If I Were the New GM

ScottM

1297823483237_ORIGINAL.jpg?quality=80&si

I hope I'm proven wrong, but I'm already not a fan of the Sens' new GM Pierre Dorian. Melnyk's comments about Karlsson not being untouchable made sure there was no "warm and fuzzy" left from my perspective. Maybe that was just Melnyk spouting off, but it makes me wonder if Dorian might not already be looking at the possibility of a trade and Melnyk's comment was simply a way to break the news. I always look at the changes I'd make if I were calling the shots, but since I really don't like the looks of where things may be going right now, I thought I'd go into it a bit here. So, here's what I think I'd do (and not do) if I were sitting behind the desk in Ottawa's front office.

First, I would not have fired Dave Cameron. I do not believe he was the problem. I realize that it was the easy decision to make, but easy and right are not always the same. Another season like this one, and yes, I'd probably have to pull the trigger on the move, but I'm not going to throw a guy under the bus who coached the team to that incredible late season run last year because of one season in which the team did not address obvious needs and where some players underperformed. Cameron showed last season with Hoffman that he can get a guy's attention, so why not give him a chance to do that now?

Second, ERIK KARLSSON IS COMPLETELY OFF THE TABLE! This is the big one. I made the comment in another thread that trading Karlsson would be the equivalent of removing the only properly functioning organ from the body of a terminally ill patient in order to "cure" them. I feel that I can make a pretty strong argument as to why Karlsson is the top player in the game right now, and this season, he showed the skill and determination to back that up. Even so, he's already making comments about how he wants to and thinks he can improve. Why on earth you'd ever consider dealing a guy like that is totally beyond me. To be blunt, it's flat out moronic.

Third, let's take a look at the free agents. With all due respect to Chris Phillips and my immense appreciation to what he has meant for Ottawa, it's time to move on. I tend to suspect that Phillips will retire anyway, so let's send him off as a hero and free up the cap space. Alex Chiasson... thanks, but no thanks. I had some hopes for him when we got him in the Spezza trade, but quite frankly, he's been a bust. Patrick Wiercioch, same story. He's been one of the biggest problems in a bad defensive unit. I wouldn't even make a qualifying offer. Cody Ceci, on the other hand, I think I'd hang on to. There has been some noticeable growth, and I think he could still be a solid player for us. I would, however, want to try to make sure he's a third pair guy. Scott Gomez? Gone. I have no idea why we brought him in to begin with. I'm undecided about Matt Puempel at the moment, though I think I'd lean toward moving on. I'm keeping Ryan Dzingel. I'm also going to give Hoffman a raise. Maybe still not quite as much as he really wants, but he certainly earned a nice boost.

Now, trades. One of my top priorities there is to try to deal Clarke MacArthur. It might be hard because of his injury issues, but that wouldn't stop me from trying. We were, after all, able to deal Legwand and Greening, so we'll find someone desperate enough with enough patience. I'd just see who I could get the best draft pick from and go with it. I'd also make a move in goaltending. I think Matt O'Connor is ready, so I'd make space for him. I'd trade Anderson to do so, because he should have the best market value. I know where I'd look too: Calgary. I'd want to add another good defenseman, and Calgary has plenty of them and no goaltending. I don't know if it would be a doable deal, but I'd try for Giordano. The Flames would get a massive upgrade in Anderson and would keep their young guns on the blue line, while Ottawa would get a very nice upgrade in back. Packages and draft choices would be considered to try to make this deal if it's possible. Yes, I know there's the injury issue, but I still view it as a gamble worth taking.

Now, we need to do something about the left side of the forward corps. With the cap space hopefully cleared up with the moves above, I'd try to make a solid addition in free agency. Two guys I'd look at would be Teddy Purcell and Andrew Ladd. I'd put out feelers for them and see if I could get a nibble and if so, where I could get the best deal. I think I'd also look at David Dziurzynski as a more full-time NHL'er at left wing. Before I move on from free agency signings though, I'd see if I could attract a guy like Kris Russell as well. Great defense, and excellent shot-blocking.

