Re-Signed: Austin Watson (3 years, $1.1M)

Poile's busy week continues, Watson had a semi-breakout last season, or more accurately he found his niche in the league. He was a first round pick who was on the verge of being a real bust last summer, he was sent through waivers unclaimed at the beginning of the season and most in Preds land believed that was the end of his chance at being an NHL player. 

Yet he worked on becoming more of the agitating grinder and made the most of his call-up, to the point where he became the best 4th liner on the team and was able to move up to the third line in a pinch. He showed a willingness to drop the gloves, but became much more effective once Cody McLeod joined the team and took over in that department which allowed Watson to focus more on hitting and providing depth scoring. He was very effective in the playoffs by laying big hits and getting under opponents skin, especially in the first and second round against the Hawks and Blues.

$1.1M is also a good price for his role and keeps some flexibility available to re-sign Johansen at 8x8 and bring back Fisher in the $4M range which would complete the lineup for next season.

So you really think Mike Fisher will be back eh?  I was thinking the signing of Bonino meant Fisher was thinking of retiring.    Taking into account that they sign Johansen, they will have 14 forwards signed, adding Fisher makes 15.   Who do you think goes to the AHL then?

10 hours ago, hf101 said:

So you really think Mike Fisher will be back eh?  I was thinking the signing of Bonino meant Fisher was thinking of retiring.    Taking into account that they sign Johansen, they will have 14 forwards signed, adding Fisher makes 15.   Who do you think goes to the AHL then?

Just looking at contracts, *if* Fisher is back then someone like Gaudreau and Fiala are both waiver exempt. I know Gaudreau made a bit of a splash, but the Preds are a bit stocked at C especially if Fisher comes back. They could also afford to part with McLeod from where I sit (if they wanted to).

Gaudreau would go to Milwaukee. Bitetto is probably on his way there as well since he's now the 8th defenseman, which sucks since he opened as #5 last season but was injured in the first game and just never got healthy. 

Archived