Sharks Opening Night Roster

no1sjsharksfan

The opening night roster, in my mind, turned out just as we expected. Dylan DeMelo is the 7th defenseman. Timo Meier made the team (although, did he deserve it?). Mueller is given more time to develop. What do you think of the opening night lineup? Here's what we've got:

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski

Boedker-Couture-Donskoi

Marleau-Tierney-Ward

Nieto-Karlsson-Wingels

Haley-Meier

Vlasic-Braun

Martin-Burns

Schlemko-Dillon

DeMelo

Jones

Dell

My first question is who is going to center the 4th line? Some nights it will be tough guy Michael Haley. What about other nights? Wingels was a center in college and early in his development. Karlsson played center oversees. Tierney has earned a third line role this year, although you could have Marleau as the 3C and bump Tierney down.

Next, in the Meier-LaBanc saga, why did Meier earn a roster spot over LaBanc? Meier basically didn't participate in training camp due to mono. LaBanc shined. I think this is more of a development standpoint for LaBanc, but at the same token, why not put Meier in a situation where he can play every night and not sit in the press box? There is no issue with having 22 players on the roster. Unless he earned a spot in the top 9...?

Aaron Dell is an unproven backup, as much of the media would like to point out. Hopefully he can play well when he gets a chance. Look for Martin Jones to play 60+ games this year.

4 hours ago, no1sjsharksfan said:

The opening night roster, in my mind, turned out just as we expected. Dylan DeMelo is the 7th defenseman. Timo Meier made the team (although, did he deserve it?). Mueller is given more time to develop. What do you think of the opening night lineup? Here's what we've got:

Hertl-Thornton-Pavelski

Boedker-Couture-Donskoi

Marleau-Tierney-Ward

Nieto-Karlsson-Wingels

Haley-Meier

Vlasic-Braun

Martin-Burns

Schlemko-Dillon

DeMelo

Jones

Dell

My first question is who is going to center the 4th line? Some nights it will be tough guy Michael Haley. What about other nights? Wingels was a center in college and early in his development. Karlsson played center oversees. Tierney has earned a third line role this year, although you could have Marleau as the 3C and bump Tierney down.

Next, in the Meier-LaBanc saga, why did Meier earn a roster spot over LaBanc? Meier basically didn't participate in training camp due to mono. LaBanc shined. I think this is more of a development standpoint for LaBanc, but at the same token, why not put Meier in a situation where he can play every night and not sit in the press box? There is no issue with having 22 players on the roster. Unless he earned a spot in the top 9...?

Aaron Dell is an unproven backup, as much of the media would like to point out. Hopefully he can play well when he gets a chance. Look for Martin Jones to play 60+ games this year.

Tierney will C the 4th line like last year. Marleau the 3rd. Acquiring Boedker was a good move and gives up more depth up front to bump Patty Back to C.

Meier is probably being given a 9 game shot to see if he can stick. Labanc shined but still as some AHL to do since he is closer to the end of his ELC and would have to pass through waivers. Meier is Waiver exempt.

And Yeah, Jones will get a heavy workload :)

22 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Tierney will C the 4th line like last year. Marleau the 3rd. Acquiring Boedker was a good move and gives up more depth up front to bump Patty Back to C.

Meier is probably being given a 9 game shot to see if he can stick. Labanc shined but still as some AHL to do since he is closer to the end of his ELC and would have to pass through waivers. Meier is Waiver exempt.

And Yeah, Jones will get a heavy workload :)

Actually, all indications so far is that Wingels is the fourth line center, while Tierney is the third line center. At least for right now. Could change at any point.

Meier actually is AHL eligible this year (being 20+ and previously playing in the CHL), so they will send him back to the Barracuda once he fully recovers from mono.

Both LaBanc and Meier are in their first year of the ELC, have not reached enough pro games (both 0 at this point) to require waivers. LaBanc played in the OHL last season, while Meier played in the Q, which means that the first year of the ELC was not used (although the players did make a very little amount of money).

I agree with you on LaBanc. He could use some AHL time (like Meier). I see him as the first call up if a top 9 player goes down with injury. Goodrow (who had a great camp) would be a bottom 6 call up.

3 hours ago, no1sjsharksfan said:

Actually, all indications so far is that Wingels is the fourth line center, while Tierney is the third line center. At least for right now. Could change at any point.

Meier actually is AHL eligible this year (being 20+ and previously playing in the CHL), so they will send him back to the Barracuda once he fully recovers from mono.

Both LaBanc and Meier are in their first year of the ELC, have not reached enough pro games (both 0 at this point) to require waivers. LaBanc played in the OHL last season, while Meier played in the Q, which means that the first year of the ELC was not used (although the players did make a very little amount of money).

I agree with you on LaBanc. He could use some AHL time (like Meier). I see him as the first call up if a top 9 player goes down with injury. Goodrow (who had a great camp) would be a bottom 6 call up.

Hmm, I thought Labanc was signed a year earlier than Meier. You are probably right.

Archived