So, doing all of that (assuming it could all be done, which yes, I know is a stretch), I get a lineup like this:

First Line: Mike Hoffman, Kyle Turris, Mark Stone

Second Line: Teddy Purcell/Andrew Ladd, Mika Zibanejad, Bobby Ryan

Third Line: Zach Smith, Curtis Lazar, Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Fourth Line: David Dziurzynski, Ryan Dzingel, Chris Neil

First Defensive Pair: Erik Karlsson, Mark Giordano

Second Defensive Pair: Dion Phaneuf, Marc Methot

Third Defensive Pair: Cody Ceci, Kris Russell

Goaltenders: Andrew Hammond, Matt O'Connor

Yes, you'd probably have to plug some different names into some of those slots. As I noted above, the exact scenario is a long shot, but I think those are the kinds of moves that need to be made. This is just one example of the sorts of things that could be done, and I think the fan base would be a lot happier. Whether they stayed happy would be a question of performance. But, at least something like this would give us a shot.

The Flames signed Giordano to a long term deal, no way no how is he going anywhere.

As for Ladd he will be pursued heavily, but Ottawa if they are willing to spend the money could certainly be in the running. I might go a bit younger, I feel his best days are clearly behind him and he will begin to slip soon. Hudler or Purcell, either one would be a good fit. This is a very deep and talented free agent class.

As for defenseman, I have been critical that the Sens have been throwing hot garbage out on the blue line and hoping that untalented AHL players will suddenly figure out how to play. Russell is the shot blocker of shot blockers and is going to command more than his actual value should but that is free agency, you overpay or someone else does. I think he would be a solid fit.

As for another veteran d-man, I don't think Giordano will move but short term Wideman from Calgary might be a nice fit. The Flames have Gio, Brodie and Hamilton who are all brilliant offensive d-men so Wideman who is aging but can still carry the puck nicely could be had. And after his idiocy with hitting ref Don Henderson this year, a change of scenery might be in order. He has a heavy shot and is responsible on both ends of the ice.

No way no how is Karlsson getting dealt. I think you can relax there.

As for in net, do you return both Anderson and Hammond? Personally I do. The Sens were bottom tier in goals against but that is mostly due to the AHL defense they were playing half the time, if you add a shot blocker like Russell and a puck mover like Wideman and have a full season of Phaneuf, it has to get better.

And finally I agree Cameron got the short shift. You cannot go from the penthouse to the outhouse in one year, but as I have said before, no matter how bad they play it is still a lot easier to fire a coach than to fire 20 players. I still think McLean got a raw deal, lol.

@yave1964 Obviously, I didn't think about the Giordano contract extension, but Wideman would work as well. Purcell would actually be my first pick for left wing, but Hudler wouldn't be a bad addition either. He is 32 now, but he seems to be in a career revival, so having him around wouldn't be so bad.

As for my reasoning behind trading Anderson, it's in large part due to the fact that since I think O'Connor is ready, there's really no point in carrying three NHL goalies, and that I don't think all of those moves I laid out are possible without unloading his salary in the process. A virtually even salary trade of him for a solid d-man allows the other trades and not resigning certain free agents to fill the other holes, but I just don't think we can do all of that and keep Anderson.

If, however, we decide to keep Anderson, I'd much prefer to focus on the blue line over the forwards. Phaneuf was a start, but he's just that: a start. That still leaves us with three "real" NHL defensemen (Methot being the third, of course) with the possibility of a fourth in Ceci. Even if Ceci pans out (which, from my post above, I obvious want to find out) that still leaves two guys that I'm completely uncomfortable putting on the ice. So, if we keep Anderson, we could go for someone like Wideman with some kind of draft pick deal, and I'd still love to get Russell on free agency. I remember how effective Volchenkov was for us, and I'd like to bring that aspect back to our blue line.

Anyway, to become a true contender, I think a full package of deals similar to what I laid out is needed. It would be tough to do, but I do think it's possible. Even so, if we fix the blue line, we're at least a playoff team. Give Karlsson a bit more help back there and he's freed up even more than he is now (assuming we don't screw up by hiring a coach that tries to reign him in), and I think Ottawa fans will like the result, especially considering that Karlsson himself has identified areas in which he wants to improve. I mean, the guy just had an MVP-caliber season and sounds dissatisfied with his personal performance.

Archived