Miller to Colorado for Stastny?

Guest hf101

According to:

@JoshRimerHockey Been told not to NOT be surprised if the Avalanche deal Paul Stastny to Buffalo for Ryan Miller."

Makes sense, Miller needs a new team.  Both are FA.  Buffalo could use Stastny's offense.

a good trade for both teams, imo.

• Like 1

@hf101

I like the move and think that Colorado is shaping up well. It gives both teams exactly what they need and for this year alone it is a pretty similar salary swap. 

I think if Miller gets a change of scenery he could be dangerous.  However, as Flyers fan, the thought of seeing Stastny a few times a year is far more discouraging than Miller at this point in his career. 

I don't know... I believe Buffalo desperately needs Stastny but I think the Avalanche goaltending is fine. Varlamov and Giggy are fine but the defense is positively wretched, the Avalanche goalies could sue the blue line for non support. Maybe Stastny for Tyler Myers insead?

Didn't the Sabres just trade away Paul Statsny? No, wait, that was Jason Pominville.

Sabres have to get something for Miller if they don't intend to re-sign him (and Vanek, for that matter). Statsny would be a nice addition - especially if they can re-sign him.

That said, I wouldn't trust Darcy Regier to choose the right donut, much less rebuild the Sabres.

@radoran  I think the whole scenario makes sense for the Sabres, but the Aves...not so much. I don't see how Miller would be a huge upgrade over Varly...

The only question for both teams is their intent and ability to re-sign the players in question.

Could easily be that the Avs don't think they can re-sign Statsny and that the Sabres won't re-sign Miller.

This makes sense in some ways. In others it makes none. Didn't the Avs give up a 1st for Varlamov 2 years ago and they give up on him already? Better D in Colorado could fix everything. If the Sabres are really kicking the tires on this then they must be having contract issues with Hodgson, another growing concern as camp is right around the corner.

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by hf101, August 30, 2013 - duplicate
Hidden by hf101, August 30, 2013 - duplicate

This makes sense in some ways. In others it makes none. Didn't the Avs give up a 1st for Varlamov 2 years ago and they give up on him already? Better D in Colorado could fix everything. If the Sabres are really kicking the tires on this then they must be having contract issues with Hodgson, another growing concern as camp is right around the corner.

@Pegulaville26  From a Sabres perspective, having Stasney on the top line and having Hodgeson to build the second line around would be the perfect scenario. Cody is a talented kid, but playing him on the top line, it's a little early for that. I understand the lack of depth at the position necessitated the move, but  the best thing for this development would be to ease him into the second line slot. It's kinda like the Senators and slotting Kyle Turris in the #1 center position, not the best thing for the prospect, but depth made the call. I don't think it will end up hurting Cody or Kyle, just rushing them into the spot they would have eventually snuck into anyways.

@radoran   Ahhh, the old get something rather than nothing scenario?  Seems a tad early for that line of thinking, but I know where you are coming from.

Could very well be early. It hasn't happened yet :)

Lotsa Sabres folks are surprised that Miller was still there after the draft.

@radoran  I also figured they would have pulled the trigger at the draft. Would have been the perfect time to get the best package they could have gotten, especially when figuring in the high end talent in the mid to lower 1st round. I don't think Miller currently has more market value than the younger Cory Schneider, so the Sabres would have had to settle for a mid to high 1st rounder for Miller, so maybe they just factored all this in and thought an experienced, established NHL player would be the best thing for the team.

This one makes sense and it doesn't...I'm not sure why the Avs want 3 goalies...Varly, Giguere and Miller.  Although, maybe there's a separate deal to move one, or one is going to Buffalo in the deal.  But I agree with the get something before you lose them mentality.  I'm just used to hearing that in January, not August.

This one makes sense and it doesn't...I'm not sure why the Avs want 3 goalies...Varly, Giguere and Miller.  Although, maybe there's a separate deal to move one, or one is going to Buffalo in the deal.  But I agree with the get something before you lose them mentality.  I'm just used to hearing that in January, not August.

It definitely makes a lot less sense with the Avs unless there's something more than a straight up Miller-for-Statsny.

Hodgson is still not signed, for example: Miller, Hodgson's rights for Statsny, Giguere and a pick?

Here is my trade proposal involving Stasney.

To the Leafs Stasney

To the Ave's Cody Franson and a 2nd round pick

The Leafs pull a sign and trade (still allowed to be 10% over the cap this time of year) with Cody and ship him off to the Lanche. This would give the Leafs a legit #1 center (well, at least on their center starved team) to feed Kessel with. From a Leafs perspective Morgan Riely or Jake Garndier would be moved forward to fill the gap that was left by Franson.

Cody would be great insurance for the Ave's in case some of their highly regarded offensive blue liners fail to develop...ie Tyson Barrie. The Ave's love the big bulky physical d-men, so it would be a perfect fit....they could also use Cody's cannon from the point, cause Johnson ain't getting it done.

There are 19 active goalies with a better career save percentage than Miller, and 14 with a better career GAA.  Statistically speaking,  half the league is better than him. 

I'm not a Miller hater, per se.  But when I think of top flight goalies, Miller's name never enters the conversation, and the numbers prove he's middle of the pack, not top tier.  

@Bertmega  Miller is not even the best goalie on Buffalo. Enroth's stats are basically identical from last year.....yeah, you can bring up the back up factor, he got to cherry pick some easy games due to being the back up....but I look at the other side of the coin also, how good would Enroth be if he was allowed to get in the groove as a starter?  I think the best goalie on the Sabres just pure skill wise is Hackett, he will be the starter eventually and put up some spectacular numbers.

The Stasney move would make perfect sense for the Sabres. It would immediately take a LOT of the heat off Cody Hodgson, who might indeed be a number 1 center in the this league, but allowing him to fit into the 2nd center slot and still play top 6 minutes would be perfect for his development.

The stats from the short season don't lie, obviously a small sample from Enroth, but I really believe he's one of those guys who plays better when given consecutive starts. When Miller has been hurt, Enroth has played like a champ...

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/stats.htm?gameType=2&season=20122013&srt=gname

• Like 1

@Hockey Junkie  If Miller is so great, why did Enroth have better stats with the exact same defense? I realize he got some easy starts being the back up, but Miller should *still* have better stats, being a starter, no?

Why do you think that facts and statistics will have any impact or bearing on HJ's opinion of Miller?

Dont make me laugh trying to even suggest Enroth is close to Miller as a goalie.  Miller has had a far more grueling task and far less rest.  Miller had no help from an injury plagued and broken down defense.  He still played better than the parade of goalies you guys had as I could not keep track of who was in the nets for you from night to night.  He is the best goalie in the NHL.  Period

Well, @jammer2, you do have to concede that the Sabres were .04 better in GAA last season. He's got you there, 2.83 to 2.87

21st and 22nd in the League - WINNING!

Of course, Ilya Bryzgalov (who played 40 of 48 games for a team that HJ couldn't figure out who was in goal for) is a joke of a goalie who couldn't stop a beach ball and will get $1.4M a year for the next 14 years to not play for Philadelphia - he posted a 2.79

Miller? 2.81

Best goalie in the league.

Why do I think this will have any impact on HJ?

Oh, don't worry. I don't.