7 Year Extension for Johnson

hf101

1384307468000-erik-johnson-001.jpg

The Colorado Avalanche have agreed to a seven-year contract extension with defenseman Erik Johnson and will carry an average annual value of $6 million. The new contract is intended to keep him in Colorado through 2022-23. Johnson's contract has a Modified NTC with a 10 team limit each year.

Johnson's career has had some injuries that have lessened his production on the ice in the last several years.

Is this contract a good deal for the Aves?

@hf101  Erik is not exactly an all round stud d-man. He is basically a offensive d-man who does not score a lot. Don't really know how that translates to 6 mill a year to be honest. He has been in the league for 6 years, had a bunch of injuries, had 39 pts as a rookie, and only just matched that total 2 years ago, last year he regressed to under 25 pts. If I was the Ave's, I would have wanted a 1 or 2 year extension, then revisit the long term deal....this gives you time to see if the injuries keep coming, just what his offensive upside is, if anything. That would have been the smart play, but I'm guessing his agent would and probably did balk at that idea. Seems like a little bit of a pricey deal IMHO.

I think this is a good signing. I also think Erik Johnson doesn't get enough credit. Yes, he is inconsistent from year to year as far as points go, and I wouldn't call him a shutdown defenseman, but every game he goes out and he plays hard. He's by far the best defenseman on a team that has had next to no talent on the back end the last few years. He plays some pretty big minutes, and on a terrible possession team, he doesn't look like the problem. Are there better defenseman out there? Yes, but Erik Johnson is a solid player you would love to have on your team. 

I think something closer to $5.00 mil would have been more appropriate, but they locked up a solid player for seven years.

And @jammer2, it helps to have good teammates to get points, which we all know he hasn't had. And you also have to keep in mind injuries, because last year he scored 23 points in 47 games. That would have been a new career high in points if he played all 82.

Archived