said:

They tried to move up...no luck.

He was gone.

I know they tried but they didn't try hard enough...they had over a year to plan this and still messed it up...

2 minutes ago, thegx.ca said:

I know they tried but they didn't try hard enough...they had over a year to plan this and still messed it up...

Actually, I think you're being a little hard Conroy here.

A few scouts saw Iginla as a 6/7th pick, most of them had him anywhere from 12th to 17th, and Bob McKenzie had him #10, so the Flames were positioned well to get him. Utah kind of went off the board to take him with #6, and it could work well for them; who knows? The sheer amount of heartache from Calgary fans over this is probably indicative of the huge amount of pressure this could have placed on the kid.

4 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

A few scouts saw Iginla as a 6/7th pick, most of them had him anywhere from 12th to 17th, and Bob McKenzie had him #10, so the Flames were positioned well to get him. Utah kind of went off the board to take him with #6, and it could work well for them; who knows? The sheer amount of heartache from Calgary fans over this is probably indicative of the huge amount of pressure this could have placed on the kid.

Which is exactly why i did not want him....

Good for the kid, but if he comes to the flames and he's not Jarome.2 in 2 seasons, that fan base would destroy him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JR Ewing said:

Yeah nobody predicted him bring being top ten before either but still a whole year to trade for 6 or 7 overall he should've done more get higher picks...