Missed on Carl Hagelin

hagelin.jpg

Can we just take a minute and talk about missing out on Carl Hagelin? Here's the trade:

LW Carl Hagelin + 59th and 179th for LW Emerson Etem + 41st

Looking at this trade, couldn't we have acquired Hags? Granted we wouldn't have traded for 31st and drafted Roy. A trade for Hags to the Sharks would have looked like this:

LW Carl Hagelin + 59th and 179th + ?? for LW Matt Nieto + 39th

Could this not have happened? I know DW wants to stockpile young talent, which is the right thing to do. But we could have acquired a first/second line left wing, which would round out the top six and guarantee Hertl can play center on the third line. I think this is a better move to make than signing Joel Ward. Ward is solid third liner, and I'm happy to have him, but Hags is 27. Hags has lightning speed. Hags is a playmaker. Hags is a great PK guy.

Personally, I think I would have done the Hagelin trade, especially if I knew I was going to give up next year's 1st for Martin Jones.

Could we have pulled it off? Let's look at Etem and Nieto

Etem(23)- 111GP, 15G, 16A, 31Pts over 3 season with the Ducks

Nieto(22)- 138 GP, 20G. 31A, 51Pts over 2 season with the Sharks

I don't even think I need to make the argument that Nieto is a better player than Etem, and would be better for the Rangers.

I think this trade could have been made.

hagelin.jpg

Can we just take a minute and talk about missing out on Carl Hagelin? Here's the trade:

LW Carl Hagelin + 59th and 179th for LW Emerson Etem + 41st

Looking at this trade, couldn't we have acquired Hags? Granted we wouldn't have traded for 31st and drafted Roy. A trade for Hags to the Sharks would have looked like this:

LW Carl Hagelin + 59th and 179th + ?? for LW Matt Nieto + 39th

Could this not have happened? I know DW wants to stockpile young talent, which is the right thing to do. But we could have acquired a first/second line left wing, which would round out the top six and guarantee Hertl can play center on the third line. I think this is a better move to make than signing Joel Ward. Ward is solid third liner, and I'm happy to have him, but Hags is 27. Hags has lightning speed. Hags is a playmaker. Hags is a great PK guy.

Personally, I think I would have done the Hagelin trade, especially if I knew I was going to give up next year's 1st for Martin Jones.

Could we have pulled it off? Let's look at Etem and Nieto

Etem(23)- 111GP, 15G, 16A, 31Pts over 3 season with the Ducks

Nieto(22)- 138 GP, 20G. 31A, 51Pts over 2 season with the Sharks

I don't even think I need to make the argument that Nieto is a better player than Etem, and would be better for the Rangers.

I think this trade could have been made.

If you are looking long term, the sharks did the right thing. Nieto is the same type of player that you mentioned in Haeglin, fast, skilled, plays on the PK, and he is a playmaker. Why trade a 22yr old for a 27 yr ld when they are almost the same player? Nieto is a top player in the analytics department (if that has any value to you) so I would give it another two years to see how he pans out. I would rather keep him as he already has shown great qualities of a fast, skill guy in the NHL.

Jeremy Roy was a projected mid-first rounder and highly-touted amongst scouts. Our future looks better with a guy like him on the blueline. Jeremy Roy and Nieto for Hagelin is not a good deal for SJ.

If you are looking long term, the sharks did the right thing. Nieto is the same type of player that you mentioned in Haeglin, fast, skilled, plays on the PK, and he is a playmaker. Why trade a 22yr old for a 27 yr ld when they are almost the same player? Nieto is a top player in the analytics department (if that has any value to you) so I would give it another two years to see how he pans out. I would rather keep him as he already has shown great qualities of a fast, skill guy in the NHL.

Jeremy Roy was a projected mid-first rounder and highly-touted amongst scouts. Our future looks better with a guy like him on the blueline. Jeremy Roy and Nieto for Hagelin is not a good deal for SJ.

I agree with you that over the long term, keeping Nieto and drafting Roy was the best thing to do. But if you were looking at this season, trading Nieto for Hagelin is an upgrade. Neito is a fringe 2nd/3rd liner. Hagelin is a 2nd liner. Hagelin produces more offensively, with similar defensive skills.

Keep in mind, Nieto might turn into Hagelin. He is only 22.

I agree with you that over the long term, keeping Nieto and drafting Roy was the best thing to do. But if you were looking at this season, trading Nieto for Hagelin is an upgrade. Neito is a fringe 2nd/3rd liner. Hagelin is a 2nd liner. Hagelin produces more offensively, with similar defensive skills.

Keep in mind, Nieto might turn into Hagelin. He is only 22.

I think we are along the same line of thinking, I think Nieto will probably turn into a Hagelin or something close to it. Even then, is it that much of an upgrade? Nieto may be a little less skilled at this point but all around the same player right now: defensively sound, consistent PK guy, 5v5 stud, etc. He just seemed to have had his slump last year, here is to hoping he bounces back.

I think we are along the same line of thinking, I think Nieto will probably turn into a Hagelin or something close to it. Even then, is it that much of an upgrade? Nieto may be a little less skilled at this point but all around the same player right now: defensively sound, consistent PK guy, 5v5 stud, etc. He just seemed to have had his slump last year, here is to hoping he bounces back.

I dunno. Nieto's lack of finish depresses me. Had to be the most snakebitten guy on the roster last year. Constantly gets himself into great positions, holds the zone and rives possession and blows by guy with his higher level gear speed, but flubs at putting it in the net.

I am hoping he starts potting a few next season and that he was in fact, snakebitten.

But in truth, we have oodles of Nieto's in the system. If he becomes trade bait, I will not cry.

Archived