high school hockey

blocker

High school hockey has always been a big thing here. The newspaper blogs are way more active during hockey than any other sport.

But, junior programs and prep schools are attracting more kids every year. Some programs have folded or merged due to lack of numbers. I watched some games this past year in which one team or another consisted of less than a dozen players.

I fully understand the decision to go the prep school route. The academics are far better. I have a grandson who's making that choice this fall. His new school has taken his financial burden away. He will be playing at a higher level, and getting a better education at no cost to him.

Times and chances for opportunities change things.

Still, it can be sad.

Love the topic blocker...

And you are right that hockey has always been pretty big in the Philly area. When I was growing up some kids went off to play for a prep school b/c it offered them a higher level of competition of hockey and a great education for free. Although, a number of guys that I played with went on to play for D1 programs and did far better than the chosen "prep school" route players...

You bring up a good point about the number of players. While most players are not going to play at the AAA jr level or metro jr league the numbers seem to be dwindling in certain areas. I have been invloved w/ a local youth program for 6 years as a Coach and Board Member and the politics and $$ aspect of the sport is turning into a tragedy. As an example I know of a rink outside of the Philly are that literally turned away over 100 families b/c of pure political BS - the rink wanted their own team and refused to let an outside club skate in their venue b/c the rink wanted to have it's own team. This comes after nearly 3 years of the other team skating in the exact building that kicked them out.

I also think there is some accountability issues with Teams in the area. Some teams will drop players out of a higher division (A,AA,AAA) to stack a Team and win. This is hapening more and more and USA Hockey turns a blind eye for the most part. If the league itself is not managing the rosters than other kids see less ice time just so the Team/Coach can get the win.

After many years of being on the ice with kids of all ages and abilities I finally have had enough - which is very sad b/c I absolutely love Coaching and being at the rink. All of the politics, sorry ass coaches and parents ruin it for the kids anymore. As I am sure you are aware it is an expensive sport to play even at the mite level. Parents seem to think their little Johnny is the next best thing in the world as a PeeWee....

I had one parent of a decent B level player actually send their kids to a Jr tryout. Beforehand they consulted me and I gently told them he would be better served working hard to make it to the A level. When I told them they acted like I was clueless. Well, the kid went and tried out for a AAA jr team and the kid was literally embarrased to the point the parents were yelling at him after evaluations. This same kid ended up quitting hockey b/c of his experience w/ his very own parents. They ruined it for him!

I played a lot of sports in my day - hockey, lax, football and swimming. By far hockey parents are the craziest bunch. Not all of them but certainly enough to cause disruption amongst teams, players and organizations.

I wish your grandson all the best in prep school and think nowadays if you are afforded the opportunity to play you have to take that route. Local clubs are almost becoming 2nd hand anymore. Financials and politics play a huge role in the dwindling numbers...

Edited by murraycraven