Detroit Red Wings best and Worst trades ever

yave1964

It is a damn good thing the Wings are good at drafting and until recently signing free agents, because they have a long history of bad trades which outnumber the good by a long mile.

THE BEST:

KRIS DRAPER FROM THE JETS FOR ONE DOLLAR th?id=OIP.M0856ce85905ccc0a280ef94b79c94 , KIRK MALTBY FROM THE OILERS FOR DAN MCGILLIS

Draper was doing nothing in Winnipeg and Maltby looked like a bust in Edmonton, both came over for nothing and formed two thirds of the grind line, the best fourth line in Hockey for over a decade. McGillis had a decent career but was a wash out in Edmonton before putting it together elsewhere. Draper and Maltby won 4 cups each in Detroit and played over 2000 games between them.

BRENDAN th?id=OIP.M4441edab89adaed5d0dcc2de73329 SHANAHAN FROM THE WHALERS FOR PRIMEAU AND COFFEY

A mega deal netted the Wings the missing piece, a rugged power forward who could score 40 goals a year with 100 PIMs and a motor that never shut off, Coffey was close to done, Primeau after being sort of a bust in Detroit had a good career until derailed by concussions but Shanny was the final piece to the Wings getting over the hump.

LARRY MURPHY FROM THE LEAFS FOR NOTHING. LITERALLY, NOTHING.

Murph was HATED in Toronto after signing a big contract and the team not turning around, he played good hockey with the Leafs but was booed out of town, he came to Detroit in a deadline deal in 1997 and paired with Lidstrom who said he learned more in one month with Murphy than he did with any partner ever as far as positioning goes.

CHRIS th?id=OIP.M41177b1b961cb6a05ba4d60fd8070 CHELIOS FROM THE HAWKS FOR ANDERS ERIKSSON

The Hawks were in a funk of not knowing talent from anything and rebuilding, they traded the aging Cheli for the young Eriksson. Cheli played for a decade in Detroit with a nasty snarl and won two cups, Eriksson played one full season in Chicago before being dealt, he bounced around for a decade as a 7th d-man with bad teams.

DANNY th?id=OIP.M9d4e4696f667bb3ead5a03d2dab45 GRANT FOR HENRY BOUCHA

Grant was my hero as a kid, he scored 50 in his first season in Detroit before back and knee injuries slowed him and eventually ruined his career. Boucha scored 15 in his only season with the North Stars before a horrible eye injury cost him a career.

THE WORST:

Oh God, where to begin.

MARCEL th?id=OIP.M8796c0b0de304d9a9e671e3ecacb0 DIONNE TO THE KINGS FOR A COUPLE OF FADED VETS.

Okay so Dionne was a pain in the ass kid with a chip on is shoulder and the Kings were willing to pay a, ahem, Kings ransom in salary and the Wings were not, Dionne went on to have a hall of fame career as one of the leagues top ten scorers of all time.

ADAM th?id=OIP.M13e9158ee3ff4045ba4fd81a36a8d OATES AND PAUL MACLEAN TO THE BLUES FOR ONE SEASON OF BERNIE FEDERKO AND A MONTH OF TONY MCKEGNEY

The Wings in the late eighties were showing promise, they had two prized jewels down the middle in Stevie and Oates and decided veteran leadership is what they needed so they donated Oates and 30 goals scorer MacLean to the Blues for Federko who played one forgettable year and McKegney who was rotten and given away to the Nordiques for nothing. Oates of course became a Hall of Fame center as one of the most gifted set up men in history. Can you imagine Yzerman, Federov and Oates down the middle on the same team?

TED LINDSEY AND GLENN th?id=OIP.M8771702a47229a966a59ed17c8416 HALL TO THE HAWKS FOR A BUNCH OF GUYS WHO NOBODY REMEMBERS

The Wings reacquired Terry Sawchuk in a rotten deal with Boston giving up Johnny 'Chief' Bucyk who scored 500 goals in Boston, so to make it worse they donated the younger Hall to Chicago for Johnny Wilson, Forbes Kennedy and Hank Bassen none of whom did anything in Detroit. Hall led the Hawks to a Stanley Cup and kept them relevant for a decade before moving on to the expansion Blues and leading them to three straight cup finals. One of the 10 greatest goalies of all time.

JIMMY CARSON FROM THE OILERS FOR PETR KLIMA, ADAM th?id=OIP.M2126a495b1aaadaa56b0da48facd6 GRAVES, AND JOE MURPHY

Here is Carson again, he appears on the worst trade list for several teams. He toiled amid a shower of boo and hisses for several years in Detroit while the return were key pieces in Edmonton capturing a cup and Graves went on to a  brilliant career as one of the true nice guys in hockey, beloved by fans and teammates alike.

