Canucks Throttled by Sharks- A Sign of Things to Come?

Guest goalnut3133

I half-watched the game tonite, it was too embarrassing...so much that I almost didn't post this. 5-0 for Sharks. We barely got any decent shots on Niemi & it wasn't even cuz we had the lineups of Sat nite's game vs the Oilers where none of our star players were dressed, & where our rooks were given a chance to play. Tonite we DID have the Sedins, Kes, Burrows, Hansen & our usual D's Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev on and nary a good shot on goal, neither was there much quality in the way of our defense...poor Lack had to struggle at times all on his own...and struggle he did. He was tested tonite against the big players of the Sharks- Thornton, Pavelski, Couture, et al & unfortunately failed. Heck, even THEIR rook Tomas Hertl scored not once but TWICE against us, possibly on his way to securing a roster spot with the Sharks. Wish I could say the same with some of our rookies, although I've been impressed with some of Brendan Gaunce's play, which I was hoping for this year. 

Sigh, what a terrible start for us...first Kassian & Weise's dirty plays resulting in suspensions (is there a 'contagion' going around the league?), now this brutal, head-handed-to-us-on-a-platter game. Torts said it was a test for us on a back-to-back game which could be a reason for our horrible play, but guys, we're gonna have several back-to-backs this winter, & which involve flights west to east...how on earth are we gonna fare then??

If this is a sign of things to come, we are in deep, deep, doo-doo....

@goalnut3133

Maybe, but most teams struggle some with a new coach's system.  The Sharks on the other hand didn't really make any significant changes during the offseason. I'd be more concerned if they were the team that was struggling.

I'd wait for the first 10 -15 games before getting too concerned.

@hf101 Yah, could be jumping the gun a bit but just hard when we've lost the last 9 matches with the Sharks! Will sure be interesting to see what happens tomorrow with the Rangers! Lu will probably play but I sure hope Lack is gonna be able to bounce back from that disastrous game...if not, we're screwed for a back-up G.

@Habsterix  Ha, yah we beat the 'Yotes 6-1...but I wouldn't really put them on the same level as the Sharks (sorry 'Yotes guys!). Right now, the Sharks may as well be the Blackhawks to us, they are just too good. I understand about the growing pains with the new coach & system, but with the new Divisions this year, we don't have much breathing space for many bad games.

Last nite, I finally watched our first game against the Sharks that I PVR'd while on vacation. & the analysts (TSN or Sportsnet, can't remember) were saying some interesting things. that with the new Divisions, the 'Nucks can't afford ANY slumps this year (the 'Nucks, NO slumps? Are we kidding?) cuz the race to the playoff spots will be so tight. Their words were along the lines of, "Are they better than the Kings? No. Are they better than the Sharks? No. So the top 2 spots will likely be taken by them already. So they can't afford any slumps at all, there is no time." 

Granted, I know it's still early, but they make some good points. It's not going to be so easy for us this year to make the playoffs as in the past with the new rules. On top of that, they've got some fairly big adjustments to make under Torts. With more blocked shots for instance, Luongo who is used to playing a certain way with the D's, will now have to adjust his game accordingly. 

I'm really anxious to see how the game goes tonite with the Rangers!