Penalties that become penalty shots in the last two minutes or OT

timelydew

Okay, one more rule q. Simple, this time. I feel simple in asking!

A couple of situations that call for minor penalties in the book become penalty shots if they are committed when there is "insufficient time in the regular playing time" to serve them. This also applies to any time in OT. One of these is a defending player displacing the goal frame intentionally.

I feel brain dead for asking, but does this mean that 1:59 must be remaining in regulation for this to kick in? Technically, the rule doesn't even mention two minutes, it just says by reason of "insufficient playing time." So I guess if two minutes remain exactly, it can be served in its entirety?

Just double checking. I like to think I'm not stupid, just someone who likes to make sure everything is what it seems.

Still feeling dumb. I assume I'm right?  Don't be too hard on me. :)

9 hours ago, timelydew said:

Okay, one more rule q. Simple, this time. I feel simple in asking!

A couple of situations that call for minor penalties in the book become penalty shots if they are committed when there is "insufficient time in the regular playing time" to serve them. This also applies to any time in OT. One of these is a defending player displacing the goal frame intentionally.

I feel brain dead for asking, but does this mean that 1:59 must be remaining in regulation for this to kick in? Technically, the rule doesn't even mention two minutes, it just says by reason of "insufficient playing time." So I guess if two minutes remain exactly, it can be served in its entirety?

Just double checking. I like to think I'm not stupid, just someone who likes to make sure everything is what it seems.

Still feeling dumb. I assume I'm right?  Don't be too hard on me. :)

I've never heard of this rule.  :IDunnoSmiley:

I've seen penalties called with only 10 seconds remaining in a blowout game that was never going to go to overtime, and in every case it was the usual 2 minute infraction, or 5 minutes for fighting, or the usual game misconduct. I have never seen a penalty converted into a penalty shot because of insufficient time remaining. I dare say it doesn't happen. :)

In fact, if you look at the history of the NHL, even in situations that call for penalty shots, referees rarely (if ever) call a penalty shot. Prior to the introduction of the shootout, penalty shots were so rare that they were broadcast as a league-wide highlight among all NHL games. ie: If you were watching the Leafs game for example, they would pause to show you a penalty shot between Pittsburgh and someone else for example. Sort of like a perfect game in baseball. 

5 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I've never heard of this rule.  :IDunnoSmiley:

I've seen penalties called with only 10 seconds remaining in a blowout game that was never going to go to overtime, and in every case it was the usual 2 minute infraction, or 5 minutes for fighting, or the usual game misconduct. I have never seen a penalty converted into a penalty shot because of insufficient time remaining. I dare say it doesn't happen. :)

In fact, if you look at the history of the NHL, even in situations that call for penalty shots, referees rarely (if ever) call a penalty shot. Prior to the introduction of the shootout, penalty shots were so rare that they were broadcast as a league-wide highlight among all NHL games. ie: If you were watching the Leafs game for example, they would pause to show you a penalty shot between Pittsburgh and someone else for example. Sort of like a perfect game in baseball. 

It is indeed a thing. Only for displacing the net and deliberate illegal Substitution.

If either of these are committed in the last two minutes or any time in ot, it's a penalty shot because of insufficient time remaining in regulation to serve it. They just apply  that to all of OT.

"If by reason of insufficient time in the regular playing time or by 

reason of penalties already imposed, the minor penalty assessed to a player for deliberately displacing his own goal post cannot be served in its entirety within the regular playing time of the game or at any time in overtime, a penalty shot shall be awarded against the offending 
team."

Archived