Contract questions

Guest lvphantoms

I don't fully understand NHL contracts and the rules that relate to them, so I was wondering if anyone could clear things up for me. I understand that a team can have 23 players on the active roster and only 20 dressed each game. Right now the Flyers have 25 players on the active roster according to capgeek.

So if the Flyers don't sign anyone else, who gets removed from the active roster and do their salaries count against the cap (Gervais, Bourdon)? And does a player on the LTIR count as one of the 23 players?

I ask because if the Flyers put Pronger on LTIR, and if they remove a couple contracts to get to 23, there will be pretty much cap space freed up (enough that we could probably sign Gagne, Gill, and still have cap left). Of course, we'd have to wait until after day 1 of the season to sign them, and I've never really heard of any team doing that.

Thanks for any information.

Welcome!

So if the Flyers don't sign anyone else, who gets removed from the active roster and do their salaries count against the cap (Gervais, Bourdon)? And does a player on the LTIR count as one of the 23 players?

I ask because if the Flyers put Pronger on LTIR, and if they remove a couple contracts to get to 23, there will be pretty much cap space freed up (enough that we could probably sign Gagne, Gill, and still have cap left). Of course, we'd have to wait until after day 1 of the season to sign them, and I've never really heard of any team doing that.

Yes,  that is what I think will happen, not sure though about the Flyers signing Gill, I think he is there mostly as an extra body during the pre-season.   Possibly one of the reasons why it really hasn't been done is other teams are not up against the cap and have a player like Pronger who will not play another game in the NHL on their roster.

@lvphantoms  As far as I understand it, the Flyers have to be cap compliant on day one of the coming season, in order to get the full amount of the LTIR money for Pronger. Thus, I think they have a nudge, nudge, wink deal with Gagne in place to sign after the season officially starts.