Buffalo handling the Sharks

Zz_

The Buffalo Sabers are the worst team in the NHL right now despite teams like Carolina, Columbus and Edmonton being right nearby. Last season Buffalo finished as the worst team in the NHL and then lost their #1 pick to the Lotto and had to settle for #2. Picking up Sam Reinhart, who they sent back to juniors for development reasons. Other than their consistent losing, there is one other thing that seems to stay pretty darn consistent and that is their dominate play over the San Jose Sharks.

The Sharks are a team that nearly every season are right at the top in the standings. It has been 10 seasons (not including the lockout) since San Jose last missed the playoffs. In those 10 seasons, they have finished worse than second in their division only once. Yet there seems to be a thorn in their side they cannot pull out, the Buffalo Sabers.

In 33 recorded games since October 25th 1991 the Sabers have gotten the best of San Jose with a 22-6-1-4 record (W-L-OTL-T.) It was the 5th career meeting between the two before the Sharks pulled off their first win on November 5th 1992, they won 7-5. Between that first loss and their last game before the lockout (December 2nd, 2005) the two teams were pretty back and forth, Buffalo going 8-4-1-4. After the lockout though, Buffalo has turned up the heat on San Jose. With two shootout wins, Buffalo has lost to San Jose one time since 2005, the Sabers hold a record of 10-1-0 since that December 2n, 2005 game. This includes their latest win against San Jose on November 18th 2014.

It could be the long travel that comes into play when you break down locational records. In San Jose, the two clubs are nearly split, Buffalo is 6-5-1-4. While in Buffalo, the Sabers are a dominating 16-1-0! I would say the Sharks need to stay away from the Buffalo, NY water. At home, the Sabers average about 4.4 goals a game against San Jose, while allowing 2.7. At SAP Center at San Jose, known as HP Pavilion arena, Buffalo and San Jose are nearly identical with 3.4 and 3.1 goals per game respectively.

I just thought this was an interesting stat for two teams that are normally on such opposite ends of the NHL. San Jose though has have a very unfair schedule this 2014-15 season so far with 16 of 21 on the road. However, that plays into their favor moving into the playoff push time frame. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A comment from a fellow member of hockeyforums inspired this article by mentioning the last 6 games between the two teams. Thank you

post-1425-0-53261100-1416366671_thumb.jp

Does not explain why the Sabres have owned them in their rink including some very lopsided wins.  8 in  a row now in this series.  i really thought the Sharks would end the streak last night. And the Sabres lost their starting goalie to injury.  Neuvirth.  Well, maybe that will ensure this winning streak stops at 2.  I hope. Because Carolina is too close for comfort.  What is  Nolan trying to do?   Tank for God sake!!!!  TANK

I would not say any NHL team wants to "tank" regardless of the prospect. These days there is no 100% certainty the last place team will obtain the #1 overall pick. 

Archived