The Monster shuts out his former team

yave1964

Jonas Gustafsson was the reason the Wings made the playoffs last year having a brilliant run while Jimmy Howard was out with assorted groin injuries. He started off nicely last night having a wonderful game shutting out the Leafs 1-0 as the Wings swept the home and home. A few thoughts on the game.

The Monster and Bernier showed two different styles, Gustafsson playing the European style, complete with poor rebound control while Bernier looked like the epitome of a Canadian goalie, sound, solid play. Both were brilliant.

Ericsson and Phaneuf went at it in the first settling the score for the night before. After that Phaneuf was absolutely tough as nails firing the puck on net, pushing in, looking for a rebound, playing a hell of a game. On the other side Kronwall was the same, sometimes appearing to be a 4th forward and outhustling the other team back into the defensive zone.

In the third the Leafs drew a penalty for too many men on the ice and Kessel served it. That sums it up, most teams best player play in all situations but Kessel does not play on the PK. 5 on 5 and PP he did play over 24 minutes with 4 shots. Of course he was on the ice for the overtime goal against.

Tomas Tatar played a great game for the Wings, diving the net, unlike my early quibble from the first few games he seems to be playing like last year going north/south and attacking the net.

Polak had a heck of a game, hitting everything that moved and moving bodies out of in front of the net unlike the night before when he was the worst player on the ice. Komarov led both teams in hits and in PK time with almost six minutes on the night and was solid in the faeoff dot. I am envious of the Leafs, he could play for the Wings anytime.

In the series Zetterberg was the best player on the ice nearly every shift, he either scored or assisted on every Wings goal including last nights overtime winner.

@yave1964

Do you think Gustafsson is making a case to be the #1 netminder in Detroit?

Howard needs to have a solid year for the Wings to win, Gus is a great backup, among the best in the game. I would hate to see him stretched too thin.

As a mater of fact, Mrazak in Grand Rapids is a top tier goalie prospect. if Howard moves on I would prefer him to leapfrog Gustafsson with Gus as a veteran backup. I love us, but he fits his role perfectly.

Archived