Thoughts on game 1 (defeated Toronto 4-0

yave1964

Watched last nights game. Twice. Soooooo glad hockey is back, here are some thoughts.

Dylan Larkin got by far the loudest applause of anyone last night during the intro, not even close. The Wings faithful are ready to turn a page and move forward and the reaction to the kid proves it.

Larkin then went out and had the best debut any 19 year old could ask for in front of his hometown team. Just an amazing performance, a goal and an assist and a burst of speed down the wing, he never played wing until last year in the calder finals for Grand Rapids, always center but he seems natural.

Abdelkader and Larkin, playing alongside birthday boy Zetterberg were a sight to behold, they accounted for all four of the games goals including a hat trick for Abby. Zetterberg is aging like fine wine, three assists and not looking his age.

Mike Green, I studied him most of the second half of the game because it was basically over, his legs never stop moving side to side, not just straight ahead, as if he is having a hard time standing or looking for an opening. He had two passes from behind his own net to center ice that bounced off the receivers sticks because they were too powerful and unexpected. I had no idea he was so strong. Gonna fit in nicely.

the second and third lines looked a bit out of sync, but unlike Babs in years past Blashill if his time in Grand Rapids is any indication does not tinker with lines much from game to game. He likes for players to get comfortable with each other and as time goes on, Tatar and specifically Nyquist who was non existent last night will get used to Richards.

Howard with a shutout. Other than one little burst where the Leafs were swarming late in the second he could have mailed it in. As easy of a shutout as you will get.

Harrington looked awful for the Leafs. Twice Phaneuf lollygagged back into his own zone as the puck wizzed behind him and going so slow negated icing.

Perspective from Wings fans is needed, retread Shawn Matthias and Marc aRcabello played regular shifts on the Leaf power play. But nonetheless if this is an indication of the Wings this year, and keep in mind that Helm and Dastuk, our two best defensive forwards as well as Dekeyser, our best shut down defender were all three out, this is going to be a fun team to watch. Get those three back in the mix and watch out. In years past when Datsyuk went out it was a matter of holding on for dear life and hoping you could maintain until his return. Not any more, now he is still a valuable piece but we have others.

Now on to Carolina tonight!

@yave1964

Wow! It's been YEARS since I was this excited about an opening game for the RWs. And they didn't disappoint.

I haven't re-watched the game all the way through, but the one thing you said that I might take issue with is how easy a shutout that was for Howard, particularly in the first two periods. There were two or three opportunities where a Leaf had the puck alone in front of Jimmy, and he stoned them! The rest of the game, all he had to do was play solid, and he did. This is a VERY good thing. The third period? OK, that was pretty easy.

What a game for The Kid, too. Both his points were beauties! That assist just shows you how fast his mind thinks, which it has to as fast as that boy skates. In the post-game interview, Larkin said he thought he saw Z out front, but actually it was Abby, and noted that he saw that his backhand looked open. What a quick, accurate dish that was.

Many years ago, I heard Steve Young, former QB of the San Francisco 49ers, say that the difference between a good quarterback and a great one was 18". Leading the receiver vs. hitting the receiver. Hitting the WR in a corner vs. either incomplete or chance for an interception. I have often thought the same thing is true of good hockey teams vs. average ones. Good hockey players vs. average ones. I remember watching the Red Wings play the Thrashers and it was never more evident that 18 inches made the difference than in those games. The Wings would pass tape to tape allowing a quick one-timer or a quick second pass before the D can recover. The Thrashers would have to corral the puck to get it to shooting/passing position, and by the time they did, the Wings were able to get over there to defend.

Dylan Larkin was hitting the target, and hitting it before the other team could properly react. He used his body to shield the puck well, fired a shot, was quick enough to get it back, passed it off to reset, and then the puck came right back to him for the quick dish. That was pretty special for his first point, and I hope it is indicative of what he will continue to do.

And then The Goal! I know Bernier probably should have come out a little bit, but goodness gracious that was a perfectly placed shot. If that's all the time Dylan Larkin needs to fire a shot that hard with that kind of accuracy top shelf, he is gonna be something else! I think that shot was BETTER than Eichel's.

I agree that Nyqvist and Tats looked out of sync. There were a few chances where if they had been more ready for the puck, they would have had better scoring chances...or even a scoring chance at all. This is in SHARP contrast to what Larkin was like. It really shows you just how good that kid thinks. I think Nike and Tats will be better. I think Tats had a better game the Nyqvist did. He did draw two penalties. At least he kept moving his feet. Nike, not so much. I agree, that line should get better. Seemed to me it had little to do with adjusting to Richards and more to do with being in sync with one another. Once they DO get in sync, watch out!

Phanneuf had a lousy game. He was slow. He was undisciplined. Poor showing for the Toronto captain.

I thought Kindl played a pretty good game. I think he had something to prove to Babcock. Guy played 20 minutes and was involved in the offense on several occasions.

It's early, but since he's made us actually ask the questions that we thought we might have to ask early, we should probably start thinking about this one: If Larkin continues to play this way, and continues to make Abby and Z better like they were last night, when Pav returns, do you move Larkin and put Pav back with Z? Or do you let Pav center a different line? As we've already said, I like the idea of Z playing the wing to keep him healthy. Makes you want to bring Pav back to center the top line. But then what to do with Larkin? Wing for the second line? Center it instead of Richards? I think if things stay the same, I almost like the idea of Larkin playing wing instead of Nke if he doesn't really get it going. I can only imagine what Tats could do if Larkin was feeding him and vice versa. MAN, DOES THIS GET INTERESTING!!

As I said before, barring further injury, Holland is going to have some maneuvering to do once Helm and Pav are ready to return. He's gonna have to move someone or lose that someone to waivers. His gears have already got to be turning.

I thought that Holland's comment that Larkin didn't make the team because of his preseason, but rather because of his last two years, which the preseason just validated. You can see that Holland has been thinking this through for a while--long before I started. I surmise he's already looking forward to when that difficult, but necessary decision will need to be made. Just hope we can find another team who will be willing to trade for Junco or Andersson before we have to waive one of them. Better to get something back than nothing.

Defensively, I thought it was a solid performance. Just over 20 shots allowed. Not too many good chances. Jimmy stopped the few that they did allow. But let's remember, this is Toronto. I'm wanting to see how we do defensively against better teams. If Kadri and Van Riemsdyk had instead been Crosby and Malkin or Kessel, they may have better capitalized on those better chances that Jimmy was able to stop, and it changes the game. Looking forward to a bigger test to see what we really have.

An excellent first game.

History notes: Didn't realize that Mike Sillinger was the last 19-year old to start a Wings opener. Thought that was Jiri Fischer. Also of historical note, they said that the last time a Red Wing scored on opening night in their NHL-debut game was 1945. Can't recall who they said the player was, though.

Archived