Deja vu! Do you change the lineup for Game 3?

SpikeDDS

Mrazek wasn't great, but--dismissing the 5th TB goal because I had already turned the game off--Mrazek had only 1 questionable goal of the first 4. Maybe 2 if you count the juicy rebound to Johnson--who was unmarked in the slot. Do you put Howard back in? (Howard was probably in for the last goal. I did not see how well he played.)

Second, Marchenko. Promising player, but he and DDK were -2. I think ya gotta put Smith back in. We have NO chance of beating the Bolts when they score 5. Gotta cut our losses here.

I don't know who I'd put in net. Maybe Howard at this point. But for me, Smith is a no-brainier if we want a chance to win this series.

And PLEASE, let Abby's hand be good enough for,him to play. We need a big body in front of their net. What else is new? (I would mention my blog to Mr. Holland from 2 years ago pleading for him to bring in a big-body forward to make us a more playoff-ready team, but that would be repeating myself or saying the same thing more than once. Let's just say Exhibit C and move on, shall we?)

Not that I was not expecting this kind of game for Game 2. I was, and I'm smelling a similar pattern as last season against Boston. History has a tendency to repeat itself. History has a tendency to repeat itself.

That was almost like déjà vu! Just like Games 1 and 2. What do we do to avoid déjà vu in Games 3-5?

@SpikeDDS

Howard gave up the 5th goal. He looked rusty.

Abby, YES we need him back.Badly.

I would still go with the kid in net, but Marchenko would hit the pines and Pulkinnen would work his way in among the forwards.

Ferraro, Jurco to the pines along with Marchenko who would be replaced by Smith. Smith and Abbby providing hitting, Abby and Pulkinnen providing offense. That is the lineup that gives us the best chance to win.

I agree, this was kind of expected, I never said sweep, I went Wings in seven, Tampa was an elite home team this year, we have home ice advantage now and need to keep it going forward.

It was a fun game to watch. The Lightning's pace of play is just nuts.

I don't know if I'd change the roster from Detroit's perspective (unless, as you say, Abdelkader is ready), but I would consider playing one of Datsyuk/Zetterberg with Nyquist and Tatar full time (looked like the two big guns were playing together a lot). Those guys need to get going if Detroit wants to win this IMO.

I'd keep Mrazek in net. I didn't think he was bad last game, and he was phenomenal in the first. 

Tampa's speed is difficult to neutralize. 

I know it's a little weird from a Leafs fan, but I've always liked Detroit. I hope they win the East.

I think I'll be cheering for whoever wins this series to win the East, actually.

It was a fun game to watch. The Lightning's pace of play is just nuts.

I don't know if I'd change the roster from Detroit's perspective (unless, as you say, Abdelkader is ready), but I would consider playing one of Datsyuk/Zetterberg with Nyquist and Tatar full time (looked like the two big guns were playing together a lot). Those guys need to get going if Detroit wants to win this IMO.

I'd keep Mrazek in net. I didn't think he was bad last game, and he was phenomenal in the first. 

Tampa's speed is difficult to neutralize. 

I know it's a little weird from a Leafs fan, but I've always liked Detroit. I hope they win the East.

I think I'll be cheering for whoever wins this series to win the East, actually.

Agreed, whoever wins this series, that is who I will be rooting for going forward. I cannot stand Subban, no way am I rooting for the Habs. I never have been a fan of Price either.

@SpikeDDS@Commander Clueless

Posted it elsewhere, the Lightning led the league in scoring this year, have elite offensive skills, the only goalie in the league who shut them out all year is Mrazek who has now done it twice in the last month, once at the end of the regular season and again last night.

He was better in  game one with 44 saves, last night a couple of posts and a crossbar saved his bacon, he was very good but not great, but I will take it.

I think to a certain extent Mrazek is in their heads. I remember the Wings being heavily favored when we played the Ducks a decade ago and Giguere absolutely almost singlehandedly defeating us. We started pressing, shooting from bad angles, missing open shots and the more we pressed the worse it got. A hot goalie can do that to a team. Last night other than the Johnson line confidence seemed to be a problem for the Bolts. They have went down every game in shots, from 46 in the opener down to 22 last night.

Not saying this is over, not by a long shot, just saying Mrazek no matter how this winds up is the Wings goalie. Howard has to go, keep the monster as a veteran backup.

But back to this series.

I picked the Wings in 7 before the series, my mind is still not changed. Fun hockey, two different styles. Love it!

Another trip in the way back machine.

The Wings used to be the team with elite talent, the way that lesser teams would try to beat us was to wear us down with tough play, finishing checks, forechecking up and down the ice, contesting everything, every inch of the ice. Now it is reversed, the Bolts are the skilled team, immensely talented and the Wings are taking it to them using the same style as teams used against us. Kind of like in 2001 when the Kings upset us. That is what this series is reminding me of, the Wings that year dominated play and the Kings simply played opportunistically. The Wings were beaten in the corners and by game three the Kings were collapsing in front of our net and Osgood was shell shocked.

S we are the underdog contesting everything with the hot goalie, playing with house money. We have already made it more of a series than what many thought, if the Bolts win out they will have known we were there.

Sorry about rambling guys, still giddy over last nights game.

@yave1964 Brings up an interesting thought. The main reaction to a hot goalie is to put a lot on net, but then you also run the risk of missing opportunities if you're constantly taking low percentage shots, no?  ;)

Didn't catch most of this game, but from what I did see the Wings were playing a dominant form of shutdown hockey. Stifling the Lightning's offense strikes me as a very difficult thing to achieve, so well done from Detroit. Glendening in particular seemed to stick to Stamkos like glue.

Archived