3rd Period Problems in Goals Against

SaucyJack

Is it time to start worrying that the division leading Caps are just possibly pretenders?

The Capitals goals-against numbers in the 3rd period are troubling...and not just these past two games against NYR where they gave up four third-period goals both times.  I recall several 3-0 final period leads in recent weeks being just enough to hold on in regulation or OT.

So I spent a few minutes tabulating their by-period goals-against for the past two months.  I didn’t distinguish between home and away, and I didn’t count OT and shootout goals.

x-y-z, where x is 1st period, y is 2nd period, z is 3rd period.

February games:  9-13-17

March games:      7-7-21

TOTAL:                  16-20-38

So for the last two months, opponents have scored a bit over HALF their goals against Washington in period three.

I know the regular season can be a drag...little real reward for finishing first so why give anything close to a sustained supreme effort until playoffs.  But if anything resembles the playoffs during the regular season, surely it is the 3rd period?

This is not good, right?