King Cam

yave1964

mVC9vVDUN73Td0KldCi7IsA.jpg The King is dead. Long live the King.

When the Rangers announced that Henrik Lundqvist was going to be out for an extended period of time they were sitting in third place in their division and only 8 points up on a playoff spot. Talbot, who had been a career AHLer before last year when he stepped in as the Rangers understudy to Lundqvist when Marty Biron absolutely hit the wall early in the year and they had nobody else. He sparkled as a backup last season but nobody could have expected this.They now sit atop the entire NHL tied for the league lead in points with games at hand.

After defeating first the Islanders and then the Capitals in back to back games, Talbot is the hottest goalie in the game today, in his last 9 starts he is 7-1-1 with a 1.55 goals against and a sick .950 save pct. Lundqvist still has no timetable to return although he is now facing shots in practice from the coaching staff and rumor is he may start facing real shots from real players in practice the first of the week. The Rangers Alain vignauilt marvels at the calm demeanor of Talbot in net.

"I'm not as calm as you think out there," Talbot said. "I just try to stay focused,  I just try to stay calm, stay focused and just stay patient."

Talbot likely goes to the bench when Lundqvist returns before the postseason but already rumblings have been heard that Talbot may start some postseason games, especially if the Rangers draw a team such as the Capitals or Isles whom Talbot has shown success against. Whatever the outcome, Lundqvist has something he has never had before going into the postseason, a short leash.

Archived