Jets @ Flyers: 11/29/13

Rink Rat

Article by: NHL.Com

JETS (12-11-4) at FLYERS (10-12-2)

TV: TSN-JETS, CSN-PH

Last 10: Winnipeg 6-2-2; Philadelphia 6-3-1

Season series: This is the second of two games between the Winnipeg Jets and Philadelphia Flyers. The Jets won 3-2 in a shootout at MTS Centre on Nov. 15.

Big story: Philadelphia will look to stay out of the penalty box against Winnipeg. The Jets were 2-for-4 on the power play in their win against the Flyers two weeks ago. The Flyers led 2-1 when Philadelphia forward Steve Downie was called for a hooking penalty with less than six minutes left in the third period. Dustin Byfuglien tied the game on the ensuing power play and the Jets won the tiebreaker.

Downie took the blame for the loss, which ended a three-game winning streak.

"You got to play smart," Downie told CSN Philly. "We had the chance, we had the opportunity. I took a bad penalty."

Team Scope:

Jets: Winnipeg held on for a 3-2 road win against the New York Islanders on Wednesday. It was the Jets' second straight win to start their six-game road trip; they earned a 3-1 victory against the New Jersey Devils on Monday.

Winnipeg led 3-0 late into the second period. Goals by Andrew MacDonald late in the second and John Tavares with just less than six minutes to play made things closer than Winnipeg coach Claude Noel would have liked.

"I think the good thing is we're finding a way to win the game," Noel said. "Is it the ideal way to close out games? I'd have to say no, it wouldn't be. That's all part of game management. To me, that's an area where we've battled at trying to get better at that, but that's something we still have to obviously work on, because I don't like the way that we're doing it. But, I'm happy that we get the win."

Flyers: Philadelphia made things interesting at the end against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Wednesday night but still went home with a 4-2 loss.

It was the Flyers' second straight regulation defeat after a streak of seven games in which they earned at least one point (6-0-1). Philadelphia got goals 40 seconds apart from Vincent Lecavalier and Mark Streit late in the third period to pull within 3-2, but Tampa Bay forward Tyler Johnson sealed it with an empty-netter 39 seconds after Streit's goal.

Coach Craig Berube expects a better effort against Winnipeg.

"We didn't compete hard enough in the battles right from the start," he told CSN Philly. "Not the same [as Monday against the Florida Panthers]. Monday, we were fine and turned the puck over. Tonight, they came hard with pressure and forechecked hard.

"We didn't handle it. We didn't compete on the walls and battle the puck out and do all the little things that needed to be done. … You gotta handle adversity better than we do right now. Teams are gonna come hard at us, play us hard. Gotta be able to handle that and play composed."

Who's hot: Winnipeg forward Devin Setoguchi has goals in two straight games. … Lecavalier, who played his first game in Tampa on Wednesday since the Lightning bought out the final seven years of his contract in June, scored against his former team. He has four points (two goals) his past five games.

Injury report: Jets defensemen Zach Bogosian (groin) and Paul Postma (blood clot) and forward Jim Slater (sports hernia) are on injured reserve. … Flyers forward Matt Read (lower body) was a late scratch for the game at Tampa Bay. He is listed as day-to-day. Defenseman Marc-Andre Bourdon (concussion) has not yet played this season.

Edited by Rink Rat

@Rink Rat  Best of luck tomorrow, just not to much  :) 

Should be a feisty game. Geez you would figure Evander Kane will score one of these games, I believe his goal-less streak is at 12 or 13, which means he will get a hatty against the Flyers. Flyers have to do a better job at crowding Big Buff at the blueline, don't let him let him take that deadly slapper, get a guy with speed on him to either block the shot or make him pass. He got off way to many shots in our last meeting with the Jets! 

• Like 1

@jammer2

You have analyzed the game really well. Kane is definitely on big goalless streak and should break out soon. The guy on the Flyers that scares me is Vinnie LeCavalier. I think he is such a crafty player and will be hard handle by our Defense. I just hope he doesn't go too off in this game. Good luck as well to the Fleyers, but just not too much luck. :)

@Rink Rat

I know the feeling.  On workdays, I have to get up early to catch the bus and get to work at 7AM (I don't drive), so most of the time, I can only watch some of the game and DVR the rest, then try to watch the rest as I am getting ready for work and having breakfast.  If I can't get the rest of the game on before I leave for work, I have to make sure my coworkers don't spoil it for me.  :lol: