Jump to content
You are a guest user Click to join the site
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

yave1964

Black Hawks down! Year in review

Recommended Posts

Next out of the hopper.....

 

PRESEASON OUTLOOK The hope was that missing the playoffs the year before was a blip on the radar and they would bounce back with a healthy Crawford and a veteran but still very good cast making another run. It didn't quite work out that way but they were actually competitive.

 

FINAL RECORD 36-34-12 84 Points, 6 points behind the Avalanche for the final playoff spot. Truthfully they were in it until the final week.

 

LOW POINT OF THE YEAR: the Hawks went through October starting an impressive 6-2-2 and then the wheels fell off, From October 27th through December 16th they went an awful 4-17-4 costing long time legendary coach Quenneville his job and essentially wrecking their season. After losing to the Sharks on that date they sat at 10-19-6 and all signs pointed to the season being done.

 

HIGH POINT OF THE YEAR: Pretty much everything from that date went right. Jeremy Colliton pushed all the right buttons as the new coach, a few trades worked, a few minor league callups came through and Patrik Kane picked the team up on his shoulders and damn near stole a playoff spot for the Hawks. From that wreckage of a start on the Hawks finished by going 26-15-6 giving lots of hope for the future.

 

WHAT WENT RIGHT: Well Colliton was booed every time his picture was on the jumbotron early but he did a terrific job with this club, he made Bowman look smart. Speaking of Bowman he traded for Strome who finally discovered his game with the Hawks, Strome had 51 points in 58 games, Perlini the throw in in the deal was solid, Drake Caggiula came aboard and was not horrible. Kane if the Hawks had made the playoffs would have garnered Hart consideration, Toews had his best overall year in five years. Debrincat scored 41 goals Eric Gustafsson came from absolute nowhere to score 60 points from the back end. Keith and Seabrook playing less minutes to avoid fatigue ahd their best season in years. Kahun looks like a real deal middle six center. Oh and then they watched the ping pong balls fall just right, they ended up with the third pick in the coming draft. IMHO of all the teams who missed the playoffs with the possible exception of the Rangers I feel the Hawks are trending the highest.

 

WHAT WENT WRONG Crawford was ordinary and concussed again, Ward looks like he is ready for the 19th hole, Delia is expected to be the goalie of the future but after a hit start was pretty awful, Kunitz simply cannot play anymore and the same goes for Marcus Kruger.

 

FREE AGENTS Kruger/Kunitz/Ward are all gone which is addition by subtraction. Gustafsson is an UFA at the end of next season and they need to figure out how to come up with the money to pay the man as he is Hockeys biggest bargain at 1.2 million for both the season just past and next year as a 60 point blueliner. 

 

OFFSEASON QUESTION MARKS Do they keep Crawford who has only one year left on his deal or try to deal him and roll the dice with Delia? Can they resign Gustafsson and do they think the monster year is a real progession of skill or a fluke? Who do they take with the third pick in the draft? Is Strome for real? 

  They took a step back but unlike teams such as Detroit and the Kings the Hawks instead of falling off the cliff appear to have retooled and look ready to make another run in arguably the games toughest division. Cap space is as always their biggest concern but they are certainly trending up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading Kahun and a 5th for Maata is probably a step in the right direction.  The Blackhawks' issues are all about their blueline.  They could also use some secondary scoring too.  Kane and Toews and to a lesser extent DeBrincat are most of Chicago's offense.  They'll have to take steps to address that.  Colliton didn't seem to have too much trouble getting that club to play hard which is a good sign for them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Trading Kahun and a 5th for Maata is probably a step in the right direction.  The Blackhawks' issues are all about their blueline.  They could also use some secondary scoring too.  Kane and Toews and to a lesser extent DeBrincat are most of Chicago's offense.  They'll have to take steps to address that.  Colliton didn't seem to have too much trouble getting that club to play hard which is a good sign for them.  

I am not a Maatta fan, not much there IMHO. He broke in a house afire seven years ago and just fizzled out, he is a third pair stay at home guy which every team needs but there are cheaper better options. And Kahun as a 23 year old rookie had a solid year working his way up by years end to the second line and drawing praise from Toews for his speed and creativity. Frankly I think Chicago got hosed on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I am not a Maatta fan, not much there IMHO. He broke in a house afire seven years ago and just fizzled out, he is a third pair stay at home guy which every team needs but there are cheaper better options. And Kahun as a 23 year old rookie had a solid year working his way up by years end to the second line and drawing praise from Toews for his speed and creativity. Frankly I think Chicago got hosed on this one.

 

Wonderful.  Do Chicago fans really ask Red Wings fans for how they see their team?  They need to improve their defense more than they need scoring.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

 

Wonderful.  Do Chicago fans really ask Red Wings fans for how they see their team?  They need to improve their defense more than they need scoring.  

I am a HOCKEY fan. I am entitled to my opinion based on fact that Maatta is entirely overrated, he does nothing particularly poorly but nothing particularly well. Rather a snarky comment out of you and entirely uncalled for sir.Do Penguin fans really ask Wild fans for how they see their team? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

I am a HOCKEY fan. I am entitled to my opinion based on fact that Maatta is entirely overrated, he does nothing particularly poorly but nothing particularly well. Rather a snarky comment out of you and entirely uncalled for sir.Do Penguin fans really ask Wild fans for how they see their team? 

