Eastern Conference QF Game 2 - Flyers at Capitals - Apr 16 2016 - 7:00 ET

brelic

3 hours ago, eleven24 said:

I remember the same thing being said by fans about Patrick Sharp and Justin Williams.  "They are at best a fringe NHL player... trade him"

Sharp, a late 3rd round pick, was traded at age 24 after playing 3 years in the Flyers organization.  He went on to be a key piece to the Hawks Cup runs.

Williams, a late 1st round pick, was traded at age 23 to Carolina after 4 years with the Flyers.  He was a key piece in their Cup championship, and then a key piece in the LA Kings Cup Championships.  Even won the Conn Smythe.

I'm not saying that Read is Sharp or Williams, but there is a need for players such as Read.  This is Read's 5th season as a Flyer.   The problem is the Flyers are asking him to be more than he is, which should be nothing more than a 3/4 line player.  

The comparisons to Sharp and Williams don't really jive.  At 29 years old and 355 games played for the Flyers, Matt Read, is pretty much a finished product at this point.  The other difference is that year 5+ is where the careers for both Sharp and Williams took off.  Matt Read has regressed and is statistically going the other way at years 4 and 5.  I understand you need players like Read, the problem is the team has too many 3rd/4th line types and not enough skill at the top to round out the 1st and 2nd lines.  There is also players like Taylor Leier coming up through the system that can give you exactly what Read gives them now or better for a fraction of Read's cap hit.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived