Central Hockey League

Trefilov22

Does anyone remember the old Central Hockey League?  They had teams in the Central part of the U.S.  I seem to remember that some of the teams may have gotten gobbled up by the ECHL but can't say for certain.  I used to love going to to old San Antonio Iguana's games.  I was making like $5 an hour at my crappy job, but always found ways to scrounge up the money to go to 15 or so games a year.  

Unfortunately now, I live near St,. Louis and minor league hockey is a thing of the past.  But I used to love those games!  Those guys played with some serious heart out there, and they were especially fan friendly.  We used to go out to parties after games with the players and such.  Was awesome!

8 hours ago, Trefilov22 said:

Does anyone remember the old Central Hockey League?  They had teams in the Central part of the U.S.  I seem to remember that some of the teams may have gotten gobbled up by the ECHL but can't say for certain.  I used to love going to to old San Antonio Iguana's games.  I was making like $5 an hour at my crappy job, but always found ways to scrounge up the money to go to 15 or so games a year.  

Unfortunately now, I live near St,. Louis and minor league hockey is a thing of the past.  But I used to love those games!  Those guys played with some serious heart out there, and they were especially fan friendly.  We used to go out to parties after games with the players and such.  Was awesome!

The only team I remember is the St. Louis Braves! 

@Trefilov22,

I got to see two or three Iguanas games before they folded.  They were interesting to say the least.  Then you had the two fat guys in the skin tight suits running around the Freeman Coliseum balcony whenever the Iguanas scored.  People still talk about those guys.

A lot of those old Iguanas players are still around. Several of them became firemen for the city.  I don't see them on the ice so much any more.  Usually only for tournaments.

Firemen?  That's wild!  I used to go all the time.  The best time I remember was skategate against OKC I believe.  It was like a 45 minute brawl after the game was over.. Coaches were fighting, players were fighting, goalies were fighting..  They had to send in SAPD to break it up..  Funny watching those guys on the ice trying to break up fights. 

They would throw guys off the ice, and then they would just fight in the stands area.  It was an amazing spectacle!

Archived