 

Hmm, I dunno, I see Chicago play a lot more than an Eastern Conference fan does.  And because of NBCSN I get to see Pittsburgh way more than I ever wanted to.  So I'm pretty familiar with Olli Maatta too.  I don't care what Penguin fans want.  I never said Maatta is going to change Chicago's fortunes all by himself.  But they are looking for experience without resorting to adding 'old' players.  As @Ruxpin said on a different thread but on the same topic.  Its a classic change of scenery trade.  

 

Kahun seemed to have real potential.  Now its up to Maata to make Chicago look smart, or look foolish.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

 

Hmm, I dunno, I see Chicago play a lot more than an Eastern Conference fan does.  And because of NBCSN I get to see Pittsburgh way more than I ever wanted to.  So I'm pretty familiar with Olli Maatta too.  I don't care what Penguin fans want.  I never said Maatta is going to change Chicago's fortunes all by himself.  But they are looking for experience without resorting to adding 'old' players.  As @Ruxpin said on a different thread but on the same topic.  Its a classic change of scenery trade.  

 

Kahun seemed to have real potential.  Now its up to Maata to make Chicago look smart, or look foolish.  

Ummm,  Pittsburgh is in the East. I see them quite a lot with the wife being a rabid Jackets fan. More or less our order of games goes 1)Wings 2) CBJ 3) anyone playing andhopefuly beating the Pens. I have developed a tremendous respect for the game Crosby plays by watching them the third most of any team that I watch. Maatta- not so much.

 

 Zero offense, okay, a decent clearing pass but no shot at all. He probably misses the net low and to the right more than anyone in the game. Not a shot pass, watch Maatta he shoots when he has no other option and has some mustard on it but he misses five feet wide an insane amount of time.

  He doesn't like to play the body, preferring to play the puck in his zone he is skilled with that but gets burned quite a lot by more skilled players. Cam Atkinson for instance seems to own him, Atkinson is a little guy who if you develop a physical presence early sometimes doesn't show up the rest of the game, he feasts on Maatta because neither likes the body play and Cam is a more skilled player. So I rate Maatta's hockey IQ a bit deficient as he hasn't learned how to deal with that type of player. Overall he is solid defensively within the realm of his game.

  So I am not saying he is bad, just not owrth the money, not worth the cost of a 23 year old Kahun, there were better cheaper options for a stay at home defender with little or no offense who doesn't play the body. And I do watch the Penguins more than you, I pretty much would put money on it with you being a West Coast fan and all. I. know. My. Stuff. 

 That satisfactory? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Ummm,  Pittsburgh is in the East. I see them quite a lot with the wife being a rabid Jackets fan. More or less our order of games goes 1)Wings 2) CBJ 3) anyone playing andhopefuly beating the Pens. I have developed a tremendous respect for the game Crosby plays by watching them the third most of any team that I watch. Maatta- not so much.

 

 Zero offense, okay, a decent clearing pass but no shot at all. He probably misses the net low and to the right more than anyone in the game. Not a shot pass, watch Maatta he shoots when he has no other option and has some mustard on it but he misses five feet wide an insane amount of time.

  He doesn't like to play the body, preferring to play the puck in his zone he is skilled with that but gets burned quite a lot by more skilled players. Cam Atkinson for instance seems to own him, Atkinson is a little guy who if you develop a physical presence early sometimes doesn't show up the rest of the game, he feasts on Maatta because neither likes the body play and Cam is a more skilled player. So I rate Maatta's hockey IQ a bit deficient as he hasn't learned how to deal with that type of player. Overall he is solid defensively within the realm of his game.

  So I am not saying he is bad, just not owrth the money, not worth the cost of a 23 year old Kahun, there were better cheaper options for a stay at home defender with little or no offense who doesn't play the body. And I do watch the Penguins more than you, I pretty much would put money on it with you being a West Coast fan and all. I. know. My. Stuff. 

 That satisfactory? 

 

(yawn)  Cam Atkinson eh?  Yes, that means a lot to this conversation about Olli Maatta and Dominik Kahun doesn't it?  Great, you don't like Maatta, I think anyone that reads this thread got that with your 2nd post.  Kahun has promise, but a savvy team can find more players like him.  Until the Olympics and Kahun's strong play for Team Germany, the Blackhawks were not exactly falling over themselves trying to get him to come over.  Now we'll see how well he meshes in Pittsburgh.  Just as we'll see if Maatta can exhibit some potential in Chicago.  With Jokiharju and Gustafsson, the Blackhawks don't need Maatta to lead the way on their power play.  They're simply looking for a person they feel comfortable playing in a Top-4 role.  They'd rather not rush youngsters to fill those spots.  

 

You watch the Penguins more than I do.  Cool.  Just think about what you said, is that really something to be proud of?  I am just stating facts.  But please tell me more about random players that have NOTHING to do with the topic in hand.  Blackhawks is one word by the way 'hockey fan.'  

Edited by CreaseAndAssist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 2
      Post
      I am a HOCKEY fan. I am entitled to my opinion based on fact that Maatta is entirely overrated, he does nothing particularly poorly but nothing particularly well. Rather a snarky comment out of you and entirely uncalled for sir.Do Penguin fans really ask Wild fans for how they see their team? 

Game Room 1

Please enter your display name

×
×
  • Create New...