MURRAY CRAVEN FROM THE FLYERS FOR THE REMAINS OF DARRYL SITTLER

Craven had a solid career playing over 1000 games and scoring 266 goals after leaving Detroit , Sittler was done, a shell of his former self in his only season in Detroit.

HONORABLE MENTIONS: I could have listed all of these seperate but ran out of space, ROBERTY LANG from the Capitals for young THOMAS FLEISCHMANN and a first rounder which turned into MIKE GREEN. Lang was mediocre for a couple of years. BOB ESSENSA from the Jets for DALLAS DRAKE, Drake played over 1000 games, Essensa was the worst big game goalie of all time and was gone in a matter of months after ruining the 1994 season singlehandedly. GARRY UNGER to the Blues for a couple of seasons worth of RED BERENSON. Red was good but went back tot eh Blues after a few seasons and played another 5 years there, Unger set the iron man record scoring 35-40 goals a year like punching a clock. MIKE FOLIGNO to Buffalo in a big trade that netted the Wings DANNY GARE. Gare was never the same player in Detroit as he had been in Buffalo, while Foligno went on to score 247 goals for Buffalo as a huge fan favorite.

Well that is the Wings list. Very ugly, lol.

Nice list!  I wanted to get your opinion on something, and it didn't make your list.  Frank Mahovlich to the Habs for Mickey Redmond.  I've seen it go back and forth saying that it was a lousy trade or it was a decent trade that turning into bad luck for the Wings because of Mick's back injury.  What say you?

11 hours ago, WingNut722 said:

Nice list!  I wanted to get your opinion on something, and it didn't make your list.  Frank Mahovlich to the Habs for Mickey Redmond.  I've seen it go back and forth saying that it was a lousy trade or it was a decent trade that turning into bad luck for the Wings because of Mick's back injury.  What say you?

I did not know where to include it, Mickey came had several great years with the Wings, scoring 42-52 and 51 goals over the first three seasons  and then his career went off the rails due to injuries, the Big M only played three and a half seasons in Montreal with two brilliant ones and one good one before bolting the WHA. He won a cup and was instrumental in doing so in 1971. He also was big in the cup victory in 1973.

The big M in 263 games scored 129 goals and 310 points. And he won those two cups. He was 6th and 7th in the league in scoring in his two best years and was a first team all star once with Montreal.

Mickey in 317 games scored 177 goals and 310 points. He was a first team all star once and a second team all star once, and he was second in all of hockey in goals one year, third in another and the year that Mahovlich was 6th in scoring, Mickey was 7th.

And it was not stragiht up Mickey for Frank, the Wings also acquired Guy Charron, a slippery talented little scoring center who was a nice little third line center behind Dionne and iconic Captain Delvecchio. Charron played 5 seasons peaking at 55 points. And we also added Bill Collins a middle six winger who played three and a half seasons in Detroit scoring 20 plus goals twice.

And then while not an on the ice factor, to me you have to consider that Mickey came to stay. He joined the Wings 45 years ago and has never left for very long. His homerism as an announcer, his love for the rough stuff and man crushes that he develops for power forwards is comical and part of the Wings lore.

I have heard my entire life that we lost the deal but I do not see it. 3 years of Mahovlich netted two cups and some nice stats but Mickey matched them by himself, Charron and Collins were very nice players and Mickey is still hear 45 years later. To me it is a no brainer that the Wings won the deal hands down not even close but greater minds than mine have said for years that we lost the deal. It makes no sense where they are coming from.

The other deal is the one where we added the bog M from Toronto for a package that included Normie Ullman and Paul Henderson, people say we lost that one but the players we added played a ton more games and scored a lopsided amount more for the Wings thab what we shipped to the Leafs. I feel we clearly won that one as well, but I dont want to come across as a homer. Believe me I call a spade a spade and we have lost our share of trades over the years but to your point, the big M for Mickey and a package, not even close, we won that one hands down.

@yave1964

Good to hear you say that.  I've always WANTED to believe that the Wings did well on that deal but I grew up with Mickey in the booth, not on the ice, and I gotta say, I love Mickey and I feel I'm forever biased by the only man in the world who would compare a goalmouth scramble to "six hungry lumberjacks going after the last pork chop"  I mean, honestly, where DOES he come up with this stuff!

Mickey Redmond is one man I would love to go drinking with!

Archived