Miller to Colorado for Stastny?

Guest hf101

@Hockey Junkie

"Your own Flyers would take him in a minute if you could get him" 

They cannot afford to. Plus I think Holmgren and Co learned their lesson on taking aging, skill deteriorated goal tenders with bloated contracts. 

"Enroth is close to Miller as a goalie"

I do not want to dig up threads from the old silly <dot com> forums, but I distinctly recall you feeling very good about Enroth a few years back. However, that is hearsay and paraphrased on my behalf, so I will not hold you to that.

"He has won a Vezina and he has taken the Sabres very deep into post season on several occasions."

Those are facts that cannot be argued. He did and he did, but that it's been some time since both occurred. Well at least the later of the two. 

Let's take a stroll down memory lane, shall we?

Got them to the Finals in 05-06, but he also had one of the most dynamic offenses in front of him. Posted a 2.60 0.914 (respectable)for his 1st year as a pro and 2.56 .908 in the playoffs. Those numbers suggest perhaps the team in front of him was playing better than he was.

06-07 got them to the finals, but again had a great team in front of him. Posted a  2.73 0.911 record during the regular season (not too great ), but played well enough for them to be competitive in the post season.

07-08 08-09 did not qualify. Had a very suspect record during that time. 

09-10 lost to Boston in the quaterfinals and had GREAT numbers. Coincidentally won the Vezina that year. 

10-11 I think we all know what happened that year. That was the same year that you put the Halibut back in the fridge I guess because Mr. Miller has not been the same since. And I do recall seeing Mr. Enroth during those playoffs.

I don't think anybody is saying Ryan Miller is a bad goalie, and yes many teams would love his services, but to sit there and act like he is a top five goalie in the league is a bit of a stretch. 

I want to end this post with stating that I am not trying to flame you or troll the thread and I have tremendous respect for Ryan Miller and your hockey knowledge, but I just do not see him as valuable as you do. 

You seem to forget the defense went south on him.  Look at what Bob has done in Colombus.  Lets not forget what Miller has done.  He has won a Vezina and he has taken the Sabres very deep into post season on several occasions.  He can do so again.  Your own Flyers would take him in a minute if you could get him

You have to drop your fixation with the Flyers because it has nothing to do with Miller being a good goalie or not. I do think the Flyers might take him - just not at his current price.

We'll see how Miller does as a UFA.

And your reliance on the "defense going south" argument just fuels @jammer2's point:

Enroth had a better GAA and a better SV% than Miller playing behind the same defense.

I don't think anybody is saying Ryan Miller is a bad goalie, and yes many teams would love his services, but to sit there and act like he is a top five goalie in the league is a bit of a stretch. 

I want to end this post with stating that I am not trying to flame you or troll the thread and I have tremendous respect for Ryan Miller and your hockey knowledge, but I just do not see him as valuable as you do. 

This.

@Hockey Junkie

No he is not old at all for his position and he probably will have many successful years ahead of him. However, if I am the Sabres and the opportunity arose to grab Stasney for Miller, I'd really consider the trade. 

I'll say this, there would have been no silver in Vancouver if it were not for Ryan Miller's performance. And as a fan of USA hockey I think he has done a lot for the program. 

This year in Russia it is going to be interesting to see who gets the nod: Miller, Quick or Schneider/Howard. This considering they are on the roster, but by the looks of things it's a shoe-in for Miller and Quick. The jury is still out on Howard or Schneider. 

At  33 he is not old.  So lets all agree on that at least

I hear he's also nice to kittens. Since no one had made any reference to his treatment of kittens (just as no one called him "old" in this whole thread) I hope we can all at least agree that he is not old and also, too, that he treats kittens nicely.

I stand by my statement that Miller is a top five goalie.  I am hoping Regier is not stupid and it sounds like for now, Miller and Vanek are staying put.  To even suggest Enroth is even close to Miller is nonsense.  Enroth is not nearly as good as Miller.  I watch this team all of the time.  Enroth does not have his skills

I would never expect you to say otherwise about Miller, until he signs with another team or is traded.

It's just that the facts don't tend to support your supposition.

We'll see how it plays out this season.