Candidates for Canucks GM

hf101

Darin Hayes wrote an article for The Hockey Writers highlighting several candidates the Canucks have interested in.

1.  Paul Fenton Assistant GM of the Predators known for his ability to draft well including players such as Seth Jones, Roman Josi, Anders Lindback, Colin Wilson, Craig Smith, Gabriel Bourque, Cody Franson, Patric Hornquvist, Ryan Suter, Shea Weber, and Kevin Klien.

2. Former Canuck Jim Benning also known for his evaluation of talent when with Buffalo aided in drafting Ryan Miller, Max Afinogenov, Paul Gaustad, Jason Pominville, Andrej Sekera, Derek Roy, Jan Hejda, Dennis Wideman, Henrik Tallinder, Clarke MacArthur, Brian Campbell and Ales Kotalik. 

3. Flyers Assistant GM Ron Hextall who can evaluate a scouting team and evalutate talent beyond the first round including Jeff Zatkoff, Wayne Simmonds, Oscar Moller, Slava Voynov, Andrei Loktionov, Jordan Nolan and Valentin Zykov.  Hextal is familiar with the Western Conference and is said to have family near Vancouver.  

Here's hoping the new GM is either Fenton or Benning for I assumed Hextall was brought into the Flyers organization to replace Holmgren at some point.

first of all i hope the new g.m. doesn't have to agree to keep torterella, that would not be a good beginning for any g.m., as he should

make that decision for himself, and with trevor linden's approval as well.

here on the coast jim benning's name is the one being tossed around as the front runner, and of course he can't be interviewed

till boston is done for t he year.

hextall is also being mentioned.

i want someone with the new look hockey brain, and not the old school eg. pat quinn type, they were all fine in their day, but for

example when pat quinn coached about 3-4 years ago in edmonton, he was a total failure, putting down the players on tv interview/

radio, and making those old fashioned comments about players that just don't fit todays young athlete, or even the game itself.

does anyone have an opinion as to 'why' pierre mcguire is never hired when he shows up for interviews.  he has so much

information in that brain of his, but there is something stopping teams from hiring him for a g.m.

is it his personaltiy, a bit overbearing maybe?

i wonder what very good coaches will be out there for the new g.m. to hire.

Edited by talloola

Pierre McGuire would be my choice. I'm anticipating some juicy interviews where Pierre stands right on top of every reporter that asks him a question, talking about monsters and all sorts of awkward things about gripping sticks too tight.

Even if you aren't looking for comedy (who wouldn't, really?), Pierre actually does seem like a guy who could bring a lot of enthusiasm to a team. Canucks need some enthusiasm after the sombre Mr. Gillis.

Here's hoping the new GM is either Fenton or Benning for I assumed Hextall was brought into the Flyers organization to replace Holmgren at some point.

Interesting point re: Hextall. He was in the back seat Lombardi as well. I will have to think about this. I don't think Hextall left the Kings necessarily for a GM post. He truthfully probably could have gotten one. I think he is one of the boys, that for whatever reason, the culture of the Flyers drew him back (for ill or good again).