Steven Stamkos not worried about contract talks

mishey

With just over a week remaining before Lightning training camp opens, captain Steven Stamkos has still yet to sign a contract extension.

That's led to much media speculation, even a little panic from Tampa Bay fans. But as for Stamkos himself?

"I'm not really worried about anything to be honest," Stamkos said today in a telephone conversation with the local beat writers. "I didn't know what to expect coming in. It's been a new experience, it's not easy. But again, it really hasn't effected me in any way in preparing for the upcoming season."

Read more

I know some people will say things like "well, what else will he say?" but if people are going to believe the rumors (that are usually pulled out of thin air) then they may as well believe the guy they're about when he talks too. 

That's how I feel anyway. 

Stamkos is still Stamkos. He will still score a bunch of goals and lead the team. It is possible that he is traded, and that would be unfortunate for Tampa, but they already have a deep, talented team, and depending on who they pick up, they could be even deeper if they trade Stamkos. I really think he will end up staying in Tampa, but I would not be shocked if he was traded mid-season.

The real question is, who is going to try and trade for him? Toronto? Buffalo? Nashville?

Personally, I would want to go to Nashville where he can be THE guy offensively, and he can get paid. He would be out of the spotlight like he is in Tampa, and he would probably be able to play center if he wants.

Toronto is probably more likely to give Tampa a better return than Buffalo. Buffalo just went out and spent a ton to get Ryan O'Rielly, and I doubt they would go out and give up more young prospects. Toronto, on the other hand, is doing a good job bringing in free agents that they can ship out for picks and then stockpiling young talent and draft picks. But would he really want to play in such an intense market?

Like I said, I think he ends up staying in Tampa. How crazy would it be, though, if he was traded mid-season and then he ultimately signed with Tampa over the summer. He could bring one heck of a return.

The real question is, who is going to try and trade for him? Toronto? Buffalo? Nashville?

The real question to me is, what do you get for a star like Stamkos? Maybe a package deal with Edm for Nurse (ya, I know they need d-men real bad)...or maybe Exblad. Arron might be close to Stamkos in value/worth....but despite Stammers scoring, I'd still want Exblad over him. Exblad is the kind of d-man stud you need to win the Cup. I think Tampa has a good amount of offense, (especially if Drouin turns out to be the star I think he is)....but another stud d-man to go with Hedman would be very valuable in a long Cup run.

@jammer2

I agree that you would want to get something like Ekblad, but I don't think the Lightning would trade him a) to the Panthers and b) for just Ekblad. You would have to include lots more for one of the league's top 5 scorers.

Going back to the Edmonton example, I think if the Lightning got Nurse, a 2nd, and a NHL forward (Yakupov anyone?), they would be tempted to pull the trigger.

Last, while I agree Ekblad is going to be a great defenseman in this league for a long time, the Lightning have a VERY deep blue line. I'm not saying that the Lightning wouldn't welcome him, but a defense with Stralman, Hedman, Coburn, Garrison, and Sustr is pretty darn good. And don't forget they still have Matt Carle, too. I think the Lightning would look to get more prospects and picks for Stamkos, along with a good forward they can slot on the second or third like (Nazem Kadri, Will Nylander, and a good pick).

I know some people will say things like "well, what else will he say?" but if people are going to believe the rumors (that are usually pulled out of thin air) then they may as well believe the guy they're about when he talks too. 

That's how I feel anyway. 

c0956af0-5a1c-11e5-b01e-e7d30f7ff7a7_COu

• 3 weeks later...

Archived