Game 1 Wings 2 Sabres 1

yave1964

Thoughts on the game

If you get a chance to watch one highlight tonight watch the goal by Pavel. Everyone was holding still watching him he is just so special.

GIRGENSONS!!! Congrats to Blocker's young boy, Howard gave him a gift but he knew what to do with it and flat out buried it! Flynn and he seem to have a very good connection, Flynn is a bit old to be considered a prospect but showed a willingness to do the dirty work, hope they keep them together

Emmerton said he was embarrassed of all the talk of sending him down and putting him on waivers, played a great game. An assist on Sammy's goal, a penalty shot, penalty killing, he seems like a different player. Only one game but I liked what I saw

Killed two 5 on 3's against the Sabres, or rather the Sabres offense was offensive. No cohesion, the Wings were in the box much more than usual, and the Sabres squandered it. Tyler Myers is not the second coming of Shea Weber, he looked horrible. Christian Erhoff was the best Sabre on the ice tonight.

Alfie was solid. Weiss set up some nice chances. I was bummed that Tatar was not in the lineup.

Both goalies were solid, Miller had to face more difficult shots, but both did a good job.

Overall, the Wings got an early lead and coasted like they are known to do and allowed a third period goal to make it interesting, really we had a goal waved off on a questionable goaltender interference call on Cleary and Emmerton's penalty shot which was blocked. The game was not as close as the final score appeared.

Oh and lastly, there was a rumor that Ville Leino played tonight but it is only a rumor. I do not recall him even coming within ten feet of the puck. Really.

Obviously the amount of penalties is an issue, but a fair bit of those calls were questionable.  Still that's uber-confidence in the PK not letting a goal in.  Buffalo never even got any decent chances or setup at all in the zone.  Overall, outstanding play from the Red Wings.  All the lines looked real good last night.  They meshed well.  The sat back on their heals a bit in the third, and Buffalo was able to get a bit of momentum.  

Solid effort and a win to show for it.  Boston next...... 

Obviously the amount of penalties is an issue, but a fair bit of those calls were questionable.  Still that's uber-confidence in the PK not letting a goal in.  Buffalo never even got any decent chances or setup at all in the zone.  Overall, outstanding play from the Red Wings.  All the lines looked real good last night.  They meshed well.  The sat back on their heals a bit in the third, and Buffalo was able to get a bit of momentum.  

Solid effort and a win to show for it.  Boston next...... 

I thought that tripping call on Zetterberg where Stafford grabbed him to get in front of him and then stepped on his stick was hilarious. And horrible. I can kind of see where the ref might've mistaken that for a trip but on the reply that was clearly not a trip IMO.

@Commander Clueless

No not at all.  Plus the interference call on Cleary (upon replay) turned out to be bupkis as well.  Although I do understand why they called it.  I suppose it's a new season and everyone needs time to break into the game again.  The players, the refs...even Doc Emrick got a couple names wrong!