5 Leafs prospects to watch at rookie camp

Guest jammer2

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/09/04/five-players-to-watch-at-leafs-rookie-camp

Looking forward to finally seeing Swedish Petter Granberg. Scouts rave about about the big D-man's all round skills and how he plays a North American game. This is the 40th anniversary of Borje Salming becoming a Leaf and breaking into the NHL, so maybe that gives Petter a little bit of a historical edge or something....lol.

Scouts are also comparing this Leivo kid favorably to Lupul, he put on 20 pounds like they asked him to, guess the Leafs envision him as a future NHL power forward.

Like the article says, Morgan Riley may become a victim of the salary cap and the fact that 2 current d-men play the same type of game as Morgan, namely Jake Gardiner and John Michael-Liles.....so his skill set is a tad redundant on the Leafs roster. He will have to really stand out to have a shot at making the Leafs. He certainly has the skating to help his cause, very smooth and efficient skater.

I'll copy and paste my thoughts on Christopher Gibson from the other Leaf thread....

Talk about pressure!!  Young Toronto Maple Leaf goalie prospect Christopher Gibson has to make the Baby Leafs or get sent back to Finland to finish his mandatory army stint. All young men must serve at least 180 days in the military, before moving on into the working world, they do make however, make exceptions for youngsters playing pro hockey. He is attempting to out-duel Garret Sparks for the back up AHL job the Leafs have open. With the Syria situation worsening, I'm thinking the army in any European country is a little unsettling right now. He should be more than motivated. His life may depend on this goaltending skills, as odd as that sounds. Christopher is not to be confused with the Ducks young goalie stud John Gibson, who just may be the best young goalie out there, but effectively blocked by Jonas Hiller and rising star Victor Fasth.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/09/04/leafs-goalie-gets-army-pass-to-audition-for-farm-team/

Story on Morgan Riley, whose goal is to leapfrog many seasoned NHL vets into a spot on the Leafs opening day roster. He has the raw skill to pull it off, and I really wonder if he is best served by going back to the WHL. He's one of those tweeners, to young for the AHL, but seems to have outgrown his Jr. team. I say the odds are about 10% he can pull off making the Leafs. Destined to get some more seasoning in the WHL.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/09/05/rielly-focused-on-making-leafs/