The Hero of the Leaf

It seems the Leafs have found their new scapego...err saviour. Brendan Shanaban. Han. Shanahan.

The new boss, whom Dave "Deer in the Headlights" Nonis affectionately refers to as "Shanny" (obviously there is no respect in this organization) will supposedly have full control of the team's direction, according to Tim Leiweke. Mr. Leiweke also stated that the Leafs do not have the right team <insert buzzword here> to win.

In all seriousness, it is nice to hear these things coming from the Leafs brass. I was expecting to hear the traditional "well we have a good team, but bounces and injuries and blabbity blah blah" speech that Leaf fans just translate as "Next year, baby!".

I've always liked Shanahan, and I think he's a "character" guy. I don't know if he has the credentials or the know how to be the guy Leiweke is looking to run the team and change the "culture", but I do like the idea of a change to the team's direction. I'm not sure what changes will happen as they claim to need time to assess the team and come up with a strategy (which is fair), but I'm hoping that if and when Shanahan makes this team his, his team is a winning one.  What do you guys think?

Help us Obi-Shan Ananahan, you're our only hope.....

Edited by Commander Clueless

I love Shanny, he was always a favorite of mine as a player. I remember one year in a meaningless game against the Blues we were losing with about ten seconds to go and Osgood pulled, Shanny dove and blocked a shot by a Blues player WITH HIS FACE. It made no difference to the game, but you can bet the younger players took notice. Shanny wound up with a dozen stitches and the Wings wound up with a bunch of young players that learned that you better damn well give all you have when on his team.

As far as character you might want to check that one with Craig Janney......

Seriously though a great hockey mind who expects 100 percent 60 minutes a night. The Leafs should be better just by having him in the organization.

@yave1964 I hope the Leafs actually do give him the control he wants, and that he can take the reigns and make this his team. I was hoping this was the strategy they would take when they were talking about Scotty Bowman years ago.

Tim Leiweke seems adamant on Shanahan running the team, so here's hoping.